Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw New Mutants as well.

There was potential but it was so rushed that there just wasn't much to grab on to. At a certain point, about halfway through, the movie takes a brief intermission to "lighten up" and the characters are dancing and having fun like something out of a typical teen dramedy, but it just serves to highlight how disjointed and weird it is on the whole.

5/10. Not terrible but not worth the time.

Saw New Mutants as well.

There was potential but it was so rushed that there just wasn't much to grab on to. At a certain point, about halfway through, the movie takes a brief intermission to "lighten up" and the characters are dancing and having fun like something out of a typical teen dramedy, but it just serves to highlight how disjointed and weird it is on the whole.

Does that mean there is more meme material beyond thousands of jokes on how often they delayed its release?

Saw New Mutants as well.

I thought that montage was weird, lol!!! Didn't add much character to them and it gave me tonal whiplash. Also was just very basic.

I don't think the movie needed to be longer. Movie like that should be on the shorter side. But certainly smarter use of character development was needed.

The demise of western comics is completely due to mismanagement. There absolutely is still a massive market for print comics. Just look at the manga industry. It isn't struggling. The American scene is just doing it wrong and has been for decades.

Though ironically, the main thing afflicting the western comic industry is also a major problem in the Japanese *anime* industry: aggressive pursuit of an ever shrinking target market. In both cases, catering to the "whales" ( anime: otaku who buy high profit margin merch; comics: CBG subscribed to a dozen or more titles ) only works until your market consists of literally nothing but them. At which point, congrats, you have no way to *replace* them as they lose interest, or in the extreme case, die from literally aging out of the market.

Though ironically, the main thing afflicting the western comic industry is also a major problem in the Japanese *anime* industry: aggressive pursuit of an ever shrinking target market. In both cases, catering to the "whales" ( anime: otaku who buy high profit margin merch; comics: CBG subscribed to a dozen or more titles ) only works until your market consists of literally nothing but them. At which point, congrats, you have no way to *replace* them as they lose interest, or in the extreme case, die from literally aging out of the market.

To be fair, this is a problem hitting most industries as there is so much in the way of entertainment options these days. It depends on a lot on a small number of people spending a greatly disproportionate amount of money. Video games would be a good example. A great deal aren't designed for the average player. They are designed for the rich kid that spends $10000 on loot boxes.

RE: BP2: if they’re going ahead and casting folks, I wonder if they’ve decided to recast? It’s not impossible that they’ve rewritten or retooled the existing script, but I wasn’t expecting to hear really any news about the movie for a long time.

I still think T’Challa should be recast. I must admit while I’d be fine with whatever Marvel wants to do I would greatly lose interest in BP 2 if the king is not in it, and they killed him off-screen.

They already killed the character in the MCU so why kill him again?

God, I hope this news shuts Liefeld the hell up. I don't know what I'd do if I saw another tweet of an interview of him talking about how it isn't happening and he's okay with that :funny:

Does anybody here disagree with this? Sounds like a sound strategy to me.

They’ll have no choice but to scale back budget wise but its absolutely do-able. Get characters like Green Arrow and Black Canary that you wouldnt need 100+ mill budgets for. Or, Heck, how about fastracking a Robin/Nightwing movie. Robin is like Batman, he’s a street level hero that you could do on a conservative budget and make big money on.

Other than it completely not understanding modern corporate thinking, sure.

God, I hope this news shuts Liefeld the hell up. I don't know what I'd do if I saw another tweet of an interview of him talking about how it isn't happening and he's okay with that :funny:

Nah, I await his rants about not being involved.

Agreed with all this. Thankfully it seems neither Hemsworth or Feige are done with Thor so at least the possibility for this kind of stuff is still there. The so-called cosmic focus of the MCU going forward should boost the chances too.

So sorry for the late reply.

I agree..Thankfully Thor's not done yet and I am looking forward of how Marvel Studios take Thor from here on. And hopefully they will explore more into the concept of Nine Realms and more into fantasy element.

Actually, we've seen most of the Nine Realms at this point.

In Thor 1, we got Asgard, Midgard and Jotunheim.
In TDW, we got Vanaheim and Svartalfheim.
In Ragnarok, we got Muspelheim and Hel (albeit in flashback).
In IW, we got Nidavellir.

So that's 8 out of the 9 Realms. The only one we haven't seen is Alfheim, and who knows, we may see it in L&T?

Well, Asgard only got destroyed right at the end of Ragnarok, and then, well Thanos happened so it's understandable that we didn't see the reaction to Asgard's destruction in the other Realms. Again, it's entirely possible that we will find out what has been happening in the other realms now that Asgard is gone in L&T.

I respectfully disagree. The entire plot of Ragnarok hinges around Hela trying to find Heimdall's sword so she can use the Bifrost to attack the other Realms. And the Bifrost was pretty important in IW too, with Heimdall sending Hulk to Earth with it, and Thor channelling the Bifrost to travel to Wakanda.

Thanks for your opinion, Fosterson.
And sorry for the late reply (been busy with work and also PS5 in the past week..haha)

While indeed we are already seen most of the realms but it is just on the surface with no character nor personality in it. Thats why I said "barely", not "never" in my previous post.

In Vanaheim, for example..what we actually really know about the world and the people who inhabitant it that makes them distinct from Asgard (and other realms)? I believe the answer is nothing.

Like I said too, Jason Aaron's Thor have many showcase of multiple characters from around the realms that became a big part of the story (not just for background like in the MCU). (Like: The Leagues of the Realms, The World's Councils, etc).

I think thats what lacking in MCU's Thor that I feel it has been a wasted potential.

And I agree with you on Bifrost,,though. Hehe.

Yeah I agree.
Kinda going off that, it did bum me out a bit that their answer for how to fix Thor was basically just turn his franchise into Guardians of the Galaxy .5. From the way they handled the humor, the tone, the action, etc. it just really came off as Guardians lite. Yeah I know Thor's own source material has had that type of sci fi before, Ragnarok was a good movie, and it worked out phenomenally for the MCU and the character; but I feel like if it wasn't for Guardians success they wouldn't have gone that way with it. And we have enough sci fi centric SH stories and heroes. But that's just imo

To your actual point, yeah I wish they leaned more into the Norse stuff as you mentioned and made it a fantasy adventure series. With the first Thor, they did try and explain the whole science (sci-fi) and magic (fantasy) aesthetic and I think for the first movie it worked. But starting with TDW and for sure with Ragnarok they leaned more to the sci fi side. I wanna see stuff like the Midgard Serpent, light elves and dark elves who actually use bows and swords, etc.

I think Thor 2 should've been a quest across at least one of the realms we haven't seen. You know there's some mcguffin and they either have to find it or destroy it they have to travel across Vanaheim, Alfheim, or wherever to complete the quest.

Thor is in an interesting place. Reception wise he's better than he's ever been. But:
-Odin dead
-Frigga dead
-Main timeline Loki dead (although I have a feeling Lady Loki will be introduced into the main timeline sooner rather than later. Also if she will appear I bet Jodie Comer will get the role.)
-Warriors Three dead
-Sif MIA/persona non grata. Maybe she appears in Love & Thunder
-Heimdall dead
-Ragnarok happened
-Asgard the planet/realm destroyed
-Most Asgardians dead
-The Destroyer made into a joke...and dead
-Malekeith, one of Thor's primary enemies, was given a horrible treatment...and is dead

For sure, there's still a lot of ground that can be covered regarding the Thor franchise, but it seems to me like they've knocked off a lot of interesting pieces. Especially for going the fantasy/mythological route down the line. @Iceman is right they can go back and explore that stuff, but I feel like with all those pieces removed they won't. That and MCU Thor has had way more success with sci-fi than the more fantasy stuff.

I feel like both Thor and Wonder Woman kinda dropped the ball at more deeply exploring their cultures in their respective series. One of my huge gripes with Wonder Woman was how the Amazons were handled. And looking back at Thor I wish we would've spent more time with Warriors 3, Heimdall, and Asgard. Especially if they wanted me to feel something when they died or were destroyed. We'll see what they do though

Mostly agree, MadVillainy :)
And very well explained post here.
You explained my issue about MCU's Thor better than I ever could, hehe.

Yes, my ideal of Thor world is more lean into fantasy element (like Lord of the Rings and God of War PS4 game instead of sci-fi vibe and feel as Guardians of the Galaxy).

Even it is unlikely (because of the points you put up there) I still hope Marvel Studios can direct Thor in more better and hopefully more fantasy adventure-vibe than sci-fi adventure aspect. Thor's world and myth is so rich, big, and immersive that I think its a shame that MCU seems to waste most of it and make it small.

Last edited:
I would have loved to see more of the Realms & The Warriors Three. But the Rom-Com nature of the first two Thor flicks put a lot of that stuff on the back burner. I would agree it has been a wasted opportunity, but there's no reason it can't be addressed going forward.

I'd love to see Tales of Asgard on Disney Plus, with young drunk and ****ty Thor traveling throughout the Nine Realms with the Warriors Three and his snake transforming brother. And King Thor battling Galactus alongside his three granddaughters on a desolate future earth. Unlike Downey & Evans, Hemsworth hasn't hung up his super suit. So I'm hopeful Marvel will take advantage of these opportunities going forward.

Tales of Asgard and also more exploring more of the other realms will be interesting show on Disney Plus. Hope Kevin Feige takes notice. Hehe.

@Detective Conan interesting post back regarding the manga culture and American comic book.

Yes, here in Japan, manga has became such huge cultural aspect. Almost everyone from children, teenager, adult, young adult has read mangas.
Even the biggest movie and the most talked movie this year here in Japan is based on manga (Kimetsu no Yaiba / Demons Slayers).

This week new hot released movie, STAND BY ME Doraemon 2 is also based on the nation's legendary phenomenon manga (Doraemon). And every Meitantei Conan movie released every year is very huge hit (the last 2 Conan movies even outgrossed Infinity War and Endgame by a lot here).

Thats proved how big manga (and anime) industry among our people here.

While I cannot speak much about American culture but I have a friend there (mostly during my study tour to Toronto almost 11 years ago) that I heard that many American people do not read comic book that much as Japanese people here reading mangas. According to her, in US, people who read comic book will be considered geek, nerd , or even childish. I also remember she also said that in US, most people even shame to even call "Comic Book", instead the name "Comic Book" is change into "Graphic Novel".
Is it true, though?

If thats true, then..I found it weird since the biggest movie and even the most successful movie of all time in the world now is based on comic book. Haha.

Anyway, I hope DC Comics can make a recovery though (I am starting to get to know their universe now..haha).

Oh, speaking of manga, there is 1 new hot manga title released here last month (by none other than Kubo Tite-sensei, who his previous work is BLEACH).
Kubo-sensei new title is called BURN THE WITCH.
I just read book #1 (it is 240 pages!!)
If you like Bleach, I believe you will also like BURN THE WITCH. (But considering it is just released less than a month here, I think it will take time to be release in US market, but when it does....please check it out!) It is highly reccomended for any manga lovers :)

Last edited:

For the last two decades I think way too much money is thrown on blockbusters, so I imagined the idea of me directing the Flash movie and limiting the budget, see the average budget of a CW Flash episode and use five times that, max.

For the last two decades I think way too much money is thrown on blockbusters, so I imagined the idea of me directing the Flash movie and limiting the budget, see the average budget of a CW Flash episode and use five times that, max.

A single episode of Game of Thrones cost 10 Mio per episode. So just let say CW The Flash episode cost at least 5 Mio. You want to give this 25 Mio budget?
Production design is very poor, special effects are expensive, Miller alone will get like... 5 Mio (?) for this movie.

Something between Deadpool (60Mio) and Winter Soldier (150Mio) should be okay.

A single episode of Game of Thrones cost 10 Mio per episode. So just let say CW The Flash episode cost at least 5 Mio. You want to give this 25 Mio budget?
Production design is very poor, special effects are expensive, Miller alone will get like... 5 Mio (?) for this movie.

Something between Deadpool (60Mio) and Winter Soldier (150Mio) should be okay.
I'm willing to adjust my mentality on set, just nothing going above $100 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"