• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cavill will be the Roger Moore of Supermen, imo. He'll have his fans, he got more time in the role than his Lazenby (Routh), so his name will forever be associated with the role, but his movies generally aren't well-regarded, and he's not the popular favorite.

The difference is, Cavill doesn’t really have a unanimously adored film under his belt like Moore does with The Spy Who Loved Me.

That's the name of my one-man play.

I mean, I'll watch the Snyder Cut in whatever buttcam quality Crave provides. But I feel like I might as well just watch a GIF of someone laughing at me for 4 hours.
I think...if I’m going to watch a film about my beloved childhood icons being horrible to each other it’ll be Godzilla vs Kong. I expect more morality from the main characters in that one.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that even with the extended runtime, Superman will still have less than 20 minutes of screentime. So, just about as much as Godzilla usually does :o

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that even with the extended runtime, Superman will still have less than 20 minutes of screentime. So, just about as much as Godzilla usually does :o
But he is going to be black Ninjablade! Well, in a black suit. Which is acceptable. But him actually being black? Crazy talk!

But the is going to be black Ninjablade! Well, in a black suit. Which is acceptable. But him actually being black? Crazy talk!
tenor.gif

Black Superman. Checkmate. Don't you dare disliking the idea. I hope it will finally do the character justice.

If DC is on a diversity hero movie drive then can we get a Mister Terrific movie?
Man, I can’t wait for people to demand detailed reasons why an Alien from another solar system looks African. When he should obviously look white European.
Vathlo Island is about to get way more relevant :funny:
Vathlo Island - Wikipedia

Superman prequel show Krypton had a half Black General Zod. We also have a black Lex Luthor on Superman & Lois. A black Pete Ross on Smallville, black Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl and a black Perry White in the Snyderverse. The Superman on screen mythos has been steadily getting blacker :funny:

It would be nice if we could get a good live action version of John Henry Irons (Steel). The character is due another shot after the terrible Shaq movie.

Cavill will be the Roger Moore of Supermen, imo. He'll have his fans, he got more time in the role than his Lazenby (Routh), so his name will forever be associated with the role, but his movies generally aren't well-regarded, and he's not the popular favorite.

I have to disagree with this for several reasons:

As someone else mentioned, Cavill has never had a Superman film as beloved as The Spy Who Loved Me. Not only that, Moore also has "For Your Eyes Only" and "Live and Let Die", which are both liked enough, even if they're not considered all time great Bond films. While his movies aren't generally well regarded, I think you can currently say that about half the actors who played Bond, and Moore still has a better track record as Bond than Cavill has as Superman.

Also, Moore had a bigger impact on the Bond franchise than Cavill did on Superman. Moore was the guy that proved that the franchise could successfully move on from Sean Connery. While it may be cool for fanboy circles to hate on him now, at the time, he was popular in the role, in a way Cavill never was as Superman. Cavill's version of Superman arguably hurt the brand.

In regards to him not being the popular favorite, I think the only one who consistently enjoys "popular favorite" status is Sean Connery. From what I can tell, everyone else seems to have phases where it's popular to dislike them. I also think Moore probably enjoys more love outside the fanboy bubble.

I think Cavill is closer to being the Dalton of the franchise. Darker, and not what some of the contemporary audience wanted from the character. Has a dedicated online following, but never made the same pop culture impact as some of the previous incarnations.

Last edited:
I'm just at the point that DC and WB has screwed up Superman on film so many times and shown so little understanding of the character, that I just naturally assume they are going to screw him up again until they prove to me otherwise.
:-(

Edit: Sad thing is come to think of it I'm there with DC in general other than Batman. Which sucks because DC characters were always my favorite other than X Men characters

And I just remembered JJ Abrams wrote Flyby. It was a decade plus ago, but still doesn't inspire confidence either...

And I just remembered JJ Abrams wrote Flyby. It was a decade plus ago, but still doesn't inspire confidence either...
I really liked the later draft (the one without Kryptonian Lex). Certainly more so than SR or MoS. His characterizations of Clark, Lois and Lex were great, imo.

So apparently, if you tell Snyder fans on twitter they should be grateful they got the Snyder cut, they say you've been brainwashed by the media....somehow? What these people don't seem to get that if Cavill is out, both WB and Snyder are to blame. The GA clearly wasn't a fan of that vision and no amount of harassing people on twitter will change that.

This may actually be my best week ever as a Supes fan, lol. Got my Morrison Omnibus, my favorite live-action Superman in a new show, announcement of the HD remaster of STAS, and now we’re finally, officially moving on from the Snyderverse. Supes will soar again. Hallelujah. :woo:

Technically this doesn't mean Cavill is done. They may still use his Superman in stuff like Shazam 2 or the existing DCEU films they're still doing. This multiverse thing opens up a lot of possibilities. All this tells us for sure is he ain't getting a solo likely.

Technically this doesn't mean Cavill is done. They may still use his Superman in stuff like Shazam 2 or the existing DCEU films they're still doing. This multiverse thing opens up a lot of possibilities. All this tells us for sure is he ain't getting a solo likely.
Yep, the multiverse motto is essentially - “anything can happen!”

I didn’t say he was done. I said we are officially moving on. As in, we are finally getting non-Snyderverse Superman movie content. That’s all I’ve wanted for years now. Forward motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"