Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say this casting does much for me personally. Lately Clarke was great on GoT, but outside that meh. I don't blame her entirely for the bad movies she was in, but I also can't say I felt she was a positive in those films either.
I've only ever seen her in Game of Thrones, where her performance only improved as the show went on, and Solo, which I thought she was fine in. For a while I was really believing the rumors that she was going to take over for Amber Heard as Mera in Aquaman 2 (which would have been nice not only to be rid of Heard but to see her reunite with Momoa) but I'm glad to see her in the MCU.

I'm going to take a wild guess and says she's either the villain or a random side character that'll never appear again.

I'm going to take a wild guess and says she's either the villain or a random side character that'll never appear again.
Kingsley Ben-Adir is supposedly set to play the villain and I'd hate to see Emilia as a one off character but I can't think of any real big character that could make sense here

Emilia got better in GoT as it went along, but I actually really enjoyed her in that rom-com Last Christmas movie she did a couple years ago, so I’m kinda hoping she’s a more light-hearted character here because I think she’s stronger in that kind of role.

I thought she was fine in Last Christmas. Again, I wasn't in love with the movie there either. I hope she does well. Olivia Coleman being in this interests me far more

Last edited:
Emilia got better in GoT as it went along, but I actually really enjoyed her in that rom-com Last Christmas movie she did a couple years ago, so I’m kinda hoping she’s a more light-hearted character here because I think she’s stronger in that kind of role.
:highfive:

She made me love that movie, and that was the last thing I expected to do. She's very likable. If nothing else, I am definitely watching this now.

By the way, I love watching all this Disney crossover that proves just how dumb Carano's open bigotry was for her career.

O893UzZ.gif

My perception of Emilia Clarke is pretty neutral. I haven't been overly impressed by anything she's done nor I have I thought has she been overtly bad (everyone was bad in Terminator Genisys). I'm sure she'll be fine in the show. There are very few Marvel castings that I don't think work out. More often than not, it's good actors in wasted roles.

Also, I just found out Bill Pope is the cinematographer of Shang-Chi. That's severely disappointing that even he doesn't seem to be able to escape the visual blandness so may of these films have.

Maybe she’s Abigail Brand... that’d be a plot twist.

Glad to hear Emilia Clarke join the family. She was good in parts of GoT (not all) and I haven’t seen her excel in much else but she does come across as very likeable and I hope this is the vehicle in which she can do well.

Emilia Clarke will be fine. She’s capable enough at dramatic content when the material is there and she’s very charming when working with lighter fare.

Plus, I don’t expect Secret Invasion will be especially intense. The Skrulls in the MCU skew more towards the fun side of things. Clarke’s not going to be the weak link or anything.

I never thought she was overtly bad on GOT like some people made her out to be, and I thought she was working overtime to sell her material in the last season, despite or maybe because of her less-than-subtle IRL displeasure with the direction they took her character in.

She's also adorable and delightful in lighterhearted rom com fare like Last Christmas and Me Before You, which seem to be much more similar to her IRL personality, so I'm not concerned about her in this.

I am not concerned about her in this or any of that. Just saying her being in this doesn't add much for me or move my hype needle

Would you guys recommend a binge of Game of Thrones? I have some vacation time and I’m looking for a new obsession. It’s either gonna be that or The Batman cartoon.

I probably only watched the first episode of GOT. Anytime i tell people that offline, they look like they want to slap me.

Last edited:
Would you guys recommend a binge of Game of Thrones? I have some vacation time and I’m looking for a new obsession. It’s either gonna be that or The Ba

I probably only watched the first episode of GOT. Anytime i tell people that offline, they look like they want to slap me.

I really liked it for most of its runtime. I think the last season feels rushed and not up to the same level, but overall I'm glad I watched the whole show.

Would you guys recommend a binge of Game of Thrones? I have some vacation time and I’m looking for a new obsession. It’s either gonna be that or The Batman cartoon.

Yeah, it's great and only ruined by the last season stuff. Still very much worth checking out everything before that.

The ending almost ruins the whole thing for me, but it was a hell of a journey. If you just go into it ready to make up your own ending (or do like I do and tell yourself the author of the books definitely would've done it differently if he ever got around to finishing it), I'd say yeah, it's worth it. Seasons 3-6 (and some of 7) have lots of epic, iconic stuff and pretty much took TV to the next level, so it's hard not to recommend it at least for that stuff.

As disappointing as the final season was its hard not to recommend GoT because a lot of it was easily some of the best television ever filmed. The entire middle section of the series is A+, fantastic, engaging, visceral, epic stuff and even a disappointing ending cant override that.

Do it. It’s wildly inconsistent, the last season isn’t even the worst season (that would be five), but it’s highs are incredibly high and you might have your own perspective on the ending that isn’t as negative as the mainstream opinion.

I never thought she was overtly bad on GOT like some people made her out to be, and I thought she was working overtime to sell her material in the last season, despite or maybe because of her less-than-subtle IRL displeasure with the direction they took her character in.

She's also adorable and delightful in lighterhearted rom com fare like Last Christmas and Me Before You, which seem to be much more similar to her IRL personality, so I'm not concerned about her in this.

Yeah, I really liked her in Me Before You and that type of bubbly character does seem closer to her real-life personality. Not sure who she’ll play in Secret Invasion but Marvel casts well so I’m sure she’ll fit the role fine.

As someone who thought it got bad earlier than most and dropped GOT at the end of season 4 while still tacitly watching bits and pieces of the last 4 seasons, I'd say it's definitely worth checking out. The highs of the show are still worth checking out, even if the lows are really low.

Yep. Highly unlikely but she'd actually make a really solid Sue Storm. I just hope it's not a one off character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"