• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ben Affleck Daredevil movie from Fox is one of the most early 2000s relics to exist. Like I enjoy putting it on if I want to be transported to the most 2003 point possible. That and Scooby Doo (unrelated) are the most early 2000s movies to me lmao.

Remember when Fox was trying to get a new Daredevil movie started right before rights reverted? Joe Carnahan was attached to it and was gearing up to make it a R rated 70s or 80s period piece. Coulda been cool considering what Fox's other R-rated Marvel efforts were like but we pretty much did get the best case scenario with a quality DD TV show. Wish Marvel would do a soft-reboot of that and get it on Hulu or something, I dunno.

I personally would select him for that role but they have full access to a whole plethora of heavy hitters now: Galactus, Doom, Magneto etc.

We’ll see.
I think Doom will span several phases and play a key part in the build up to Galactus.

I don't have a clue how mutants are going to figure into all of this. In a way, that makes it one of the more exciting things to look forward to. The X-Men are a huge property with so much established screen time, and it's going to take significant rejiggering to incorporate them into this world. I think pulling that off is going to be as daunting a feat as making the first Avengers work.

Maybe harder. With The Avengers at least Marvel was dealing with a blank slate. With X-Men they have the added difficulty of rehabilitating the brand after the last couple of Fox films tanked.

I personally would select him for that role but they have full access to a whole plethora of heavy hitters now: Galactus, Doom, Magneto etc.

We’ll see.
It feels like Kang will have a big part to play too.

The Ben Affleck Daredevil movie from Fox is one of the most early 2000s relics to exist. Like I enjoy putting it on if I want to be transported to the most 2003 point possible. That and Scooby Doo (unrelated) are the most early 2000s movies to me lmao.

That camera roll...

tumblr_p0dw1yQgK41tbealgo1_400.gifv
tumblr_p0dw1yQgK41tbealgo2_400.gifv

Don't keep watching, it'll make you dizzy.

Last edited:
About the bolded...

While T'Chaka was definitely against helping other black people around the world, that's not why he killed his own brother, not even in a basic sense. Like his son, N'Jobu had the right idea, but went about it the wrong way. In trying to help other black people, he committed treason by helping Klaw, a criminal who killed Wakandans.

And even then, T'Chaka only came to Oakland to apprehend N'jobu and bring him home. It's only when N'jobu was about to shoot Zuri that T'Chaka killed his own brother.
It's exactly why he killed his brother. If T'Chaka was in the right to kill his brother, why do you think T'Chaka hides what happened to his brother? Why do you think he abandons Erik? Where do you think the shame comes from? Why did his brother turn to Klaw? Because Wakanda and their isolationist politics meant they would not help those they saw as "lesser" black folk. Those who haven't made it. Left them to fend for themselves. The only reason N'jobu is in a position to die is T'Chaka.

T'Chaka's great shame isn't a situation where he "justly" killed his brother, it's that he forced his brother into a situation that led to it. That he is responsible for his brother's death. The film isn't subtle, and literally has him kill his own brother using the representation of his wealth and then abandon his own nephew, the outsider.

Using your take on the story, the guy who directed Fruitvale Station would be blaming N'jobu for this death. He's not imo. He's blaming the system and the black folk who have "made it" for abandoning their brothers to that system that turns them to extreme solutions. N'jobu and Erik both make "monstrous" decisions, but neither is being blamed for it. Not in the manner you are suggesting. Wakanda, as represented by it's former rulers, is for helping create them. They are responsible and they are wrong.

And I know I'm right. The movie's literal moral compass yells it at his father and his ancestors:

So yeah, you can say "well he had to kill him because he was about to kill Zuri". But it was T'Chaka who put the gun in his hand in the first place. I mean, this is the movie that has M'Baku and the Jabari save the day. The movie really isn't subtle.

it amazes me how people get paid to a write nothing article like that.

It's exactly why he killed his brother. If T'Chaka was in the right to kill his brother, why do you think T'Chaka hides what happened to his brother? Why do you think he abandons Erik? Where do you think the shame comes from? Why did his brother turn to Klaw? Because Wakanda and their isolationist politics meant they would not help those they saw as "lesser" black folk. Those who haven't made it. Left them to fend for themselves. The only reason N'jobu is in a position to die is T'Chaka.

T'Chaka's great shame isn't a situation where he "justly" killed his brother, it's that he forced his brother into a situation that led to it. That he is responsible for his brother's death. The film isn't subtle, and literally has him kill his own brother using the representation of his wealth and then abandon his own nephew, the outsider.

Using your take on the story, the guy who directed Fruitvale Station would be blaming N'jobu for this death. He's not imo. He's blaming the system and the black folk who have "made it" for abandoning their brothers to that system that turns them to extreme solutions. N'jobu and Erik both make "monstrous" decisions, but neither is being blamed for it. Not in the manner you are suggesting. Wakanda, as represented by it's former rulers, is for helping create them. They are responsible and they are wrong.

And I know I'm right. The movie's literal moral compass yells it at his father and his ancestors:

So yeah, you can say "well he had to kill him because he was about to kill Zuri". But it was T'Chaka who put the gun in his hand in the first place. I mean, this is the movie that has M'Baku and the Jabari save the day. The movie really isn't subtle.

My post was essentially "T'Chaka killed his brother when his brother tried to kill Zuri." That's it. If I knew your initial statement on this was essentially "T'Chaka created the conditions that led to him killing his brother", I would've left it alone.

I'm not saying that the film is trying to "blame" N'Jobu, or that T'Chaka was right or wrong to kill his brother.

And yes, the film isn't subtle, so why you're relaying some of the films very obvious plot beats, ones I didn't even dispute, I have no idea.

I think it was appropriate for Falcon because he was literally wearing the flag of the country. If it was just a Falcon series, then it wouldn't need it, but I think it would be a bit difficult to have a black man as Captain America without addressing that issue.

As for Superman, there is a lot of reason to be skeptical because WB has shown repeatedly that they don't understand the appeal of the Superman character no matter who they cast or what race he is. Until they get over this mindset that the character is old-fashioned and out of date and belongs in the 30s, it will never work. If the studio acts that way, audiences will pick up on it and act that way too. The same thing happened with Fox and Fantastic Four where they acted almost like they were ashamed of the characters.

Yeah, I was excited for Black Superman, until it hit me that WB is possibly going for yet another radical, deconstructionist take on the character.

I think it was appropriate for Falcon because he was literally wearing the flag of the country. If it was just a Falcon series, then it wouldn't need it, but I think it would be a bit difficult to have a black man as Captain America without addressing that issue.

As for Superman, there is a lot of reason to be skeptical because WB has shown repeatedly that they don't understand the appeal of the Superman character no matter who they cast or what race he is. Until they get over this mindset that the character is old-fashioned and out of date and belongs in the 30s, it will never work. If the studio acts that way, audiences will pick up on it and act that way too. The same thing happened with Fox and Fantastic Four where they acted almost like they were ashamed of the characters.
Why don’t they look at how Cap has been brought to screen to get some answers to this unnecessary confusion. Here is a character who is actually suited to that era and embraces all the old-fashioned stuff, yet when executed with a clear vision also works so well in modern day alongside modern heroes and people. There’s no reason to let this limit anything for Supes either.

It dawned on me today that Man of Steel might be a more interesting movie if you imagine Henry Cavill is playing Tom Welling, moping around for his entire life because he doesn’t want to be Superman, lol.

Honesty, that’s the thing that’d make it depressing.
Jonathan Kent: "Don't save people, let them die"
Clark: "Good, I don't like having powers. I'll let kids in a bus accident die and people wonder why I managed to leave unbreakable.
WHY DO I HAVE POWERS? I WANT TO DIE. :waa:"

I agree, it treads the line between amusing and depressing.

So I watched New Mutants yesterday. I actually liked it! It’s not perfect by any means and it gets a little too goofy once everyone starts using their powers (I’m still not sure what Anya Taylor-Joy’s powers are exactly) but overall I enjoyed it. It was especially good to see a queer love story front and center in a superhero movie. And I liked the horror-ish tone. Since it will never be followed up on, I hope Marvel has the good sense to pursue ATJ for another role down the line.

The way I interpret it, Magik can make things real by imagining them, but it takes a long time. She can't just dream up a machine gun or something on command, but she spent so long imagining Limbo and Lockheed and her sword and metal arm that they manifested so that she can summon them when she wants.

The way I interpret it, Magik can make things real by imagining them, but it takes a long time. She can't just dream up a machine gun or something on command, but she spent so long imagining Limbo and Lockheed and her sword and metal arm that they manifested so that she can summon them when she wants.

Ah okay. That kinda makes sense. They probably should have made that a bit clearer. Still really enjoyed her performance.

I like that theory. :up:

So I watched New Mutants yesterday. I actually liked it! It’s not perfect by any means and it gets a little too goofy once everyone starts using their powers (I’m still not sure what Anya Taylor-Joy’s powers are exactly) but overall I enjoyed it. It was especially good to see a queer love story front and center in a superhero movie. And I liked the horror-ish tone. Since it will never be followed up on, I hope Marvel has the good sense to pursue ATJ for another role down the line.

The reboot may be a while, but she'd make a lovely Emma Frost.

I just finished Ant-Man for maybe the third time and Ant-Man And The Wasp for about the millionth. Both are really fun movies.

I would love if Deadpool and Ant-Man have a team up somewhere down the line. Reynolds and Paul Rudd together would be a hoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"