• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. I don't have an issue with Thor and Hela looking like regular people while they fight. They're two gods on their homeworld. I think it stands to reason they would fight as if they're just normal people fighting only slightly flashier. In that same movie we have Thor and Hulk bashing each other across a gladiatorial stadium. Not that I think Marvel action is perfect, it varies from film to film (heck in some cases it varies in individual films themselves).

I actually can't stand the way they fight in Snyder's films. In MOS it's just like they're pinballs. There's no sense of weight or power levels. The warehouse fight in BvS is fine, but the titular battle blows, and the Doomsday battle is the same thing as Zod just harder to see. In JL I'm too distracted by people doing ridiculously dumb things in slow motion to even care about the action.
Yeah, Ragnarok was the wrong movie to pick for this comparison. :hehe:

I like the fighting in MoS. I think it does feel very "super human", even as a lot of it looks like unfinished effects shots. I think overall it worked really well in MoS, especially the Smallville fight. After that though? Disasters imo. It probably doesn't help Snyder that we have other directors using the same characters to compare him to, and I much perfect Patty's Diana and James' Arthur in combat. Their action overall is just a lot better imo.

What I think really kills me about Snyder's action in BvS and JL, are how mean spirited and meat heady he makes everyone. Just consider Diana's action during the "hostage situation" in the Snyder Cut. I am not a big Whedon fan, but at least he seemed to realize these characters aren't blood thirsty monsters, who are just looking for their next cool kill. I've seen people complain about the mall scene in 84, and while it is not my favorite scene, what feels more Wonder Woman, that scene, or any moment of Diana that Snyder directed?

I like the fighting in MoS. I think it does feel very "super human", even as a lot of it looks like unfinished effects shots. I think overall it worked really well in MoS, especially the Smallville fight. After that though? Disasters imo. It probably doesn't help Snyder that we have other directors using the same characters to compare him to, and I much perfect Patty's Diana and James' Arthur in combat. Their action overall is just a lot better imo.

What I think really kills me about Snyder's action in BvS and JL, are how mean spirited and meat heady he makes everyone. Just consider Diana's action during the "hostage situation" in the Snyder Cut. I am not a big Whedon fan, but at least he seemed to realize these characters aren't blood thirsty monsters, who are just looking for their next cool kill. I've seen people complain about the mall scene in 84, and while it is not my favorite scene, what feels more Wonder Woman, that scene, or any moment of Diana that Snyder directed?
Every time you talk about Snyder Diana, does this play?

indDPOx.gif

Oh my Zod, he admitted it:

Zack Snyder ‘Worried’ Warner Bros. Would Sue and ‘Silence Me’ for Supporting Snyder Cut Fans

“Here’s the reality,” Snyder said. “That fandom raised $750,000 for suicide prevention and mental health awareness. They’ve saved lives. That’s a fact. But on the other hand, was it fun to provoke them? For a clickable thing? Yes. And they were an easy target. But they continue to raise money. There are not a lot of fan communities whose primary objective, other than seeing work of a guy they like, realized their other main thing was to bring awareness to mental health and suicide prevention. For me, it’s kind of hard to be mad at them.”

I still can't believe that Snyder had Wonder Woman blow out the side of a building with her strongest move just to kill a regular human :doh:

How superhero like that you did more damage to that building than the bad guys.

Every time you talk about Snyder Diana, does this play?

I hate that I don't even need to click the video to be tortured by the music. Still haunts me.

And look what happened when we actually had a black president. The racists went crazy and revealed themselves with their absurdities.

I also challenge anyone to say they would not love to see a black Superman **** up the Klan.
And he got re-elected. Almost like race doesn't really matter to being elected president there.

Is there any question that some would like to see Superman actually help people, personally?

And he got re-elected. Almost like race doesn't really matter to being elected president there.

Is there any question that some would like to see Superman actually help people, personally?
Clearly, Obama had to deal with little to no racism including a party wide conspiracy built on pure racism brought to you by the next president, who rode a wave of overt racism and sexism, that still permeates from his party.

ETGJL5j.gif

You know who wouldn't enjoy a black Superman kicking the crap out of the Klan? Racists. America has a lot of them. Just because one black man was able to become president of the United States does not change the massive current issue Sithborg is talking about. You throwing a non-sequitur at him doesn't change it. I will be overjoyed for the man cast in the role. I will also have great fear for them, especially if they actually go there. Because as you eloquently showed us, there is a large part of this country that does not like to acknowledge it.

Last edited:
I do feel the fact that beating the **** out of Klansmen isn't as universal as beating the **** out of nazis is a moral failing on our part.

I do find it...unsettling the amount of people who want Diana to wield the sword more than the lasso as her main weapon.

Refusing to acknowledge the toxic portion of your fanbase is approval of them.

Honestly. I don't mind a PG Blade. Deadpool is really the only character I care about being R

They are absolutely going to MCU-ize THE line. I don't think I can handle that.

Regarding Blade it will depend a lot on how monstrous they make the vampires. You can show a lot more violence against monsters keep a lower rating.

Clearly, Obama had to deal with little to no racism including a party wide conspiracy built on pure racism brought to you by the next president, who rode a wave of overt racism and sexism, that still permeates from his party.
I didn't say he didn't. I suggested it didn't get him not elected.

You know who wouldn't enjoy a black Superman kicking the crap out of the Klan? Racists. America has a lot of them. Just because one black man was able to become president of the United States does not change the massive current issue Sithborg is talking about. You throwing a non-sequitur at him doesn't change it. I will be overjoyed for the man cast in the role. I will also have great fear for them, especially if they actually go there. Because as you eloquently showed us, there is a large part of this country that does not like to acknowledge it.
What I said was not a dis-acknowledgment. And I didn't say him becoming president changed that. I was making a point that racists existing didn't change him being elected twice.

I do feel the fact that beating the **** out of Klansmen isn't as universal as beating the **** out of nazis is a moral failing on our part.
Though I think not beating people up, in general, isn't a moral failing. I think the Holy Bible doesn't support beating people up like that. That's the ultimate moral decider there.

Also, I think nazis are kinda outright easier to view as villains.

Unpopular opinion, I'm tired of most race-bent black characters dealing with race. We are more than the colour of our skin. The Superman movie being a period piece is definitely going to be mostly about his race, I've had enough of those.

Yeah, I saw RDJ and Evans' posts about that. Very sad. RIP Jimmy and heart out to RDJ and his family :csad:

Unpopular opinion, I'm tired of most race-bent black characters dealing with race. We are more than the colour of our skin. The Superman movie being a period piece is definitely going to be mostly about his race, I've had enough of those.

It’s about time that Hollywood gives us movies about superheroes, sorcerers, vampire hunters etc that happen to be black instead of a movie about a Black Superhero or Black whoever that focuses on their race. It is tired.

I hope Black Superman surprises us but I don’t trust The WB.

This is true, for everyone. But I do not begrudge an acknowledgement of race, considering the world we live in. For so long it was ignored, to the determent of people of color in society. I also think that goes along with getting more people of color behind the camera and that is a very good thing. They hired Coates here and I don't think it's so he'd shy away from his experiences or his more academic writings. So while we are all more then our skin color, our race leads to us experiencing the world definitely. It's the reality of the situation and I do like when it is touched on well.

Though overall, how many "race-bent" characters or characters of color in general deal with race in flicks and television? It's a pretty new phenomenon in more PG-13 based fare from what I can remember.

Though overall, how many "race-bent" characters or characters of color in general deal with race in flicks and television? It's a pretty new phenomenon in more PG-13 based fare from what I can remember.

Huh? Did you saw the Oscar movies recently? Its felt like every black leading movie has to be a period drama with telling us on the nose: "Racism is bad." And those racists would never saw a movie like this to rethink there behaviour (thats why Black Panther was a success in my opinion, finally a movie with confident and carefree rolemodels - Give me more of that!).

Dont get me wrong, its a serious and important topic but very often poorly written and only about black people. I doubt there will be a movie about Asian hate while Corona in US in the next years per example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"