Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

They definitely won't be filming or doing table readings in-person. Maybe they could have discussions via FaceTime, TikTok, IG, etc. while 'socially distancing'?

Trying to have productive discussions within the allotted 15 seconds on TikTok would be like Jon Favreau trying to leave an answerphone message for Heather Graham in the movie "Swingers" and always getting cut off before he's finished.

There’s no revenue coming in for the foreseeable future, which means no salaries will be going out while they’re shutdown, so these writers would be doing extra work for free...and that ain’t happening. It’s determined in individual contracts how writers get paid, and maybe some of them have a contract that would entitle them to steady compensation regardless of content produced (which means if they wrote all their scripts during this break, they’d still get paid later in the season when they no longer had anything left to write), but I doubt it. Writing time costs money just like everything else - it’s built into the budget. TV writers typically get paid per episode, and that amount doesn’t change if they spend more time than the allotted amount writing the episodes. So again, y’all are essentially asking them to do more work for free, with no certain future as to when production can even resume and if more episodes will even be ordered. They could spend that time writing a book or something that would bring in more income when they need it. The studio isn’t gonna pay for a bunch of extra writing time just because they can’t physically do anything else, because all those other things they can’t do right now still need to happen and get paid for whenever production resumes and that would massively inflate their budget.

There’s no revenue coming in for the foreseeable future, which means no salaries will be going out while they’re shutdown, so these writers would be doing extra work for free...and that ain’t happening. It’s determined in individual contracts how writers get paid, and maybe some of them have a contract that would entitle them to steady compensation regardless of content produced (which means if they wrote all their scripts during this break, they’d still get paid later in the season when they no longer had anything left to write), but I doubt it. Writing time costs money just like everything else - it’s built into the budget. TV writers typically get paid per episode, and that amount doesn’t change if they spend more time than the allotted amount writing the episodes. So again, y’all are essentially asking them to do more work for free...

Under normal circumstances…

My understanding is that TV writers are essentially “salaried” employees. Under the leadership of the showrunner (who’s often the head writer), they work, contribute and brainstorm in the prestigious “writers’ room.” Then, on a rotating basis (?), one or two are assigned the task of composing the final teleplay for a given episode. As per the WGA, these writers (of course) would get extra compensation. But typically, this remuneration is nominal. The real prize is the “written by” credit and just being gainfully employed as a writer on a network TV series. And irrespective of a teleplay credit, the writers’ room staff are usually give various other titles: executive producer, co-executive producer, supervising producer, story editor, staff writer, etc.

Now with this coronavirus shutdown occurring so late into the season, I’m guessing there was minimal effect on the writing process for current productions. I.e., all the episodes were written and perhaps most writers were already gone for the normal hiatus.

Superman & Lois, however, represents a special case: pilot written, a straight-to-series commitment - but no production actually begun. And it’s not clear whether pre-production had geared up to the point of hiring a writers' room staff. But it might be assumed that EP and showrunner Helbing has job security and is still scoring a paycheck - at least for the time being. And if that’s the case, he should earn his money and continue writing. :word:

Last edited:
Follow-up to the above…

Pilot Season 2020: Networks Order Backup Scripts, Move Toward Streaming Model Amid Coronavirus Crisis – Deadline

Basically: In the case of pilot orders, many networks are authorizing a 2nd episode/backup script — even though, ultimately, not all these series will be greenlighted. In the case of straight-to-series orders, writing is (apparently) underway.

...Additionally, a number of projects — including […]the CW’s Superman & Lois… — have straight-to-series orders and have writers rooms going.

Well that makes things interesting!! :up:

Both General Sam Lane and Morgan Edge will be recast.

Aw man, I used to love Nip/Tuck in its early days, so this casting makes me happy. Plus, even though he's a bit too young, he's still more believable as Bitsie Tulloch's dad than the last guy, lol.

Are we going to get a new Lucy Lane too?

Also are they going to address the fact that General Lane looks different because of Crisis or just gloss over it as part of a recast?

Typically, a cast change isn’t acknowledged (on screen). And since neither Hoechlin nor Tulloch shared scenes with the old/Supergirl version of General Lane, there’s little reason to try to work in a Crisis “explanation” for his different appearance.

Last edited:
I think that’s a great choice, the guy in S1 of Supergirl was just like any standard general to me which is a role he plays a lot. This feels like a much better choice.

I typically despise recasts, so I'm already primed to dislike the casting for this. However, the fact that the age difference between the actors playing Sam and Lois isn't too accurate for a father and daughter makes it even less appealing.

I'm more concerned about the casting of "diverse" actors for Lana and her family. It is incredibly tone deaf and likely to anger POC, as this (profanity included) post reveals.

Yeah… Walsh is a tad young to be Tulloch’s dad. But I think Lois is younger than Tulloch. :cwink:

As for the “diverse casting” stuff, I’ll wait for something official to be announced before commenting.

I always felt Lana Lang should be Asian, an Asian family, out there in Kansas, maybe a fish out of water scenario for Lana's parents as they migrate - they raise Lana in a town that kinda treat them, not so much different, but the racial undertones are there, by some. It kinda what draws Clark to Lana in the first place, he sees her being treated indifferently at school and thinks it's crazy, as he is more 'foreign' than her, but yet he 'looks' the part so is accepted. Then, as they grow up, they both represent that iconic 'americana' where they hang out at rodeo's, in boots, denim, cow boy hats, have the accent, love the apple pie and church.. yet one doesn't get any trouble what so ever, just because the face fits.

Anyways, that was just my take, I obviously don't want politics or lessons be thrown upon us, just more of a back story.

I never get to when folk complain about real life age gaps. They're actors playing parts of various ages.

I never get to when folk complain about real life age gaps. They're actors playing parts of various ages.

It matters when people don't look believable as a certain age. Whatever. This show could have been good but it's a total mess.

I always felt Lana Lang should be Asian, an Asian family, out there in Kansas, maybe a fish out of water scenario for Lana's parents as they migrate - they raise Lana in a town that kinda treat them, not so much different, but the racial undertones are there, by some. It kinda what draws Clark to Lana in the first place, he sees her being treated indifferently at school and thinks it's crazy, as he is more 'foreign' than her, but yet he 'looks' the part so is accepted. Then, as they grow up, they both represent that iconic 'americana' where they hang out at rodeo's, in boots, denim, cow boy hats, have the accent, love the apple pie and church.. yet one doesn't get any trouble what so ever, just because the face fits.

Anyways, that was just my take, I obviously don't want politics or lessons be thrown upon us, just more of a back story.

The way Kyle is written (as a MAGA supporter analogue) and with two investigative reporters, politics is a given with this show. SG has been political and not always artfully.

I have no problem with "diverse" characters, but Lana and her family, including her husband Kyle, are not good choices for that. The post I linked to, from a WOC who considers herself a huge Hoechlin fan and anti-DCEU, is represtative of some of the problems with that approach to casting.

I don’t see how it’s a mess myself but to each their own. I really can’t wait for this show, not been a thing so far that I’ve disliked.

I don’t see how it’s a mess myself but to each their own. I really can’t wait for this show, not been a thing so far that I’ve disliked.
yeah I have no issue with their choices, either, for this show moving forward - the Kyle character is what it is, there are people like him out there. People will find an issue in anything in life. I just have had no interest in watching this specific interpretation of superman, since the begining, he feels to bland and generic - something fun, for me would have been have Routh switch it up and be Clark and moving forward, due to crisis, it felt like it always was him. He is just more enjoyable, for me to watch on tv.

The way Kyle is written (as a MAGA supporter analogue) and with two investigative reporters, politics is a given with this show. SG has been political and not always artfully.

I have no problem with "diverse" characters, but Lana and her family, including her husband Kyle, are not good choices for that. The post I linked to, from a WOC who considers herself a huge Hoechlin fan and anti-DCEU, is represtative of some of the problems with that approach to casting.

But why aren't they good choices? Because a blogger said so? Show hasn't even been filmed yet. Any character can be torn apart to suit an agenda our emotional response. It's all opinions.

yeah I have no issue with their choices, either, for this show moving forward - the Kyle character is what it is, there are people like him out there. People will find an issue in anything in life. I just have had no interest in watching this specific interpretation of superman, since the begining, he feels to bland and generic - something fun, for me would have been have Routh switch it up and be Clark and moving forward, due to crisis, it felt like it always was him. He is just more enjoyable, for me to watch on tv.

That’s fair

But why aren't they good choices? Because a blogger said so? Show hasn't even been filmed yet. Any character can be torn apart to suit an agenda our emotional response. It's all opinions.

I mean if misslane isn’t really into it then that’s cool. We’re all different in what we like and dislike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"