Superman Returns Superman Marathon. . . . .

Alpha and Omega

Superhero
Reaction score
I know this topic has come up a lot, but since we're very close to the opening of X3 and SR is one month away, I wanted somewhat of an encore to see how everyone was feeling about the BO potential for both of these films.

I've read two reviews from AICN on the X3 movie, and while I never allow another opinion to sway me from my decision to view or skip a film, I'm a little concerned: They both were fairly negative.

I've also read an SR review from an outside source who has no affiliation w/ DC comics. He was blown away by SR and he claimed that it was everything Supes fans could hope for. We haven't seen a lot of the film, so who can know, but I've always had the feeling that Singer held promise and Ratner just held average ideas which never translated into 'good films.'

W/ that in mind, I'm starting to think that SR will follow in the footsteps of Begins. I don't see it making more than 70 or 80 million in its first weekend at the most. However, I think it will have unusually strong staying power (hence the thread title of Marathon), because it seems like a film that families, teens, young adults, and yes, even the elderly will go see at least once.

How much money do you forsee SR making domestically, and overseas? Also, the same for X3. Even though it's not the same forum, I'd love to see a comparison, because of the correlations between the two.

My prediction (domestic):
X3: Wknd 1) 97 mil; Wknd 2) 42 mil; Wknd 3) 26 mil; Wknd 4) 11 mil;

SR: Wknd 1) - 65 mil; Wknd 2) 44 mil; Wknd 3) 29.5 Wknd 4) 17 mil;

X3 worldwide gross: 387 million
SR worldwide gross: 502 million

These are just uncalcuated, uneducated guesses, but from the small amount that I've seen: X3 looks like it's dominated by action in favor of character development; a lot isn't necessary since this is the 3rd, but I'm thinking that this film will have a big weekend and then fizzle.

When I hear about SR (2 1/2 hr film), it's labeled by its own director as a love story developed around the mythos of the 'Ultimate Immigrant.' (Yes we all know that labeling Superman as the Ultimate immigrant is a sad ploy to pull in a certain demographic of audience, but studios have no shame.)

I have a feeling that SR will win out because of a large young female fanbase - aka - the Titanic. If this film really is the touted love story, young women will flock to see this is repeat form, and that's why I see Supes doing extremely well over the long haul.

I know I typed a monster of a post, but what are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen - if you even bothered to read it. :o (yes, it was long.)

Alpha and Omega said:
I've read two reviews from AICN on the X3 movie, and while I never allow another opinion to sway me from my decision to view or skip a film, I'm a little concerned: They both were fairly negative.

That is because Harry at AICN is on record saying they will post NOTHING BUT NEGATIVE REVIEWS OF X3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"