SyFy Original Series 'Dark Matter' - Premiering June 12th

Syfy probably killed it to increase Killjoy's budget. They killed Stargate Atlantis when they started Stargate Universe so it wouldn't be the first time they killed a good show to reroute resources.

I've long thought that Alphas (great and underrated) was killed for Defiance. Which I ended up loving but still. Alphas getting cancelled broke my heart especially because they waited damn near a year before announcing it.

Syfy probably killed it to increase Killjoy's budget. They killed Stargate Atlantis when they started Stargate Universe so it wouldn't be the first time they killed a good show to reroute resources.
But even if they do that before, is there specific evidence linking the cancellation to Killjoys? (e.g., or perhaps they wanted to increase the budget of some of their other shows?)

I like Killjoys, but I liked Dark Matter better.

But even if they do that before, is there specific evidence linking the cancellation to Killjoys? (e.g., or perhaps they wanted to increase the budget of some of their other shows?)

The Expanse is the only other show I can think of that's fairly expensive.

Last edited:

Same here, I like KJ a lot,but Dark Matter was always the better of the 2 for me.

I suspect the Canadian side is what doomed it. These half Syfy/half Canadian shows have some other factors than the purely Syfy produced shows.

I could have watched more of it but I will not mourn over the cancellation. It was an ok show but nothing special.
If The Expanse is canceled, then you will feel a great disturbance in The Force as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I did love me some Melissa O'Neil.

UP6ayqFg.jpg

xO1EG593.jpg

Show still has hope.

A fan started a change.org online petition. 3 days in and nearly 19,000 sigs. I say hope, cause the Dark Matter Facebook and Twitter pages noticed this and shared the petition on their pages! Then the actor who plays Ryo? Shared it on twitter as well with a goal of 100k. Been almost 24 hours and gone from 5k to 19k now!

Petition is to syfy but fans like me are trying to get netflix on board.

I suggest binge watching season 3 on netflix on 25th of this month to convince Netflix.

Yeah I saw and signed the petition on Facebook, really hope it helps but I remember signing a few for Firefly and Serenity and it never made any difference :csad:.

It probably depends on the sets. If the sets have already been demolished then that petition probably won't get syfy to change their mind.

Man, so disappointed to see this great show canceled.

Dang. Another great one bites the dust.

Good sci-fi is hard to come by, I tells ya.

It probably depends on the sets. If the sets have already been demolished then that petition probably won't get syfy to change their mind.

Syfy won't even do a 6-episode 4th season!

Other opitions are being considered. A twitter storm will hit Friday night. To get the show trending. The creator and others and fans are trying.

Honestly this being cancelled has killed my enthusiasm for Killjoys also. It was the UK KJ finale tonight and I didn't even want to watch it.

Honestly this being cancelled has killed my enthusiasm for Killjoys also. It was the UK KJ finale tonight and I didn't even want to watch it.

It was an underwhelming finale. Frankly this whole season of killjoys was underwhelming.

I suspect the Canadian side is what doomed it. These half Syfy/half Canadian shows have some other factors than the purely Syfy produced shows.
nope it has not do with in be done incanad which make it cheaper btw. ,but it was about it not being an orginal serise by syfy

As to why Dark Matter was canceled, most would probably just assume “another good science fiction show that just can’t pull in the ratings” but according to producer Joseph Mallozzi, there is a little more to it than that;
“Dark Matter was consistently ranked at the top of cable percentage gainers in overall viewers and the key demos. And, perhaps most heartening at the time was the fact that we were nevertheless one of SYFY’s most-watched shows in 2017.

Working against us was the fact that we weren’t a SYFY original. We were an acquisition. For those not in the know, an original is a series that is developed by the network and, more importantly, owned by the network, allowing them to monetize the show through things like international sales, streaming, etc.

The network pays a lot more but presumably reaps the benefits down the line. Ideally. An acquisition, on the other hand, is a show that will cost a network considerably less, but doesn’t offer those alternate revenue streams because there is no ownership stake. Due to the costs of originals, networks may go the acquisition route to round out a programming schedule. Also, at the end of the day, audiences generally don’t base their viewing habits on whether or not a show is an original series or an acquisition.

They watch what they like. And the more who watch, the higher the ratings. And the higher the ratings, the more broadcasters can charge advertisers. So, at the end of the day, there are pros and cons, risks and rewards to both approaches.”
So ratings weren’t necessarily the determining factor here, but they also weren’t so high they couldn’t be ignored.

That said, the fact the show was based on a graphic novel, and not an original Syfy creation, limited what they could do with it, and for such reasons, they became more expendable.

But now the fans, and the cast for that matter are trying to save the show and learn the rest of the story aboard the Raza.
source: Geekexchange

It was an underwhelming finale. Frankly this whole season of killjoys was underwhelming.

Good to know about the finale. I won't be in rush to watch it now. I have actually really enjoyed this season of KJ, but the cancelling of DM has just killed any enthusiasm I had for it.

Also thinking of dropping Blood Drive after one episode for the same reason.

Blood Drive actually got pretty good. I haven't caught up on the last two episodes yet but the series does make a few interesting choices in story.

I enjoyed the first episode, and Christina Ochoa is ridiculous. But DM being cancelled has jut killed my enthusiasm for Syfy shows in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"