"Taylor's Death: A grim reminder for us all

JStorm

Arkham
Reaction score
Updated 30 minutes ago.

Thought it was worth sharing.

Link

Columnist said:
There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.

Well, when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

When the traditional, white KKK lynched, terrorized and intimidated black folks at a slower rate than its modern-day dark-skinned replacement, at least we had the good sense to be outraged and in no mood to contemplate rationalizations or be fooled by distractions. Our new millennium strategy is to pray the Black KKK goes away or ignores us. How's that working?

About as well as the attempt to shift attention away from this uniquely African-American crisis by focusing on an alleged injustice the white media allegedly perpetrated against Sean Taylor.

Within hours of his death, there was a story circulating that members of the black press were complaining that news outlets were disrespecting Taylor's victimhood by reporting on his troubled past

No disrespect to Taylor, but he controlled the way he would be remembered by the way he lived. His immature, undisciplined behavior with his employer, his run-ins with law enforcement, which included allegedly threatening a man with a loaded gun, and the fact a vehicle he owned was once sprayed with bullets are all pertinent details when you've been murdered.

Marcellus Wiley, a former NFL player, made the radio circuit Wednesday, singing the tune that athletes are targets. That was his explanation for the murders of Taylor and Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams and the armed robberies of NBA players Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry.

Really?

Let's cut through the bull(manure) and deal with reality. Black men are targets of black men. Period. Go check the coroner's office and talk with a police detective. These bullets aren't checking W-2s.

Rather than whine about white folks' insensitivity or reserve a special place of sorrow for rich athletes, we'd be better served mustering the kind of outrage and courage it took in the 1950s and 1960s to stop the white KKK from hanging black men from trees.

But we don't want to deal with ourselves. We take great joy in prescribing medicine to cure the hate in other people's hearts. Meanwhile, our self-hatred, on full display for the world to see, remains untreated, undiagnosed and unrepentant.

Our self-hatred has been set to music and reinforced by a pervasive culture that promotes a crab-in-barrel mentality.

You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration. Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "cocking on your *****," nothing will change.

Does a Soulja Boy want an education?

HBO did a fascinating documentary on Little Rock Central High School, the Arkansas school that required the National Guard so that nine black kids could attend in the 1950s. Fifty years later, the school is one of the nation's best in terms of funding and educational opportunities. It's 60 percent black and located in a poor black community.

Watch the documentary and ask yourself why nine poor kids in the '50s risked their lives to get a good education and a thousand poor black kids today ignore the opportunity that is served to them on a platter.

Blame drugs, blame Ronald Reagan, blame George Bush, blame it on the rain or whatever. There's only one group of people who can change the rotten, anti-education, pro-violence culture our kids have adopted. We have to do it. According to reports, Sean Taylor had difficulty breaking free from the unsavory characters he associated with during his youth.

The "keepin' it real" mantra of hip hop is in direct defiance to evolution. There's always someone ready to tell you you're selling out if you move away from the immature and dangerous activities you used to do, you're selling out if you speak proper English, embrace education, dress like a grown man, do anything mainstream.

The Black KKK is enforcing the same crippling standards as its parent organization. It wants to keep black men in their place — uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.

In all likelihood, the Black Klan and its mentality buried Sean Taylor, and any black man or boy reading this could be next.

Yeah, I just read that. Every now, & again a person (like Cosby) will come out, & say the blacks are hurting the black, but nobody listens.

Gang violence and such :o

Basically...hooligans of the African descent :o

Nice post, JStorm :up:

Wow. Jason Whitlock gets a gold star for enlightenment. :up:

jag

Ok; wrong. It has NOTHING to do with race. It has EVERYTHING to do with CULTURE.

not so fast; wtf does he expect us to do? Make rap and hip gop illegal?

Please; if that was the case; everybody who listened to rap would be murders alka EVERYONE in all the us would either be murdered or be a murder; cause hip hop is huge.

Hop hop didnt make sean taylors killer go shoot him; it was either something Taylor did or he didnt know who Taylor was. BUT I can tell what didnt stop him shooting him and should have; the simple fact that killing is wrong and against the law.

All these big words and intelligent sentences arent doing ****.

Please. If yall wanna know the deal I can tell you exeactly how it is;I know from personal expirience and anybody who would know would agree with me.

Not so much Taylors murder; but atleast 75% of these black on black murders are over money. People who aint been taught right from wrong. Some want revenge. Some want money. Then the other 25% are just random acts of violence.

As I said at the top; this has to culture; not race. You cannot change race; and being black wont be made illegal. YOU CAN change culture.

You cant make rap illegal. You cant make talking, arguing, or hanging out illegal.

You cannot make the cause illegal. But you can, however, make the effect much easier to happen.

You can make hand guns illegal.

I dunno numbers; but I think itd be obvious the vast majority of murders via guns are from hand guns as they much easy to transport and hide.

Yes; hunters go hunt; people who really wanted a gun for protection could still get one. Cops WOULD have them. But how many criminals-potentials murderers and murders-would be stopped if they couldnt slip a piece into their pants and head out; rather had to cram a ridle down there?

The ONLY way to limit anything is to limit the possibility it occurs. The only way to limit gun deaths is to limit the time they are used; and abolishing handguns would be an extremely effective start.

I have yet to hear a single reason why a HAND GUN are nessecary. You could argue the deaths will still happen via rifle or knife; but please; if you cant deney a large numbers of potential murders would remain that instead of actual homicides; you too ignortant to even think of logically debating this.

Excel, he's saying that there is a culture that has arisen from a primarily black focal point that is resulting in this black on black crime. You're basically agreeing with him, for all intents and purposes.

jag

You can also make cars illegal. Or hammers. Or sharp things. Or blunt objects.

Guns were made to kill. Every other tool has an alternate purpose. Unless you're Homer Simpson and use your gun to turn out lights in the house.

His article has no answers; and its been like this for years; back in 70's. It has nothing to do with music; its the lifetsyle BLACK people have because they started off 2nd rate and its hard as **** to get up.

So they stay 2nd rate; have little money which means little education and it takes a lotta time to make the money they get; and you wanna know where allthese people turn to money is drugs and gangs; and its that **** that gets people killed.

Nothing bout "wantin to keep it really homie you know man"; **** nothing about "wantin be a soulja boiii son". They do it for reasons; and it aint because society tells em its ok; but because there's nothing telling them its not and there is a huge difference between the 2.

People do; but not many of them-kill people to look cool. Most of these are legit beefs that we; more civilized people; would handle by ignoring or arguing; or suing. These people dont know that because they are THAT FAR below us in terms of history; morals; education; ect. They settle it with a gun. Same result; eliminating the problem.

Fact is; 50+ years of built up ways of life arent gonna change over night; after all it is illegal to kill somebody but they still do it. But you can limit the ways that happens; which therefore would limit the deaths.

You can also make cars illegal. Or hammers. Or sharp things. Or blunt objects.

yeah; except all of those things do jobs to HELP us. I didnt see Sean Taylor getting run over by a car in bedroom; I didnt hear about him getting beaten to death with a hammer in his room; I herad about him getting SHOT. You cant name one thing non police/military people do with handguns that benefits humans; so that argument doesnt make any sense :up: :up:

ok outlaw all the guns and then the only people that have them will be the criminals.

ok outlaw all the guns and then the only people that have them will be the criminals.

ok I didnt say that because thatd never work. Handguns from the public only; cops have em but thats it.

SOME criminals would obviously have them; but if they are illegal to possess guess what

1. People will think twice bout bring it out in public
2. Obviously much harder to get

They would be like weed. Though its illegal; youd have to live witht he realization they exist; but you cant deney it would save a large number of lives.

it might slow down the number of kids blowing their brains out with daddy's gun and also would be hard to get a handle on but most people would complain about only police officers handling firearms .

Ok; I'd take complaints over daily shootings anyday.

Seriously; let them complain; theyll complain until they see the death has dropped drastically ;)

yeah; except all of those things do jobs to HELP us. I didnt see Sean Taylor getting run over by a car in bedroom; I didnt hear about him getting beaten to death with a hammer in his room; I herad about him getting SHOT. You cant name one thing non police/military people do with handguns that benefits humans; so that argument doesnt make any sense :up: :up:

Yeah each of those things kills innocent people in the wrong hands. Just like guns.

ok I didnt say that because thatd never work. Handguns from the public only; cops have em but thats it.

SOME criminals would obviously have them; but if they are illegal to possess guess what

1. People will think twice bout bring it out in public
2. Obviously much harder to get

They would be like weed. Though its illegal; youd have to live witht he realization they exist; but you cant deney it would save a large number of lives.

Um, you do realize with those guns that criminals use... they are most likely not using a gun that was obtained through legal means.

Um, you do realize with those guns that criminals use... they are most likely not using a gun that was obtained through legal means.

yeah no one seems to realize this .

Thats not the points; how they get there is. AT SOME POINT they are purchased LEGALLY. Wether they are then stolen/resold on the street isnt relevant; how they directly get into the shooters hand isnt relevant; ist preventing them to be in that situation in the first place.

At some point; the gun in is legally sold; what happens to it after that is anyones guess.

If the gun aint ever sold; it cant complete the cycle.

Good article and good points made by Gilpesh. Excel's "ignore the true problem" mentality is pretty much what the author is saying. I read that article and found Jason Whitlock nailed it. Great read and hopefully it will inspire some change, or at least bring some brutal awareness.

Thats not the points; how they get there is. AT SOME POINT they are purchased LEGALLY. Wether they are then stolen/resold on the street isnt relevant; how they directly get into the shooters hand isnt relevant; ist preventing them to be in that situation in the first place.

At some point; the gun in is legally sold; what happens to it after that is anyones guess.

Um... yes it is. There is no way that every gun on the street is sold legally. Maybe they even disappear from a police station where your utopia would keep them.

also there is an alarming amount of police corruptivity going on.

Um... yes it is. There is no way that every gun on the street is sold legally. Maybe they even disappear from a police station where your utopia would keep them.

I didnt say every; this isnt about every. You cant compltely end something large; you can only limit it. The majority of guns used in killings are, at some point during the guns existence on Earth; bought in a gun shop. Wether they are stolen and resold to ghetto kids dont matter because if they are never sold in the first place then they cant ever be stolen and sold to the ghetto kids to smoke other g's; get it??

I didnt say every; this isnt about every. You cant compltely end something large; you can only limit it. The majority of guns used in killings are, at some point during the guns existence on Earth; bought in a gun shop. Wether they are stolen and resold to ghetto kids dont matter because if they are never sold in the first place then they cant ever be stolen and sold to the ghetto kids to smoke other g's; get it??

also there is an alarming amount of police corruptivity going on.

And that?

Also when you're talking about making guns illegal... you're talking every. You made it about every.

That column is ridiculous. People living in poverty can't just get up and get out of it. They are kept in check by a system designed deliberately to do so--that's why so few successfully escape being poor. It's not because they're lazy, or because they don't want to work, or because they're immoral--it's because the system doesn't work for them.

So yeah, people in desperation commit desperate acts. That's why terrorism happens. That's why poor people commit a lot of low-level crimes. That's why these things happen. That's why there's a lot of criminality in black neighborhoods.

And yes, it should be blamed on Reagan, it should be blamed on Bush, it should be blamed on the Republicans for perpetuating myths like "welfare queens" and scary black men, it should be blamed on the Democrats for selling out on the promises they've been making for decades, it should be blamed on corporations for pillaging the people of this nation, it should be blamed on rich people for going along with all of this, it should be blamed on middle-class people for ignoring it and being intimidated into subconscious racism, it should be blamed on the system, it should be blamed on the people who PERPETRATE IT.

Blaming black people for the situation they're trapped in, is like blaming a rape victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"