The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Trailer #3 debuting in The AVENGERS (May 4) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
TDKRAvengersWB.jpg

12 days and counting...

I'll say I'm not a fan of the color palette of this film. Usually I couldn't care less about these things, but the abundance of browns, whites and grays is evident, and it makes the whole thing feel grim and depressing. I know it's supposed to be winter, and I know it's a dark Batman film, but still. TDK was all about the blues and it had a more posh and exciting feel, even at trailer stage.

But everything else :woot:. It felt a bit plain at first, but it gets exponentially more awesome with each new viewing. I'm guessing even the trailer score is Zimmer's? At first all you hear is an endless stream of "bam! bam! bam!"s, and you don't even realize why you like it, but you just do.

"Faith is broken. Hope is lost." Eff yeah it is. Until Batman comes along.

Lots of win. So that's what I think.

Some shots have the blue hue from TDK, just not all of them.

Just looking at the flesh tones you can tell the film is desaturated to a considerable degree: a first for a Nolan film (I think). Usually his films have naturalistic color tones, which means not too vibrant and not too bleak. The whites and grays are further accentuated by the fact that the lighting is very high contrast, very harsh; again a first for a Nolan film.

Those are the things I like. What I am, however, NOT a fan of is the emergence of teal blue in the palette. Thus far Nolan kept himself refreshingly free of that overused color. Don't really know why he is using it now.

Anyways, Nolan has now done desaturated, high contrast and gloomy; I want to see him do colorful and vibrant next.

Correction: I want to see Wally work his magic (preferably in a Nolan film) and do a film with a very vibrant palette.

I was thinking that this film will have color tones for all 3 films. I do like the color palette of TDKR so far though. It's bleak and dull in a bright way, just like Winter.

One of the main reasons I enjoyed Returns so much was because it was taking place during Winter. Something about Batman and Gotham City in the Winter time is just a beautiful sight.

Also, the lack of any brown and yellow whatsoever surprised me. It wasn't even present in the Batpod shot. But I know that color does exist in the film where millions of cops chase Batman. We simply haven't seen it yet.

Also, the lack of any brown and yellow whatsoever surprised me. It wasn't even present in the Batpod shot. But I know that color does exist in the film where millions of cops chase Batman. We simply haven't seen it yet.
You don't remember the brown and yellow from the previous trailer?

I was thinking that this film will have color tones for all 3 films. I do like the color palette of TDKR so far though. It's bleak and dull in a bright way, just like Winter.

Returns

^^^
That's what it seems to be as well. TDKR, will have a combination of color palettes from all the Nolan Bat films.

You don't remember the brown and yellow from the previous trailer?

Love your avatar by the way. One of my fav quick shots of the trailer showing Catwoman doing a spinning roundhouse.

That pumped me up, especially with the musical crescendo hitting at the same time. :up:

Ever seen the official shot of a bewildered batman holding a tablet? I doubt the actual film will veer far from the palette in it.

The photo of him with the gun had a brown background too, but it's very different in trailer 2.

Just looking at the flesh tones you can tell the film is desaturated to a considerable degree: a first for a Nolan film (I think). Usually his films have naturalistic color tones, which means not too vibrant and not too bleak. The whites and grays are further accentuated by the fact that the lighting is very high contrast, very harsh; again a first for a Nolan film.

in the first trailer we got a shot of Bane looking down on Bruce. it was before they desaturated. in the new trailer we can see how they changed it.

i like it. i like that every movie looks different.

i dont think Wally white balanced it for orange. i think for TDKR he choose natural white color for street lighting and some blue.

Xbw6Q.jpg

I didn't post my reaction to the trailer yesterday when I first saw it, because I figured some would be trolling and I didn't want to be lumped in with that.

I will say my honest reaction is I've completely lowered any expectations I had for this movie. I've been pretty up front, I've never been a fan of Bane, and I feel other Batman villains would have been a better choice. However on top of that, there's nothing here that got me excited, which was exactly the opposite with the TDK trailer.

The film just looks drab and bleak. I know that's for effect, but to me it just looks lifeless. Even to the point that the batpod thingy when it flies off at the end you look at it and nothing stands out. It doesn't look interesting or compelling.

I go back again to the football scene, which I had a negative reaction to from the last trailer. Should I be laughing? That is my honest reaction. I think a stronger scene would have been for all the players to know that something was wrong and have them run for their life. Anyone who has been through any type of seismic event knows that there's no way you would not notice it. Having the guy run for a Touch down and then look back dumbfounded is beyond ridiculous. It's not trailer worthy and Nolan is capable of better.

Now there are certainly some things that I like. I think Hathaway looks great, and the story line was intriguing. I'm real curious on JGL's role in the film.

My complaints really stem from the look of the film, and the marketing which has been horrific especially compared to what they did with TDK. Now obviously there's a built-in audience from the last film so maybe they don't have to do much, but I think it's good to get people excited about the film and IMHO this trailer did nothing for that.

Should I be laughing?
Yes. Humor was oh so obviously the goal of the scene. A brief moment of levity before destruction. The football player, focused, gunning and running for the game with total obliviousness to the horror behind him. He succeeds his mission, only too look back and drop the ball (and the game) in bewilderment and slowly realizes what's happened. And with him, the audience and the movie goers alike witnesses the play of terror.

i dont think Wally white balanced it for orange. i think for TDKR he choose natural white color for street lighting and some blue.

Xbw6Q.jpg

without meaning to you just made a great point...the Bat is operated by remote. When we were on the set he drove into the alley way and then the Bat launched out the alley way on the other side of the street. It all makes sense now.

Yes. Humor was oh so obviously the goal of the scene. A brief moment of levity before destruction. The football player, focused, gunning and running for the game with total obliviousness to the horror behind him. He succeeds his mission, only too look back and drop the ball (and the game) in bewilderment and slowly realizes what's happened. And with him, the audience and the movie goers alike witnesses the play of terror.

All right, I guess I'm confused because other than the "this isn't a car" moment the tone is pretty serious. The scene may have more context in the movie than it has in the two trailers. Oh well.

I re-watched the new trailer a few times and while I love the Nolan-Bat films/am looking forward to TDKR(will be there opening day)and like the new trailer..Something that hit me&made me realize was that..It just does not really feel like BATMAN to me!

I think the main reason and what's been missing in the Nolan films(especially TDK&seems TDKR)is the fantasy element and plus A LOT of the characteristics of the characters is way off from what they are suppose to be!

People may hate the over the top camp in Batman Forever&of course Batman&Robin But they are basically like random comic issues or toon episodes come to life..Which is much closer to the source material than the Nolan films,In the next reboot I sure hope they use the comics fantasy element But keep the dark&seriousness of the Nolan films!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"