The Dark Knight Rises IMAX TDKR Thread - Part 1

I saw this at the Airbus Imax in DC and I have to admit I was disappointed in the resolution. Absolutely impressive scene size, immersed in the experience, excellent sound, but the resolution did not look like 2k, 4k, 8k or whatever IMAX prints were suppose to be. It looked far superior when I saw it in digital in terms of picture quality sadly. I'm thinking the projectionist may have dropped the ball. Will be checking at the IMAX in Charlotte for reference. Yes, videophile checking in here.

Anyone else have this problem at the true 70/15 locations?

I went to Florida for vacation, and I was lucky that they had an IMAX theater. It was on the 26th where I saw the Dark Knight Rises for the first time, and it was the first time I got to see a movie in IMAX.

I was very impressed with the sound. The sound was so loud and high quality. The screen was huge.

As for the screen's resolution, it was so so. Sometimes when the movie would switch cuts, the faces will turn greenish and pinkish static for less than a split second. I am not sure what this is called, but it was very noticeable.

I watched it again at a low quality theater near my home, and it could not even compare to IMAX. I am going to watch it one more time at a nicer theater that is digital.

My home city does not have an IMAX theater. Well they do, but they only so educational films, it is not a cinema IMAX.

I saw it in 'LieMAX' here in NYC...and despite the ripoff nature of what they're calling it and charging for it, it still looked pretty damn good. Very clear and sharp on an impressively large 'digital plus' screen. It looked and felt very high quality, even compared to a very good 4k regular digital projection, but they still shouldn't charge IMAX prices...perhaps 'in between' regular ad IMAX. But the sound felt WAY too loud and with the overdose of Zimmer music throughout (even worse than TDK), it felt like you were being flogged by it. I really think tat was part of making the viewing experience more unpleasant than it should have been.

I still imagine that a movie like this on a huge true IMAX could also bring up some real motion issues, especially if you're sitting so close to feel 'immersed' in the picture. These kinds of movies need comfortable distance so as not to possibly nauseate people with so much fast cutting and motion. I don't know whether he 35-shot footage looked markedly worse blown up, or if there were projection issues for some. But I would definitely not recommend IMAX for a first viewing because it could be so physically distracting.

Last edited:
I saw it in 'LieMAX' here in NYC...and despite the ripoff nature of what they're calling it and charging for it, it still looked pretty damn good. Very clear and sharp on an impressively large 'digital plus' screen. It looked and felt very high quality, even compared to a very good 4k regular digital projection, but they still shouldn't charge IMAX prices...perhaps 'in between' regular ad IMAX. But the sound felt WAY too loud and with the overdose of Zimmer music throughout (even worse than TDK), it felt like you were being flogged by it. I really think tat was part of making the viewing experience more unpleasant than it should have been.

I still imagine that a movie like this on a huge true IMAX could also bring up some real motion issues, especially if your sitting so close to feel 'immersed' in the picture. These kinds of movies need comfortable distance so as not to possibly nauseate people with so much fast cutting and motion. I don't know whether he 35-shot footage looked markedly worse blown up, or if there were projection issues for some. But I would definitely not recommend IMAX for a first viewing because it could be so physically distracting.

If you get a chance, definitely check out the 'real' IMAX at the Lincoln Square theater on 68th St. I saw it there last week, and it was amazing. Hadn't been to a real IMAX in awhile, and I forgot how much better it is. I sat about a third of the way back, which was probably too close, but it still looked/sounded great.

The first time I saw it was at a LieMAX, and I thought that looked pretty great there too. I actually like our local LieMAX in NJ, it may not be the 'real' thing but the picture and sound quality is great anyway - plus you aren't completely bombarded if you sit too close to the screen.

But the real IMAX? Damn, that awesome. I still have some gift cards left over from my birthday, I think I'm going to use them to see it there one more time. :up:

If you get a chance, definitely check out the 'real' IMAX at the Lincoln Square theater on 68th St. I saw it there last week, and it was amazing. Hadn't been to a real IMAX in awhile, and I forgot how much better it is. I sat about a third of the way back, which was probably too close, but it still looked/sounded great.

The first time I saw it was at a LieMAX, and I thought that looked pretty great there too. I actually like our local LieMAX in NJ, it may not be the 'real' thing but the picture and sound quality is great anyway - plus you aren't completely bombarded if you sit too close to the screen.

But the real IMAX? Damn, that awesome. I still have some gift cards left over from my birthday, I think I'm going to use them to see it there one more time. :up:

Yeah...I dunno...I saw one of the LOTR at the Lincoln Sq. one a while back, and I had good seats...but I still just didn't like it that huge for a feature film. I'm not a proponent of higher frame rates, but I could see how it would help something like a fast-moving action scene on a screen like that. I think there's a maximum screen size/field of view that is optimal for feature films and the way they're shot that IMAX overdoes for a lot of stuff.

But to be honest...I'd still want to go and see it anyway in real IMAX...but I feel like I want to bring earplugs because that sound/music was just ponderous. Don't know if it was any better in regular theaters, but the one in the LieMAX was just brutal. I'm imagining that true IMAX may be even louder.

Anyway..it's to bad they're out to gip people with the IMAX name on the LieMAX...because it is actually pretty darn good in and of itself. They should call is "IMED" :oldrazz:, or 'Digital Plus" and not charge IMAX prices.

My first Imax experience. I felt like i have been neanderthal until today and suddenly met with civilization. I'm glad i didn't scream "Crom!" because it wouldn't be out of place.

Wish the closest IMAX cinema wasn't like 100 miles from where I live!!! Would love to see this in IMAX.

My first Imax experience. I felt like i have been neanderthal until today and suddenly met with civilization. I'm glad i didn't scream "Crom!" because it wouldn't be out of place.

Congratulations on reaching extinction. :O

I loved watching it in IMAX the first time. You get the full impact of the spectacle they were going for. I will say that some of the emotional resonance is sucked out a bit but I honestly didn't mind that as a trade off for the humongous immersion one feels when watching this as intended.

It's absolutely unparalleled really. When I watched it in a regular theater I did miss the enormity of it all but in return it regained a bit more of the intimacy. Although I will say that the first fight between Bane and Batman sank my stomach a lot more in IMAX.

I'm definitely going to try checking it out for my third and final time in IMAX. I recommend sitting in the third from last aisle at the very top in the middle. That's by far the best area to sit to get a really great view without being obstructed by being too close to the screen. You get the whole picture from up there.

My first time in IMAX since TDK. Well worth it.

I just wish we didn't lose some of that 1.44:1 image when it's cropped for 16:9 on home release.

My first time in IMAX since TDK. Well worth it.

I just wish we didn't lose some of that 1.44:1 image when it's cropped for 16:9 on home release.

It's better than center-/sidecropping an even smaller 'full' squarish frame, though.

I might still see the true IMAX one here. But again, that nearly overbearing sound mix/level is a bit of a turn-off...and I'd want to be in the farthest row. And frankly, part of me thinks the 1.4 to 2.35 switching would be even more jarring than the 16:9 to 2.35:1 on BluRay, etc.

I know the Lincoln Square is supposed to be the best in the city, but I find the chairs too uncomfortable, and too close to the row in front of you. It's just not comfortable to sit "cramped" for 2 hours with questionable knees..

I saw it several times at the AMC in Times Square, and the AMC in Portchester. how much worse is the AMC in Times Square than the one at Lincoln Square?

I'm assuming the Times Square one is the one people call LieMax?

the tricky thing with the Lincoln Square one is that it's much more important to get a good centered seat or you're screwed. You'll be looking up, down, and all over the place just to see the action.

I know the Lincoln Square is supposed to be the best in the city, but I find the chairs too uncomfortable, and too close to the row in front of you. It's just not comfortable to sit "cramped" for 2 hours with questionable knees..

I saw it several times at the AMC in Times Square, and the AMC in Portchester. how much worse is the AMC in Times Square than the one at Lincoln Square?

I'm assuming the Times Square one is the one people call LieMax?

the tricky thing with the Lincoln Square one is that it's much more important to get a good centered seat or you're screwed. You'll be looking up, down, and all over the place just to see the action.

That's also one of the reasons why I try to go at odd times during the week or what have you after opening wknd, so there isn't as many people (hate crowded theaters with talking/gasping/clapping/etc) and to get a good seat.

I loved watching it in IMAX the first time. You get the full impact of the spectacle they were going for. I will say that some of the emotional resonance is sucked out a bit but I honestly didn't mind that as a trade off for the humongous immersion one feels when watching this as intended.

It's absolutely unparalleled really. When I watched it in a regular theater I did miss the enormity of it all but in return it regained a bit more of the intimacy. Although I will say that the first fight between Bane and Batman sank my stomach a lot more in IMAX.

I'm definitely going to try checking it out for my third and final time in IMAX. I recommend sitting in the third from last aisle at the very top in the middle. That's by far the best area to sit to get a really great view without being obstructed by being too close to the screen. You get the whole picture from up there.

aren't those the "reserved for handicapped" seats? or is it just the topmost 2?

Anyone else saw it at the BFI IMAX opening day?

It was totally worth the wait, TDKR really proves how IMAX is the best format for filmmakers to use, and now more and more directors are jumping onto the bandwagon.

And if anyone was at the 2:35pm showing on July 20 there, I was the guy who gave the standing ovation when credits hit (I regret nothing! so worth it!)

Wish the closest IMAX cinema wasn't like 100 miles from where I live!!! Would love to see this in IMAX.
I know exactly how you feel. I got lucky because the place I went on vacation had an IMAX theater. So I was able to watch The Dark Knight Rises for the first time and watch it in IMAX, which was my first IMAX Experience

Now I am back home, and the IMAX that is most close to my home is over 100 miles away. I wish I had an IMAX theater near my home, because I would watch an IMAX movie every week.

To make matters worse, the theater company in my city is doing renovation for their theaters, and from what I heard, no IMAX. :csad:

Well I'm unfortunately not going to get to watch this again in IMAX :csad:... oh well, at least I'll be able to watch it in A cinema.

Last Thursday I saw TDKR in the Liberty Science Center IMAX Dome:

When I found out the theater was a Dome, I was a little bit scared of how it would work, the seat placements and if you would be able to see what was going on. After seeing TDKR there, it was definitely a great movie experience. If you're on the fence about seeing it on the Dome, DON'T BE! Especially if you live in NY or NJ - go see this movie since it might be the only time the LSC is showing a feature length film! Plus, it's the largest Dome theater in the US I believe.

If you have any questions about how it looks, or anything just let me know! I'll be glad to help and answer any questions about the experience!

Hey all, just have a quick question...

I've seen the film in regular theaters but I've been wanting to see the film in IMAX. However, I've heard complaints the the film has really bad sound in IMAX, its not very clear and the music drowns out the dialogue. So, I'm hoping to get a few impartial views here about the quality of the movie in IMAX and am just wondering, is it worth going to the IMAX theater for the film or was the experience better at regular theaters?

I'm also looking to go to BFI IMAX in London and according to the people in the GD its a yes yes yes!

My local LieMax is 20X8 but BFI's is 20X26 is there THAT much difference?

yes, just don't sit near the front at the bfi imax. too near to the screen (hard to take it all in)and starts hurting your neck after a while.

i saw tdk and inception in awesome seats (near the back) and it's the best way to watch a movie that there is imo.

Hey all, just have a quick question...

I've seen the film in regular theaters but I've been wanting to see the film in IMAX. However, I've heard complaints the the film has really bad sound in IMAX, its not very clear and the music drowns out the dialogue. So, I'm hoping to get a few impartial views here about the quality of the movie in IMAX and am just wondering, is it worth going to the IMAX theater for the film or was the experience better at regular theaters?
Totally worth it. I would go as far saying it's like watching a different movie. Ive seen it twice in Imax (soon a third) and twice in regular theaters. Of course ive seen it in a REAL Imax not a digital, dont know if u have a real one near you. But it's definately worth it. No sound problems on my end.

It's mindblowing. Im not the only one, ive heard this from many people since July 20th, when i see it with them in a regular theater (once theyve already seen it on the bigger screen) they're like "Of course it was still awesome, but it's nothing compared to when we saw it in Imax". The scope, detail, is pretty immense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this shot -

xlarge.jpg

Isn't filmed with IMAX is it... it didn't fill the screen at my LieMax...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"