The Dark Knight Rises IMAX TDKR Thread - Part 1

I was hoping to see the movie at a regular IMAX, not the dome, curved screens. Never been to an IMAX but have heard mixed reviews of it. Some have said that it is great and some have said it can leave motion sickness from the size of the screen which doesn't sound fun. Any views?

Is it true that the screen cannot be seen fully and the the edges of the screen are out of the field of vision or does the entire screen fill you field of vision if you're sitting at the back of the theater?

Motion sickness? I've never heard of that. My experiences are always amazing. Especially the movies that are actually filmed in Imax. Unbelievable stuff.

It doesn't matter where you sit in a real Imax (at least not mine). I saw the midnight premier of TDKR and it was assigned seating. I was worried as all hell because i was only able to get tickets that were at the very bottom of the theater. The very last section but not the last row. I thought i would have to look up the entire time and it was just as awesome. In some ways it was actually better! No head tilting, no sore neck, no audio troubles, no sick feeling. Im not sure about the edge of the screen being cut-out though. I'd have to get back to you on that when i see it once more.

It really doesnt matter where you sit. (Again, im not sure about other Imax's or if it's different).

How do you know if your theater is real IMAX or a "LieMax".

TDKR was my first IMAX movie, and only IMAX movie.

The screen was big and the sides were curved. That is all I can say.

It was in Destin Commons, in Destin, Flordia.

How do you know if your theater is real IMAX or a "LieMax".

TDKR was my first IMAX movie, and only IMAX movie.

The screen was big and the sides were curved. That is all I can say.

It was in Destin Commons, in Destin, Flordia.

All digital IMAXs are fake. IMAX is film projections here is a list of real IMAXs if yours is there and has "15/70mm" next to it it is a genuine IMAX. If it doesn't have "15/70mm" it is not a real IMAX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

....I think that is right :D

All digital IMAXs are fake. IMAX is film projections here is a list of real IMAXs if yours is there and has "15/70mm" next to it it is a genuine IMAX. If it doesn't have "15/70mm" it is not a real IMAX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

....I think that is right :D
Well Darn! Mine was not real IMAX, has no 15/70 mm by it. :(

I still have yet to see a genuine IMAX movie.

It looks like I do have a genuine IMAX theater at my current city, but they only show educational films :(.

This here is the best guide to tell what kind of Imax your theater has: http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

Seeing TDKR in both real Imax and LieMax there is a noticeable difference. The immersion level for the imax scenes is not really comparable.

Well all right! Looks like my Science Center of Des Moines is a real one! I'll be seeing it Saturday night. Looking foreward to it.:D

I was hoping to see the movie at a regular IMAX, not the dome, curved screens. Never been to an IMAX but have heard mixed reviews of it. Some have said that it is great and some have said it can leave motion sickness from the size of the screen which doesn't sound fun. Any views?

Is it true that the screen cannot be seen fully and the the edges of the screen are out of the field of vision or does the entire screen fill you field of vision if you're sitting at the back of the theater?

The only reason motion sickness could possibly come into play is if you get stuck at the front of the theater. And if you do get stuck at the front, it's your own fault. You always have the option to show up early enough to get a seat at the back of the theater.

Does anyone know if the BFI IMAX in London is true IMAX or is it LIEmax?

Does anyone know if the BFI IMAX in London is true IMAX or is it LIEmax?

True IMAX and the biggest in Britain measuring at 20X26 meters. Hopefully going there next week.

Seeing it at the IMAX again in 5 minutes. :woot:

True IMAX and the biggest in Britain measuring at 20X26 meters. Hopefully going there next week.

Are you sure? Buddy was telling me they got bought out by another company (Ode something) and that there are now digital projectors in use there (which are fake.)?
Was hoping to catch the film at the BFI while on vacation here.

Are you sure? Buddy was telling me they got bought out by another company (Ode something) and that there are now digital projectors in use there (which are fake.)?
Was hoping to catch the film at the BFI while on vacation here.

They are now an Odeon cinema (which only means they are now ran by the main cinema chain) they recently replaced the screen to a new 20 meter by 26 meter screen. They do now have both a digital projector to screen all IMAX films rather than a select few and a film projector. Their policy is to use the film projector whenever possible. TDKR is played on a film projector.

Here - http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/bfi-imax-screen-be-replaced

Which means that TDKR will be true IMAX for the time being and not the fake projector which costs the same amount?

I did notice that they intend to completely get rid of using a film projector when IMAX can have the technology show films entirely in digital projection.

Yeah they will change it when the technology becomes available which is a massive shame yet it is easier to project digital I believe, TDKR however is being projected with a film projector.

In Philly (Franklin Institute Tuttleman IMAX - $15), before you head into the theater they actually have the projection booth open to see. You stand in line and see the huge reel being fed into the projector. as the film is over the projecter drops and the tech plays around with knobs and whistles and settings. It's pretty cool to see.

I never realized how huge the reel is for IMAX.

The seats are stiff. They have no give at all, but they have plenty of leg room.

I like to sit down in front so I basically lie down while watching the film.

I'm going today (#11) I'm going to get in early, I want to sit to the back of the theater for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"