The 2012 CNN Florida Republican Presidential Debate

The campaigning afterwards making the Civil Rights Bill a "Democratic Bill" in rewritten history is what counts. History is written by the victors. We all know the Democrats voted against like wise measures numerous times, but the fact is they changed.

Hispanics are in the same category. They vote Democratic because the Democrats provide trivial attention. But the truth is neither party addresses issues of Hispanics. Likewise Republicans could follow in the same tradition which Johnson did and despite the lack in numbers, all it takes is a vissionary to lock up the Hispanic vote.

Sadly I don't see a Nixon, Johnson, or any true visionary in this crop of candidates (aside from Paul, but he has little chance of winning).

Seriously, what is up with Romney and Paul. They got some secret pact going or something.

1. They won't attack each other til only they are left.

Or

2. Mitt will select Rand Paul as VP if Paul doesn't attack him, takes out other GOP candidates, and maybe no endorsement of Johnson. Johnson WILL get 10-20% of the vote in Nov if Ron Paul endorses him. Gary is Ron Paul Lite.

the other three dont believe what newt said?

Democrats did not changed, they hijack the Bill to prevent the Republican from continuing to have that block of voters, because of the voting right bill that allowed EVERYONE to vote. African American traditionally voted Republican up til 1972. Democrats hijack that block to the detriment of African American, who have continue to spiral downward as a culture and ignored by the Party.

Ron Paul comes from the Mises Libertarian branch, Johnson is from the Reason Libertarian branch. Johnson is far more palatable to mainstream voters and possibly some Democrats, it's just too bad he never got a shot. So I wouldn't call him Ron Paul lite. Those two branches don't necessarily get along, but they would sooner support each other than say your typical neocon.

If a Objectivist ran, the said Objectivist would scare the bejesus out of Santorum in terms of foreign policy. I would love to see it just for entertainment value. There was the interview of an objectivist with Bill O'Reilly, and O'Reilly looked like a dove.

Johnson is going for the Libertarian Party Nom...which is usually from what a know...not a threat...bit this year, it could gain serious traction.

Democrats did not changed, they hijack the Bill to prevent the Republican from continuing to have that block of voters, because of the voting right bill that allowed EVERYONE to vote. African American traditionally voted Republican up til 1972. Democrats hijack that block to the detriment of African American, who have continue to spiral downward as a culture and ignored by the Party.

Well they got the African American vote but basically gave up the south in the process

I think you underestimate what Johnson was able to accomplish (albeit using the death of JFK to help push it). Johnson was a political expert and an underrated visionary. Members of his own party fillibustered the deal for days, but the truth is Johnson pushed the final bill through. I don't think you understand my point.

Everyone knows African Americans voted Republican before... The fact is Johnson in the face of his base was able to pass the bill to get the block of voters. The fact that African American issues were finally heard was enough to take that voting bloc from Republicans who did almost nothing to actually push anything substanial for African Americans.

The same scenario is with Hispanics today. Democrats offer us only lip service. Even though some of the Republican base may not be in favor of some of these proposals, doing something for Hispanics once would more than make up for the modern Republican losses in the George Wallace figures of our time etc.

I wish an Objectivist would ran, just to see the Progressives freakout. It would be high octane nightmare fuel of a thousand seppukus.

I'm sure at least a few major candidates were closet objectivists.

I think you underestimate what Johnson was able to accomplish (albeit using the death of JFK to help push it). Johnson was a political expert and an underrated visionary. Members of his own party fillibustered the deal for days, but the truth is Johnson pushed the final bill through. I don't think you understand my point.

Everyone knows African Americans voted Republican before... The fact is Johnson in the face of his base was able to pass the bill to get the block of voters. The fact that African American issues were finally heard was enough to take that voting bloc from Republicans who did almost nothing to actually push anything substanial for African Americans.

The same scenario is with Hispanics today. Democrats offer us only lip service. Even though some of the Republican base may not be in favor of some of these proposals, doing something for Hispanics once would more than make up for the modern Republican losses in the George Wallace figures of our time etc.
What do republicans offer latinos that democrats don't?

Nothing, that's the point. Neither side currently offers anything substantial. There is room for either party to make a bold move (but then again looking at the state of both parties I guess its a hopeless desire to see issues actually addressed)

The problem on the republican side is they can't offer anything substantial to latinos without alienating a large segment of right-wing voters.

Quetzal, you are giving Johnson and his Party way to much credit. Johnson express his oposition against the bill as far back as 1955. The Democrat Party owned the House and Senate. The Republican did all the could to bring equality to all minorities...it was the Democratic House & Senate that blocked every bill that reached the floor. Democrats have always been detriment to African Americans. For 48 years before the Newt Revolution won the House & Senate from the democrats, what have they done to the betterment of the people? Nothing. The community & culture had spiral down. It was the Republican party who tried to stop the "Whites Only" mantra that was pervasive then. What are you talking about?

BTW, many don't know that African American voted Republican up til 1972...there is a reason why they did, and a reason why many don't know that.

I think we all know that they voted Republican up til 1972. Johnson was a master of the Senate of his time. The fact is he was an opportunist and a vissionary. He espoused policies against African Americans for years, this is true. But the fact is he saw that Republicans had not ACCOMPLISHED anything for African Americans.

Providing lip service to a people is nothing short of hot air. I feel like you should look into the autobiographies that came out years later. MLK campaigned for Republicans for years. But Johnson pulled MLK in and many other African American leaders and literally took the African American bloc with him with political genius.

And you can't honestly tell me Jim Crow was better for African American culture. What are YOU talking about? Democrats took heat for Johnson's change in attitude. Look at the shift in politics from 1972 onwards. The fact is Johnson turned the map of America more Democratic with his political genius. Politics then and now had different demographic maps, this I feel like is obvious to anyone.

Dude, I never said Jim Crow anything....that was a Democrat policy that the Republican faught against. You are trying to insinuate facts I did not make. Johnson was no opportunist. Kennedy, against his own party wanted pass the Civil Rights Bill. He campaign on it; and it was one of the things that him and Nixon agree on. When Kennedy was assasinated, their was a huge outcry to pass "Kennedy's Bill". The Democrats refuse, excepts for those Senators and enough House members who seats were in jeopardy for the then up coming election, cross Party line. Johnson said it was with "great regret" he sign the bill into law.

Quetzal, you are giving Johnson and his Party way to much credit. Johnson express his oposition against the bill as far back as 1955. The Democrat Party owned the House and Senate. The Republican did all the could to bring equality to all minorities...it was the Democratic House & Senate that blocked every bill that reached the floor. Democrats have always been detriment to African Americans. For 48 years before the Newt Revolution won the House & Senate from the democrats, what have they done to the betterment of the people? Nothing. The community & culture had spiral down. It was the Republican party who tried to stop the "Whites Only" mantra that was pervasive then. What are you talking about?

BTW, many don't know that African American voted Republican up til 1972...there is a reason why they did, and a reason why many don't know that.
Blacks voted republican for a long time because it was Lincoln's party. And the KKK favored the democrats up until the 1950's.

Alot has changed since then. The values of each party has evolved to suit the most convenient voter prospects.

Dude, I never said Jim Crow anything....that was a Democrat policy that the Republican faught against. You are trying to insinuate facts I did not make. Johnson was no opportunist. Kennedy, against his own party wanted pass the Civil Rights Bill. He campaign on it; and it was one of the things that him and Nixon agree on. When Kennedy was assasinated, their was a huge outcry to pass "Kennedy's Bill". The Democrats refuse, excepts for those Senators and enough House members who seats were in jeopardy for the then up coming election, cross Party line. Johnson said it was with "great regret" he sign the bill into law.

Republicans had not done anything for African Americans for 50 years outside of lip service. I don't have to insinuate anything if you honestly believe things were better then.

I think you dont understand we are saying the same thing to a degree. The Democratic party was against the Civil Rights movement for years (again everyone knows this...) Kennedy's assasination was the key to passing the bill. Johnson's ties in the Senate and rounding up key public figures for support was the reason the bill survived the numerous fillibusters.

Who do you think trumped the JFK assasination to get this bill through? Johnson played this angle to many senators and the public.

This man was the man who proposed the Great Society afterwards. Of course he was an opportunist. Of course he didn't view African Americans too favorably, but the fact remains that he pushed through the final bill.

Look at congressional transcripts, this is well documented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"