The 26th James Bond Film

In terms of age

Roger Moore quite literally got cast at 46 years old and Brosnan was 42. So anybody from mid 30s to mid 40s is kinda fair game.
I think the producers said they were looking for late 20s to early 30s for the next one, but I could be wrong.
I recall reading about the latter. Filmfreak is right here.

But most people considered him too old (including himself by FYEO). Plus back then they made the films far more frequently. He had already made three films by the time he turned 50. By comparison, there were three films in the last 12 years.
Did people think Moore was too old even in his first few films? He didn't appear to be, he had sort of a youthful vibe.
But after MR, he had aged quite a bit. He got a more rugged look which was kinda suitable for the more down-to-earth spy film FYEO. And even for the cold war element in OP.
This is my personal opinion though.
But even I felt he started to look too old by the time of his last film.
As a fan of Moore, sometimes I wish AVTAK could have switched place with TLD so that he could have done a more full fludged cold war story before he left the role.

Didn’t realize Brosnan was in his 40s when he was officially cast. Though to be fair, he was really cast almost a decade before that so I’m guessing they didn’t care about his age when he was finally able to take on the role.
Plus Brosnan could also pass for a little younger than his age during most of his tenure as Bond up until Die Another Day where he was pushing 50, but even then it was nowhere near as obvious as the later Moore Bond films.

Similarly, Dalton was also just over 40 when he was cast as Bond but he could also pass as being in his mid-late 30's in his films.

It's interesting that half of the actors who've played Bond were over 40 when they were cast. Connery was in his early 30's, Craig was in his late 30's and Lazenby must have been 29 when he was cast because he turned 30 a few months before OHMSS came out. I never realized how young he was in that one.

I don’t mind a slightly older Bond. I would rather that than like, a baby Bond. 007 should look seasoned
He can't be that seasoned when he begins because people will start complaining about the actor's age well before his time as 007 has reached his end.
But for his last 1 or 2 films, I think it's ok if he's aged a bit

They want someone who can be Bond for four or five films.
If they cast someone young-looking enough, he could perhaps even do a sixth film.

Similarly, Dalton was also just over 40 when he was cast as Bond but he could also pass as being in his mid-late 30's in his films.
As an interesting side note, considering Dalton's look in the B action flic Made Men (1999), I felt that he still could have played Bond at the time. A more seasoned 007 yes, but still young enough for field work.

1711233789885.png

As an interesting side note, considering Dalton's look in the B action flic Made Men (1999), I felt that he still could have played Bond at the time. A more seasoned 007 yes, but still young enough for field work.

View attachment 84555
Definitely. Had there not been a significant delay after License to Kill he'd have probably continued on through the '90s as Bond. As it is, I'd have loved to see at least one more Bond film with Dalton but since I like both him and Brosnan in the role I'm kind of glad that things turned out the way they did.

Definitely. Had there not been a significant delay after License to Kill he'd have probably continued on through the '90s as Bond. As it is, I'd have loved to see at least one more Bond film with Dalton but since I like both him and Brosnan in the role I'm kind of glad that things turned out the way they did.
It could have been interesting. I think there was plans to do Property of a Lady next and release it somewhere in 1991-92.

I saw Made Men when it was new. Quite a bad film.
But still, it seemed that Dalton had packed some muscles. He looked more dangerous than ever. I got a sting of sadness that he didn't continue as Bond. Because I disliked Brosnan a lot during that time, lol.

Sadly another great candidate which just about aged out at this point.

cd031343781d942c7d99d1d0be564fa6e80e756a.gif

OIXtkOvB9KB4NCcUAwypUb_ZGvv7Eyvmc5PVrzSviz0.jpg

He’s only 37. I’d say he still stands a chance.
Yeah, 37 is not even remotely aged out. That is Bond's stated age in the books and was Craig's age when cast. And he had a 15 year tenure just like EON wants for the next one.
But most people considered him too old (including himself by FYEO). Plus back then they made the films far more frequently. He had already made three films by the time he turned 50. By comparison, there were three films in the last 12 years.
People also aged very differently then. People are aging a lot more slowly now. Connery and Craig were only a couple years apart in age when they shot their swan songs and looked almost a decade apart in age:
Never-Say-Never-Again-Dark-Grey-Herringbone-Suit.jpg

james_bond_daniel_craig_utan_2023.jpg

Basically, the sweet spot is for EON to hire someone in their mid-30s who can play the character until about 50.

Has EON tipped their hands at all about actors they are looking at like they did with Brianna back in the day? I remember them making a comment about Elba always being in the conversation a while back but at 51, I don’t seen them casting him (even though he could pass for 41). Just wondering if they’ve publicly discussed anyone else.

I think the producers said they were looking for late 20s to early 30s for the next one, but I could be wrong.

I recall reading about the latter. Filmfreak is right here.
Filmfreak is right that they want a "fresh face", but the reports defined that as someone in their "late 30s" who could play the role for about 15 years.

I just remember one thing. When they were going to start pre-production the first Bondfilm in several years, Dalton was still signed on. They expected him to return. But he left before they started any real pre-production. Though, I guess the script writing had begun to an extent.
That film was Goldeneye.
Can you believe how close it was to have Dalton in Goldeneye? :whoa:

I think this old teaser for Goldeneye is very much a nod to Dalton. One can almost think it's HIM walking in the shadows before the spotlight reveals the face. :)

My favorites right now; all of these guys are in the 30-40 range.

Daryl McCormack
Rege Jean-Page
Oliver Jackson-Cohen
Theo James
Cosmo Jarvis

Filmfreak is right that they want a "fresh face", but the reports defined that as someone in their "late 30s" who could play the role for about 15 years.
Have there been new reports after the ones that stated the producers wanted actors in their early 30s?
Perhaps many of those candidates appeared too young for the role? It's interesting to compare with Connery being only 32 when he started out.
What's the deal with actors being so youthful these days?

Daryl McCormack
Rege Jean-Page
Oliver Jackson-Cohen
Theo James
Cosmo Jarvis
Rege has got the smoothness totally down. :cool:

I just remember one thing. When they were going to start pre-production the first Bondfilm in several years, Dalton was still signed on. They expected him to return. But he left before they started any real pre-production. Though, I guess the script writing had begun to an extent.
That film was Goldeneye.
Can you believe how close it was to have Dalton in Goldeneye? :whoa:

I think this old teaser for Goldeneye is very much a nod to Dalton. One can almost think it's HIM walking in the shadows before the spotlight reveals the face. :)

Goldeneye was very much intended for Dalton and Dalton was game to return. He was Cubby's guy, but EON wanted Dalton to sign a three picture deal. They didn't want to get the series running again only to have to recast after only one film. Dalton wanted to do one more and leave on a high note, but wasn't willing to sign on for three.

Daryl McCormack
Rege Jean-Page
Oliver Jackson-Cohen
Theo James
Cosmo Jarvis
I'm going to introduce another possible name.

Luke Pasqualino

The actor (b. 1990) was the lead in the Snatch series a while ago. I think that he could maybe fit the role

Goldeneye was very much intended for Dalton and Dalton was game to return. He was Cubby's guy, but EON wanted Dalton to sign a three picture deal. They didn't want to get the series running again only to have to recast after only one film. Dalton wanted to do one more and leave on a high note, but wasn't willing to sign on for three.
That was a mistake. It's not like Dalton had a big career going on.
If he had agreed to continue, he would have been a bigger name than he is. Though perhaps he didn't want all that fame, but rather preferred to play interesting characters.

Stuff in Goldeneye actually do seem tailor made for Dalton. Like him being a leftover from the cold war, the old mission together with 006 etc. And perhaps even Bond revealing that being cold and distant it's what has kept him alive.
What I said earlier about Made Men means that Dalton could still play the role in TWINE (but likely with a somewhat different story and/or title). It could have been his last one.

Yeah, 37 is not even remotely aged out. That is Bond's stated age in the books and was Craig's age when cast. And he had a 15 year tenure just like EON wants for the next one.

People also aged very differently then. People are aging a lot more slowly now. Connery and Craig were only a couple years apart in age when they shot their swan songs and looked almost a decade apart in age:

Basically, the sweet spot is for EON to hire someone in their mid-30s who can play the character until about 50.
Was going to say something along these lines. 30, 40, 50 back then are not close to the same as they are now.

Something worth mentioning is that youtfulness could happen before too. Not as much as today, but still.
Moore in his first film LALD, was 6 years older than Connery in DAF, yet could pass for a decade younger than him.

Last edited:
37? No. But I think it would be a mistake to cast someone who is 47.

That actor is 40 by the time the film comes out and probably 43-44 by the second one, knocking on 50 by the third. It takes too damn long to make and come out now. I understand why some of the age rumors has them looking at 25-27 range.

37? No. But I think it would be a mistake to cast someone who is 47.
Considering this forum's public opnion about Thomas Brodie Sangster, it could be the only way for people here to accept him as 007.
At the age of 47, I don't think anybody will still complain that he looks 14 :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"