the 78th annual Academy Awards

GoldenAgeHero

Avenger
Reaction score
eventually someone had to start this thread. i started one last year , so i figured might as well make it a tradition.:) it begisn at 8 pm eastern tonight, dont know about you western bastrds.

so who do you hope wins an awrd tonight.

in all honesty, i woul;d not like capote to win, the film is too contrived. brokeback mountain eally doesnt deserve to win anything., but whatever.

i hope Joaquin Phoenix wins "best Actor" i really liked him as Johnny Cash....very good movie.

There's allready a Will you be watchin' thread. So whatever..

this isnt a will you be watching it. this threads is actually about the award show. anyhow, this year has been pretty much bland. i really wish the academy would observe other movies the deserve an award.

GoldenAgeHero said:
this isnt a will you be watching it. this threads is actually about the award show. anyhow, this year has been pretty much bland. i really wish the academy would observe other movies the deserve an award.

What do you mean?

I hope Brokeback Mountain doesn't win the best film in this year's Oscars. Alot of people seem to think that's how it's gonna go, and I'd say I'd agree. But you know what? It doesn't deserve it. It's a good movie, but it's not THAT good. It's not great. I liked it, but was also left feeling disappointed.

The film lost it's momentum the first time they came down from the mountain. It just wasn't as interesting after that. The movie focused very little on the relationship of the two main characters. It was more focused on Heith Ledger's character, and his family. And when the two guys did meet up, it wasn't like it was romantic or like they were deeply in love. I didn't "feel the love". The sex scenes too, they weren't passionate enough. Rough sex, "I kinda wanna beat you up but wanna bone you" sex doesn't mean it's passionate. It just seemed to me they wanted to get their nuts off rather than actually make love.

The movie dragged. Especially when they came down off the mountain for the first time. The movie really, REALLY dragged. It was well shot, well acted and everything, but just not a great movie overall.

I think it will win best film simply because of politics.

Crash is a better film and should pick up the Oscar. Actually, maybe Walk The Line should get it. Walk The Line was great.

This didnt need its own thread.

I hope that Phoenix wins for "Walk the Line".

I can't say that "Brokeback Mountain" should or should not win since I haven't seen it yet. And I AM NOT, nor do I want to sound like, a gay-basher, but I'm tired of a film getting critical acclaim and award nominations simply because it shows homosexuality in a positive light. And it's not just homosexuality, but anything. Racism, the Holocaust, whatever. It seems like if a movie picks an oppressed minority and lifts it up - exploits its trials and tribulations, it's automatically given this gold card of merit and is bestowed as an "important film."

I think it is important to elighten people about the plights of others on this planet. I'm not belittling any group of people. My problem is with how these films are instantly deified (for lack of a better word). I'm sure "Mountain" is a well-made film with superb acting. But I can't help but feel that much of the attention it gets is for its taboo subject matter.

I would like to see the public reaction to a movie about gay man who's in a serious relationship when he finds himself attracted to woman that he falls in love with. The gay lover would be this hateful, oppressive man (usually a role reserved for the narrow-minded heterosexuals) who tries to belittle the title character for this unbelievable change of lifestyle.

I guess "Chasing Amy" sort of covered this ground but the lesbian in that film was not "allowed" to run off with Ben Affleck in the end.

I'm watching it right now.

Jon Stewart was dying a bit in the first part of his monologue.

Picked up a bit with the gay cowboy montage :up:

Crash shouldn't have even been nominated.

I agree, nice speech by him.

Wow. Nick Park, "Kong" and Clooney. I like the way Oscar's going this year.

Why not? What should have been nominated in it's place??

Oh well, when Wallace won nobody really cared about their acceptance speech.

And Dolly Parton looks like a puppet of plaster. :(

kainedamo said:
I hope Brokeback Mountain doesn't win the best film in this year's Oscars. Alot of people seem to think that's how it's gonna go, and I'd say I'd agree. But you know what? It doesn't deserve it. It's a good movie, but it's not THAT good. It's not great. I liked it, but was also left feeling disappointed.

The film lost it's momentum the first time they came down from the mountain. It just wasn't as interesting after that. The movie focused very little on the relationship of the two main characters. It was more focused on Heith Ledger's character, and his family. And when the two guys did meet up, it wasn't like it was romantic or like they were deeply in love. I didn't "feel the love". The sex scenes too, they weren't passionate enough. Rough sex, "I kinda wanna beat you up but wanna bone you" sex doesn't mean it's passionate. It just seemed to me they wanted to get their nuts off rather than actually make love.

The movie dragged. Especially when they came down off the mountain for the first time. The movie really, REALLY dragged. It was well shot, well acted and everything, but just not a great movie overall.

I think it will win best film simply because of politics.

Crash is a better film and should pick up the Oscar. Actually, maybe Walk The Line should get it. Walk The Line was great.

And how is it different from any other Oscar winner? :o

Did Wallace and Gromit really win best animation??

If so, I'm so disappointed. Howl's Moving Castle is such a spectacular movie. Like I said, humor alone shouldn't be enough and isn't enough to make it best animation. If you think about it, this degrades the entire animation medium into something that is only supposed to be funny.

kainedamo said:
Why not? What should have been nominated in it's place??
A lot of other movies. It was a cloyingly simplistic after-school special of a script that does nothing but deal with the most basic and stereotypical themes, all while cribbing Magnolia yet miraculously missing the point of the very thing it was cribbing, using it for pure contrivance instead.

The acting was phenominal though.

Kong won for FX. I can't think of any more deserving film from 2005, or any year, for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"