The All-Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 7

I think just doing better than JL would be a big win, personally. Considering we're basically dealing with DC's "Ant-Man" - the character that was considered a joke and not a serious movie prospect a few years ago. WW and Aquaman both doing better than Justice League (a movie they both appeared in) would tell the suits loud and clear that it's not the brand or disinterest in the characters that was the problem.

I’m ecstatic that other DC characters are getting some love. There’s a Shazam! movie coming out next year for gods sake. And there’s a real possibility that it’ll make more than JL too. Crazy

65 million over 3 Days isn’t that great but we are still over 3 weeks out so no cause for concern.

There's no cause for concern anyway. Still pretty high for a December release (Not counting Star Wars). None of these late December release will earn their max potential because of the proximity of the release dates. It's all about legs.
I’m just hoping it crosses around 700M worldwide when all is said and done. 5 years ago that thought would’ve been crazy for Aquaman since we saw how MOS struggled to get at 670M

Shame we live in an age today where $670 MILLION is struggling. Most movies would kill to make that amount. I remember Captain America: The First Avenger made just $370 million TOTAL worldwide.

Shame we live in an age today where $670 MILLION is struggling. Most movies would kill to make that amount. I remember Captain America: The First Avenger made just $370 million TOTAL worldwide.
For a Superman movie I consider that struggling. Dr. Strange made more money. Dr. Strange....

Aquaman had a budget low enough that pretty much anything should be good enough. With China it should cross $700 million.

For a Superman movie I consider that struggling. Dr. Strange made more money. Dr. Strange....
Dr. Strange is also a post avenger 1 and 2 /marvel phase 2 film. It can not be compared. look at how much the Marvel films were making when Man of Steel came out. MOS beat them all at the box office!! And then Avengers came out and that catapulted all of the Marvel films into the stratosphere thereafter. It's really funny how the narrative about the critical and box office success of Marvel and DC has been so falsified and exaggerated lately because 10 years ago DC films were killing marvel films at the box office. look at The Dark Kight trilogy and MOS vs all the Marvel phase 1 films. Not to mention all of the many other Marvel movie experiments that were released outside of the "marvel studios" label. None of those Marvel movies really did all that well by comparison(save for maybe the Spiderman franchise). Over the last 18 years, there have been 50 marvel films released to DCes 16. I think by percentage DC has a stronger record. The biggest mistakes WB made after the Dark Knight trilogy was rushing everything and hiring Zack Snyder to be in charge of so many of their films(let alone their entire universe). I was never a fan of Mr. Snyder. I did not like any of his films prior to MOS(which is the only film of his that I liked. Very much so in fact). MOS should have been the only film he was allowed to make ...but I am not going to get into all that. Some good decisions were obviously made(Momoa as Aquaman being one of quite a few good decisions - if I am being honest). Anyway, I digress...

I thought MOS BO was considered good?
After Superman Return BO, MOS opened above 100M with almost 700M BO.
I recalled that some people even thought it would failed because Superman was considered past oldies heroes and was 'not going to get +500M'.
One exec did said that it would pass 1B or something and WB weren't pleased with him because they never predicted that or thought that was possible.

It even hinder the previous 'Shazam' adaptation.
"In December 2013, Segal (Peter Segal, director) stated that the film would not be happening, as the similarities between Captain Marvel and Superman had become an obstacle after the successful launch of Man of Steel."

I thought MOS BO was considered good?
After Superman Return BO, MOS opened above 100M with almost 700M BO.
I recalled that some people even thought it would failed because Superman was considered past oldies heroes and was 'not going to get +500M'.
One exec did said that it would pass 1B or something and WB weren't pleased with him because they never predicted that or thought that was possible.

It even hinder the previous 'Shazam' adaptation.
"In December 2013, Segal (Peter Segal, director) stated that the film would not be happening, as the similarities between Captain Marvel and Superman had become an obstacle after the successful launch of Man of Steel."

A lot of the execs who greenlit MOS aren't there anymore. Toby Emmerich who is now in charge has focused on making films that aren't crazy expensive although there are exceptions like Ready Player One of FB2 but the highest grossing WB film domestically is A Star is Born which cost $36-40m and has nearly made $200m domestic and $350m WW.

LOL they probably removed 3 seconds of a shot, stop the hysteria. Filmmakers edit out little bits for rating all the time

or you know, leave UK, apparently. Strange that UK demanded cut when USA didn't

Hunger Games removed blood splatter from the UK release to get the 12A rating. The BBFC are quite strict on gore, violent and blood. The likes of Venom, Suicide Squad and even The Mummy all got 15 rating and most of them were pretty tame by 15 standards.

I think just doing better than JL would be a big win, personally. Considering we're basically dealing with DC's "Ant-Man" - the character that was considered a joke and not a serious movie prospect a few years ago. WW and Aquaman both doing better than Justice League (a movie they both appeared in) would tell the suits loud and clear that it's not the brand or disinterest in the characters that was the problem.
Agreed!

I’ve been seeing and hearing a lot of people say “they actually made aquaman cool”
It’s annoying to me that people are seeing it that way :funny:
They’re not seeing that they were wrong and that aquaman isn’t as lame as they’ve believed that he is for no reason.
It’s that he was reinvented and made badass. :funny:

I’ve been seeing and hearing a lot of people say “they actually made aquaman cool”
They’re not seeing that they were wrong and that aquaman isn’t as lame as they’ve believed that he is for no reason.
Yeah. This is a guy who's not only got super-strength, speed and senses almost on par with Kryptonians as well as telepathy, but he's also the King of the wealthiest and most technologically advanced nation on Earth, commanding an army of thousands of superhumans. And that's leaving out the power he wields with the Trident of Poseidon. But no, he's lame because he "talks to fish." :whatever:

Yeah. This is a guy who's not only got super-strength, speed and senses almost on par with Kryptonians as well as telepathy, but he's also the King of the wealthiest and most technologically advanced nation on Earth, commanding an army of thousands of superhumans. And that's leaving out the power he wields with the Trident of Poseidon. But no, he's lame because he "talks to fish." :whatever:

Superfriends is to blame for that stupid trope which is odd because everyone was lame in that show.

That's because internet and media were virally portrayed him as lame hero that seems only has insignificant and irrelevant powers. To the point that Entourage jokes are very popular.

WW was considered lame too. 'A heroine with skimpy outfit and bondage theme with magical lasso, tiara and bracelets won't work'.

Everything won't work until it works. :funny:

A lot of the execs who greenlit MOS aren't there anymore. Toby Emmerich who is now in charge has focused on making films that aren't crazy expensive although there are exceptions like Ready Player One of FB2 but the highest grossing WB film domestically is A Star is Born which cost $36-40m and has nearly made $200m domestic and $350m WW.
If Aquaman budget really is around 160M and turn a nice profit, he really is The Almighty Wan and Hamada made his magic. WB probably will never let Wan go and other studios will demand him more. So far Wan has a Midas touch and continuously launches new franchises. I expect him to stick around for future DC movies.

Last edited:
tumblr_pizt01GfuC1uezmbko4_400.gif
tumblr_pizt01GfuC1uezmbko5_400.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"