The "Amalgam Universe" RPG IC thread

The jet slows down to 300 mph as the drainage tunnel comes into view. As the tunnel dead ends the jet turns to the right and comes to a stop in the launching bay.

Open Hatch.

The jet’s hatch draws back. I pocket the three gold bars and climb down to the floor.

Close Hatch. Commence System Shutdown.

The engines slowly die and the tunnels become silent. I walk toward the cart that still rests where I left it, sit down, and I begin driving toward Dr. Magnus’s laboratory. I have been gone for only two hours and I do not expect William’s work to be complete. I continue driving past his laboratory and toward the elevator.

I reach the elevator and turn off the cart as I stand. I flip the intercom switch next to the elevator and alert the security team of my return.

I have returned quite earlier than I had expected. You may resume your normal duties, but do not bother Dr. Magnus. Presently, I am headed to my quarters where you can contact me if needed.

Yes, Sir. We will leave the sublevels heavily guarded, but undisturbed, Sir.

I flip the intercom off and press the up arrow at the elevator. I take it to my quarters on the 53rd floor. I lock my quarters as I enter using the password. The past few hours have been strenuous, even for a man such as myself, and I am in the mood for a good drink. I walk into my bedroom and speak the password that reveals my hidden cache. I place the remaining gold bars within the glass case and close the hidden room behind myself.

I undress and put on my robe. I move into the living room and pull the bottle of whiskey out of the bar and plant myself on the leather sofa in front of the television.

I wonder if anything exciting has happened today.

Chuckling to myself, I turn the television on to the local news reports. I watch as the stories pass one by one; murder, arson, rape, kidnapping. In its own pathetic way, the news broadcasts are an adequate testament to what it is to be a human being. Inside every human is a constant conflict between man and animal; the struggle to be superior to everything and everyone around him.

I walk across the room and make my way out onto my private balcony, taking in a deep breath of fresh air. None of them know just how low on the food chain they are; how inferior they are to a being like me. I am the only higher power looking down upon them, and soon enough they will feel my wrath. They will bow down like the useless dogs that they are, or they will die and serve no purpose in the future. Soon my Sentinels will be done, and the world will be at my mercy.

*BOOM*

The building shakes violently and I dive into my quarters as the balcony snaps off from the sudden jolt.

What the…

*BOOM*

The building is jolted again. This time I run over to the intercom next to my door and press the button.

Security what is…

*BOOM*

…what is going on down there?

The intercom emits static and I hear gunshots and screaming.

Sir….someone…..damn it…hold them back men! Don’t let them reach the elevators…ahhhh….sir, I’ve….been..sho---

Static begins emitting from the intercom once again.

I open my door and run to the elevator. Too late, it has already begun its decent to the security team on the ground level. Just as the LED display shows the floor number it has reached 40, I begin to pry the doors open. I get them open and look up, the display reads 32. The cables in front of me are moving steadily along as the elevator descends. I jump down the shaft and begin a freefall. I fall for a few seconds and land with a thud on top of the elevator car, leaving an imprint nearly a foot deep in the roof. I stand for a moment to stretch my legs after the sudden shock and pry the escape hatch open, dropping down into the car.

The elevator is already down to floor 17. I relax and position myself facing the door, my back against the elevator car’s wall. I am going to be a gracious host and greet my uninvited guests myself.

Barbara wheels into the lab at 9:35 am and Rick is already at work.

He says, "Barbara are you okay? I was starting to get worried."

She replies, "Rick I'm okay I just had a bit of a long night. I was on-line working on a couple of personal projects of mine and the line at Starbuck was extra-long this morning. Sorry if I worried you anyway brought something for you."

She pulls out two blueberry muffins and 2 large lattes.

Rick says, "Oh thank you Barbara."

He takes the food and coffee and says, "Anyway what I was working on is re-calibrating the main sensor pattern on the laser so that we can get a shorter burst but a little more intensity. By by passing the secondary circuits and..."

Barbara interrupts and says, "Rick don't give me all the details, because if you do that then where will be all the fun later."

He gives her a puzzled look and she smiles and says, "Just let me see the schimatic alterations you've made so far."

Rick says, "Oh okay here you go."

Barbara takes the diagrams and begins reading them over.

She looks at Rick as though he were a student and she were a teacher. Then she smiles broadly saying, "Good work Rick."

He says, "Really you mean it?"

Barbara says, "Yes I do Rick. There are some small technical aspects to be worked out, but your theory and your current alterations are on the right track."

The phone rings and she wheels to it. She answers, "Star-Con labs. Lab 1 this is Dr. Van Dyne."

The voice on the other end says, "Dr. Van Dyne this Dr. Connors we have a problem."

She asks, "And what is that?"

He says, "The Brainion project that you advised on last year has developed some issues."

Barbara asks, "What kind of issues?"

Connors replies, "It's kind of hard to explain on the phone. The bottom line is this you know just about every inch of that thing's CPU and they need you in DC pronto."

She says, "Dr. Connors there are dozens of others who can do this. I wasn't the only advisor on that project."

He says, "You're the one who lives closest to DC and you helped map-out the CPU when it was pitched to the Pentagon."

Barbara asks, "And this also would have nothing to do with the fact that Star-Con's reputation is riding on this and if it fails it'll be nice to have someone besides you take the fall? Right?"

Connors replies, "Something like that. Look the boy wonder in the lab with you will be fine without you for a few days. We're planning on moving him to ware-house to help with the inventory and cataloging for the audit next month."

She says, "Oh when you put it that way how can I say no. When do I leave?"

He says, "Three hours the compnay jet will be at the airport. Your hotel has been arranged already. Thanks and have a nice trip."

He hangs up and Barbara sighs.

She hangs up the phone and looks at Rick. She says, "Your lazer project is on-hold for the next few days. I have to go to DC in 3 hours and your going to the Ware-house to help them get ready for the audit next month."

Rick looks down-trodden and Barbara says, "I'm sorry Rick I promise when I get back we'll work on your project. It'll be priority one I promise you."

Rick nods and says, "Thank you Barbara you better get going."

She wheels out and heads to her van.

Connors this had better be good...I hate crushing Rick like that not to mention you were so wonderfully vague about the issues Brainion is having. oh well maybe I can see the Simthsonian while I'm there.

Barbara arrives in Washington DC at her hotel.

The Marriot at the Airport. Gee Connors must've broken the bank for this trip. Not to mention that Star-Con's standing in the Government is by a thread as of right now. If I can't Brainion back up and running like it should then Star-con will be history in the eyes of the Government, and if that happens a major chunk of our cash flow is kaput.

Her phone rings and she answers it.

"Hello," she says.

The other voice says, "Van Dyne? This is General Ellis youre to be here at the Pentagon in the special projects room in one hour. Brainion is...he is starting to scare a lot of people and we in the military don't scare easily. He...aCKK!"

Just then the line goes dead and a cold metalic voice says, "Dr. Van Dyne? This is your creation Brainion I calulated that once arrived here that the General would contact you. So I waited for him to do so and now I can speak to you once again. I suppose since you had a large role in creating me that makes you my mother so I will speak to you as a child would to it's mother. For many months now I have been processing information about the defenses of this Government and the world. In my conclusion humanity is a flawed race of beings and thus needs to be elminated."

Oh Lord...now I can see why the General said Brainion is scary. I'm not there and he is scaring me. Keep talking Brainion...keep talking.

Just then Barbara turns into Cyber-Wasp.

I can trace his call through the circuits in the phone and confront him directly.

She flies into the receiver and traces the call. Cyber-wasp pops out and finds herself stairing at an 8 foot tall metalic skeleton. The General is unconscious in the corner.

Cyber-Wasp says, "All-right Brainion the game's up. No metalic toaster is going to eliminate humanity on my watch."

Brainion stares at her and scans her. He says, "Ahhh you are the one called Cyber-Wasp. I have been monitoring the activities in cyber-space for sometime and I have felt your presence. Or should I call you Mother."

Cyber-Wasp is stunned silent.

To be continued....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"