The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 6

I don't know how Spidey can go into recovery mode at this point.

It really makes me sad that TASM 2 didn't make at least 800 million.

Last edited:
It did, WW. It'll probably reach $705 WW with a $202 domestic.

A good TASM2 would have probably.

what is that exactly?
By making a series of really good movies. While X-Men: First Class and the Wolverine didn't make as much as its predecessors domestically, the improved quality of those allowed for X-Men: Days of Future Past to revitalize the franchise financially.

Sony needs to pause, sit down, and think of making a good Spider-Man movie first and foremost, not a me-too universe building film franchise.

Yeah that may work if this was TASM3, but too many things are on screen now that they have to connect to. And Spider-Man can't do what X-Men does with it's abundance of characters.

The only idea I can think of that will make TASM3 something of an event movie is if the villains are the sinister six which includes Goblin, Ock, Lizard, Kraven, Black Cat, Venom, with Venom and Black Cat separating from s6 in the 3rd act and helping out Spidey.

If they also introduce MJ and JJJ, these characters could bring in a lot of hype.

This frNchise still has a chance. They've got a great Spidey in Garfield.

Does Spidey have any robotic villains? With the success of the Sentinel laden DOFP, the assumed success of Age of Ultron, not to mention the Transformers phenomenon, Sony might want to follow the leader again and have Spidey battle a megabot. Perhaps a Kaiju threatens New York.

Does Spidey have any robotic villains? With the success of the Sentinel laden DOFP, the assumed success of Age of Ultron, not to mention the Transformers phenomenon, Sony might want to follow the leader again and have Spidey battle a megabot. Perhaps a Kaiju threatens New York.
They have the spider slayers

By making a series of really good movies. While X-Men: First Class and the Wolverine didn't make as much as its predecessors domestically, the improved quality of those allowed for X-Men: Days of Future Past to revitalize the franchise financially.

Sony needs to pause, sit down, and think of making a good Spider-Man movie first and foremost, not a me-too universe building film franchise.

so is TASM 3 still out in 2016?

Looks like Spider-man 2 will just crawl over the $200 million mark domestically. I think there is plenty of good will for the character, but Webb does not appear to possess the directing skills to get our hero over this slump. Right now Spidey is stuck in a very predictable, "Chase a girl, beat a baddie" type of story format. If Sony wants to regain big profitability, they need both a script writer and director that can expand his world and bring in more characters from the Marvel universe that are developed properly. But I fear if Sony is too afraid to make changes at the director's chair because they need to save face and finish a trilogy with Webb, they will find even fewer returns on the next installment. They need to stop the bleeding NOW.

Hopefully Sony just sells Spidey and we can all cross our fingers that Marvel reboots him in time for the third Avengers movie...

Looks like Spider-man 2 will just crawl over the $200 million mark domestically. I think there is plenty of good will for the character, but Webb does not appear to possess the directing skills to get our hero over this slump. Right now Spidey is stuck in a very predictable, "Chase a girl, beat a baddie" type of story format. If Sony wants to regain big profitability, they need both a script writer and director that can expand his world and bring in more characters from the Marvel universe that are developed properly. But I fear if Sony is too afraid to make changes at the director's chair because they need to save face and finish a trilogy with Webb, they will find even fewer returns on the next installment. They need to stop the bleeding NOW.

Most of the faults don't come from Webb but with Sony. In fact we already know they messed up both raimi and webb's film. And believe it or not if the first and second movies were left alone they would've provided some great experiences and would've been alot better than the avengers and WS

Hopefully Sony just sells Spidey and we can all cross our fingers that Marvel reboots him in time for the third Avengers movie...

I would love to see andrew garfield make some appearances for a while before someone like Dylan obrian replaces him.

As for the avengers I really don't want him to work with shield since it is known that him, the avengers, x-men, and F4 have some certain love/hate relationship. That and I don't and never will be interested in him on the avengers I don't believe you should be either. Instead of him being part of the avengers we should be more interested in him interacting with other characters and even if he is an avengers they'll probably pull a malkeith where Peter/spiderman makes an appearance but only fights in the background and have most of his scenes cut only for the first film in the avengers

BoxOffice @BoxOffice · 55 s
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 surpassed the $200M domestic mark after grossing an estimated $320,000 this weekend. #AmazingSpiderMan2

At long last it finally did it.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $200,183,000 28.4%
+ Foreign: $503,481,064 71.6%
= Worldwide: $703,664,064

The movie has now been surpassed domestically by Maleficent (Domestic: $201,871,000).

Poor Spidey... It freaking claaaaawed it's way to that $200 million.

TASM finished 7th. Right now TASM2 is 5th. Godzilla won't overtake it. I'd say T4 overtakes it this Summer. Not sure about the next PotA.

Just looking at the July movies, that month was ripe for a box office hit. Godzilla or even TASM2 may have done a little better being moved there.

Then for the rest of the year obviously Hunger Games and the Hobbit so TASM2 will probably finish 8th at best this year.

It finally hit 200mil on the same weekend Maleficent did and that did 8mil this weekend. I say this is the last Spidey movie to hit 200mil for a while.

TASM finished 7th. Right now TASM2 is 5th. Godzilla won't overtake it. I'd say T4 overtakes it this Summer. Not sure about the next PotA.

Just looking at the July movies, that month was ripe for a box office hit. Godzilla or even TASM2 may have done a little better being moved there.

Then for the rest of the year obviously Hunger Games and the Hobbit so TASM2 will probably finish 8th at best this year.

You can safely add Interstellar as well. If it doesn't make more than 200M it would be the lowest grossing Nolan film since The Prestige (2009) and with a reported production budget above Inception's 160M, I'd say unless it ends up really below expectations 200M+ is a lock. So yeah 9th at best. ;)
Now it's really a shame HTTYD2 didn't quite catch up with audiences but I don't see it making 200M+ anymore.
There just need to be a couple of surprise hits (DOTPOTA, GOTG or even Disney's Big Hero 6) to put TASM2 out of the yearly top 10. If think DOTPOTA is the safest bet here. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes made 176M back in 2011 so 200M+ for the sequel is not much of a stretch. The new movie seems to get a lot of hype, early reviews are excellent and it won't face a lot of competition.

Yeah, if Guardians of the Galaxy is like 70% RT or less, I put it at $165 million. I'm hoping it's much, much better and with decent word of mouth I think it's possible to reach $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"