The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I think this has a more family friendly vibe than the Lizard in the first movie.

That should add an ample sum.

Better costume too.

this. although i think tasm1 looks more like a 150 million dollar movie than a 200 dollar movie. iron man 3 had 200 million behind it and imo there is no comparison in terms of the "scale" or whatever you want to call it (also, surely the actors were paid more). man of steel is less than 200 million yet also looks like a much "bigger" film than tasm1.

that's why tasm2 better seriously ramp it up. if i go to see a 230 plus million dollar action film, i expect a certain level of wow factor. so far, the amount of cop cars in the truck chase scene is a positive indicator that they are translating their massive budget to the screen appropriately.

MAN of steel was made for 225 million man.

Also I think this has a more family friendly vibe than the Lizard in the first movie.

That should add an ample sum.

Better costume too.

Well if Gwen dies in the sequel, let's hope more "family friendly" goes out the window for the sake of telling the journey in a more impactful way. Otherwise I don't see how they can do it effectively. It's all about the tonal shifts for me. We don't want to feel like we're in a pinball machine, which Raimi's films felt like at times. Webb handled it much better but still not with the deft touch and nuance that I would have liked.

I'm expecting more box office, but not much more. I voted 850 m a couple of months ago and I don't see that changing up to the release. This won't be the Spidey franchise that puts the character into the stratosphere imo. Based on the first films performance and overall indifferent reception, I think 850 m is the cap.

The costume looks great, there are more villians and action, and I'm sure Mindel's 35 mm anamorphic images will just pop off the screen (and flare at times). So I have no doubt the scale/epicness of the film will feel bigger this time. Let hope the film will be good (at least).

I voted for 1.5 billion just for the lulz. It will make close to what TASM 1 did. 700-800 million.

probably 900 million WW. I think we could see 1 Billion as TASM2 has a much better release date than the first

I voted for 1.5 billion just for the lulz. It will make close to what TASM 1 did. 700-800 million.

probably 900 million WW. I think we could see 1 Billion as TASM2 has a much better release date than the first

Haha yeah I voted 900 mil but I'm putting my expectations more low. Maybe just around as it made last time. Maybe a bit more. 780 ish.

I guess it will make about as much as the first one.

Did BB only make like 450 million WW and then TDK made around 1 billion?

How do people think the film do after seeing the epic footage? I think it'll do a lot better than the first. Around $950 million!

I voted for $900m as well when I first made the thread. I'd drop that to $800m now.

You don't like the footage now? Or did it lower your expectations?

If they show some of the footage in a trailer then it will definitely attract people. I say it makes between $850-$950 million. It certainly helps that it doesn't have to compete against Robert Downey Jr. and The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises. And I seriously doubt as many people will want to see Godzilla or DOFP. Also, it has a pretty strong cast. People are gonna wanna see Andrew, Emma, Field, Dehaan, Foxx, and Giamatti. If they really wanna make this movie huge then they should make a Super Bowl trailer.

You don't like the footage now? Or did it lower your expectations?
No I like the footage. I just realized my expectations were probably a tad high. I was still riding high off of how great Avengers, TDKR, Skyfall, and IM3 did and forgot how hard it is for a film to really hit that hard. TASM2 has a chance, but it has to be really ravely reviewed to get to that $900m mark and critics have been harsh this summer. I predicted MoS would hit $900m and it's only made $630m, so $900m may be expecting too much for a franchise as old as Spider-Man. Like I said, it could do it, it just has to be really well received and I'm not sure it can do that with standards these days.

this movie looks like a 200 plus million dollar production, unlike tasm1, which i can't believe cost as much as it did.

they seem to be doing the right things this time around. 900 million is probably achievable methinks.

Seemed an appropriate time to make this...right before Iron Man takes Spidey's throne as Marvel's #1 highest grossing solo character at the movies. :oldrazz:
It always seems like you have to prove Spider-Man really isn't #1... as if you have some personal vendetta against him. You posted a few long messages about how Spider-Man is just a niche franchise, you just keep saying how TASM2 isn't as interesting as DOFP or CA: TWS (as if it were a fact), and now this. What's gives?

No I like the footage. I just realized my expectations were probably a tad high. I was still riding high off of how great Avengers, TDKR, Skyfall, and IM3 did and forgot how hard it is for a film to really hit that hard. TASM2 has a chance, but it has to be really ravely reviewed to get to that $900m mark and critics have been harsh this summer. I predicted MoS would hit $900m and it's only made $630m, so $900m may be expecting too much for a franchise as old as Spider-Man. Like I said, it could do it, it just has to be really well received and I'm not sure it can do that with standards these days.

That's all about marketing. Iron Man 3 though did well since it was a follow-up to the Avengers, otherwise the trailers didn't get me pumped. So, no, its not all about how well received the film is. Some of the highest grossing films are really poorly received, and are some of the highest grossing films of all time: Transformers, Twilight, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

$900m too much for a franchise as old as Spider-Man? Spidey is the Marvel flagship character, he is too iconic. As long as there is Marvel, there will always be Spider-Man. If anything, this series wouldn't do as well because people still miss Tobey Maguire and the original cast. Despite getting the origin story overwith, there are still audiences saying, "It's too soon!" But otherwise, if TASM made over $750 million considering how much it had going against it, it proves that people still love Spider-Man. The sequel will most likely make more than its predecessor, which is not too far away from the billion dollar mark.

You can't possibly compare Spider-Man to Man of Steel.

Around 800-900M will be great

Though its has a great chance to do a billion

It always seems like you have to prove Spider-Man really isn't #1... as if you have some personal vendetta against him. You posted a few long messages about how Spider-Man is just a niche franchise, you just keep saying how TASM2 isn't as interesting as DOFP or CA: TWS (as if it were a fact), and now this. What's gives?
What?? :huh:

When did I ever say Spider-Man was a "niche" franchise? That doesn't even make any sense. Don't start making **** up just because I don't think Spider-Man is the best movie franchise ever. He's my favorite character, that doesn't mean I have to suck off to his movies. As for proving Spider-Man isn't number 1...LOL. You're sensitive or something mate. That was a sarcastic comment because IM3 was going to hit over a billion, Spidey is still Marvel's number 1 character and always will be.

That's all about marketing
It has a lot more factors than just marketing. I never said it was ONLY about how well received the film was.

Anyway, I'm not about to get into a debate with you over my box office predictions just because you're sensitive about someone not thinking Spider-Man movies are the best **** ever.

Last edited:
Dollar for dollar, isn't Raimi's Spider-Man franchise still ahead of any other superhero franchise? His 3 films vs Nolan's 3 Batman films and RDJ's 3 Iron Man films.

What?? :huh:

When did I ever say Spider-Man was a "niche" franchise? That doesn't even make any sense. Don't start making **** up just because I don't think Spider-Man is the best movie franchise ever. He's my favorite character, that doesn't mean I have to suck off to his movies. As for proving Spider-Man isn't number 1...LOL. You're sensitive or something mate. That was a sarcastic comment because IM3 was going to hit over a billion, Spidey is still Marvel's number 1 character and always will be.

That was my bad, mate, it was Mr. M who wrote about Spider-Man being a niche franchise. I wasn't "making **** up."

Anyway, I'm not about to get into a debate with you over my box office predictions just because you're sensitive about someone not thinking Spider-Man movies are the best **** ever.

I am not sensitive about someone not thinking Spider-Man movies are the best, I couldn't care less.

Dollar for dollar, isn't Raimi's Spider-Man franchise still ahead of any other superhero franchise? His 3 films vs Nolan's 3 Batman films and RDJ's 3 Iron Man films.

Yeah but I think Nolan's trilogy was produced with a lesser budget

I don't consider that relevant. Raimi's trilogy made more than Nolan's. That's that, if you adjust inflation the numbers sway even more in Raimi's favor.

I don't consider that relevant. Raimi's trilogy made more than Nolan's. That's that, if you adjust inflation the numbers sway even more in Raimi's favor.
The budget does not reflect how many people paid to see the film in theaters.

Avengers was bigger than any Spider-man movie.

Even without 3D or inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"