The Atheist Page

Daisy said:
!Newsflash!

Moderators are human. They have personal opinions and are allowed to express them. Their patience has limits. They don't like everyone, nor do they have to. They are not required to be paragons of virtue.

What is required is that in the performance of their duties, they can recognize and put aside their bias, and then act accordingly.

Were I to discipline anyone in this thread (which has not been warrranted) I would do just that.

i guess foolishly hold mods to a higher standard. my apologies.

Daisy said:
Yes, I do.

And don't worry about banning... people have said far worse to me with no negative consequences. :)

I thought I was being quite charming . . . and fresh, oh so fresh :)

Daisy said:
Who do you think is coming in and bashing the Christians? :confused:

Don't you find it interesting that atheists can't take it when they're 'bashed' any better than Christains can? Yet, whenever there is Christain-bashing... the bashers assert that they were just 'expressing their opinion' and that if Christians were so strong in their belief that they should be able to take it?

And what happens when something like that happens (Christian bashing in a thread)....i.e. the "Calling All Christians" thread. At least one person got put on probation and a veritable stern talking to from a mod about bashing other people's beliefs. The thread is now gone. I guess it's OK now though...since the Athiest's did it first...they had it coming. :rolleyes: No double standards there.

I'm not endorsing the bashing of anyone's beliefs...it's wrong in both sense.

sinewave said:
i guess foolishly hold mods to a higher standard. my apologies.
There is a standard...under the table, in an envelope, with denominations no smaller than a 20 ;)

Addendum said:
I'm atheist for the simple fact that I have no reason to believe in any god-claim, since I've yet to hear a convincing argument for having a belief in one

:up: :up:
I was raised in a Catholic family . . . we're pretty much open to the major catholic, christian religions . . . you know, Jesus . . . since I was never held strictly to specific religious practices, I started to question organized religion altogether . . . I feel that you shouldn't have to practice a specific religion to have a relationship with 'GOD' . . . . but I do believe in a higher power . . . . I guess I would prefer Buddhism over anything, but try to emulate a relationship with a higher power in the things I do morally . . .

I guess I believe in Karma is the point . . .

huskerwebhead said:
And what happens when something like that happens (Christian bashing in a thread)....i.e. the "Calling All Christians" thread. At least one person got put on probation and a veritable stern talking to from a mod about bashing other people's beliefs. The thread is now gone. I guess it's OK now though...since the Athiest's did it first...they had it coming. :rolleyes: No double standards there.

I'm not endorsing the bashing of anyone's beliefs...it's wrong in both sense.

You know perfectly well this has been going on a long time on the Hype! Who the hell knows who 'did it first'?

Further, when you see me putting people on probation and sternly warning people for bashing Christians (generally - specifically targeting an individual poster for ridicule because of his or her beliefs is a different story), then you can accuse me of a double-standard.

Addendum said:
There is a standard...under the table, in an envelope, with denominations no smaller than a 20 ;)

$20!!!:mad: You mean $50. :)

Inflation you know... just look at gas prices. ;)

Addendum said:

or i guess you can suck up to them so they'll take your side. because you wouldn't want them to, say, accuse you of doing something you didn't do, threaten to ban you for proving them wrong and then not apologize to you when they realize they were wrong in the first place. hypothetically speaking, of course. ;)

DV8 said:
:up: :up:
I was raised in a Catholic family . . . we're pretty much open to the major catholic, christian religions . . . you know, Jesus . . . since I was never held strictly to specific religious practices, I started to question organized religion altogether . . . I feel that you shouldn't have to practice a specific religion to have a relationship with 'GOD' . . . . but I do believe in a higher power . . . . I guess I would prefer Buddhism over anything, but try to emulate a relationship with a higher power in the things I do morally . . .

I guess I believe in Karma is the point . . .

My creed:

1) The single greatest rule is to be kind to one another.
2) We should be good stewards of the planet, for no other reason than we owe it to the future generations of our species, even though some of us have no desire to procreate.
3) Always strive for honesty, integrity and a good work ethic.
4) That little thing called the "fruits of the spirit" isn't such a bad thing, when you look at it.
5) Always take responsibility for your actions.

It's not written by some guy whose been dead for 2,000 years. It's not well structured or written with loads of poetic tools. It's just simple common sense practices that some cynic thinks could make this place a little bit better.

The only thing it lacks is a deity that has to be worshipped.

I find those 5 sentences to be more important than where you direct your prayers to. If that makes some deity slighted because I didn't believe in it, then what kind of a deity is that

You mean agnostic? being atheist is just as dumb as being religious.

Look I officaly apologize about the God=BS comment i guess it was out of line but I am not bashing Christianity

Daisy said:
You know perfectly well this has been going on a long time on the Hype! Who the hell knows who 'did it first'?

Further, when you see me putting people on probation and sternly warning people for bashing Christians (generally - specifically targeting an individual poster for ridicule because of his or her beliefs is a different story), then you can accuse me of a double-standard.

I was not accusing YOU specifically, just the system. Sorry if I came across that way. I never denied it's been going on for awhile, and yes, Christians take the brunt of it. But if this is an official standing of the hype...then it should be enforced regardless of the religion/belief that's under attack.

In any case, I don't mean to argue. Sorry if I was out of line.

Addendum said:
My creed:

2) We should be good stewards of the planet, for no other reason than we owe it to the future generations of our species, even though some of us have no desire to procreate.
4) That little thing called the "fruits of the spirit" isn't such a bad thing, when you look at it.

It's not written by some guy whose been dead for 2,000 years. It's not well structured or written with loads of poetic tools. It's just simple common sense practices that some cynic thinks could make this place a little bit better.

I find those 5 sentences to be more important than where you direct your prayers to. If that makes some deity slighted because I didn't believe in it, then what kind of a deity is that

i couldn't have said it better myself. if there's one thing i'm sick of it's the stigma that if you don't believe in god you have no morals. i like to think of myself as a good, honest person who genuinely cares about the welfare of others, unlike many so-called good, god-fearing people of faith.

Liquid Snake said:

Agnostic people dont believe in any religion but they are also afraid that there is a God so people say there Agnostic in order to save there selves from "Heck"

Religion has been used for a long time as a way to control the public. For instance British kings say I am your leader. Then the peasent says why are u our leader. The King simply responds God made me King you ignorant peasent. He will kill you

Liquid Snake said:

that's a pretty rude and ignorant statement. i'm disappointed in you. :(

giggs11uk said:
Agnostic people dont believe in any religion but they are also afraid that there is a God so people say there Agnostic in order to save there selves from "Heck"

Uh, not so much. Generally, people who are Agnostic believe in some higher being but don't subscribe to any organized religion or that religion's beliefs.

huskerwebhead said:
I was not accusing YOU specifically, just the system. Sorry if I came across that way. I never denied it's been going on for awhile, and yes, Christians take the brunt of it. But if this is an official standing of the hype...then it should be enforced regardless of the religion/belief that's under attack.

In any case, I don't mean to argue. Sorry if I was out of line.

It did come across that way since I'm the mod that's in here and not closing this one.

Each mod uses their individual judgement for when things 'cross-the-line' or get out of hand. From my point-of-view, I didn't see anyone getting particularly personal. There were some jokes and little jabs, but I didn't see anything I consider 'flaming', except for the initial thread title, which I removed and also tried to get the thread-starter to understand how it was inflamatory. I also thought cass was taking it too far and personally going after the thread-starter, so I told him to back down.

You're more than welcome to argue. I don't have a problem with people questioning things as long as they can keep it relatively civil, and I don't think you weren't out of line (I would have said so if I did. ;)).

Addendum said:
My creed:

See, the thing is... I believe in those same things, but I believe in a god. I don't think it has to be worshiped, but I think it's a nice thing to recognize that which endowed us all that we have.

My problem is exactly what Lackey made reference to. Atheists who think themselves superior in intelligence... well, actually pretty much all things... because they've "abandoned the need to believe in a 'fairy tale'" or something like that. Who assert that people who believe are naive or stupid... and liken believing in a deity to beliving in say... "the giant spaghetti monster in the sky".

huskerwebhead said:
Uh, not so much. Generally, people who are Agnostic believe in some higher being but don't subscribe to any organized religion or that religion's beliefs.

Sorry i just got angry because of what was said about both Atheist and Religous people I apologize.

Daisy said:
It did come across that way since I'm the mod that's in here and not closing this one.

Each mod uses their individual judgement for when things 'cross-the-line' or get out of hand. From my point-of-view, I didn't see anyone getting particularly personal. There were some jokes and little jabs, but I didn't see anything I consider 'flaming', except for the initial thread title, which I removed and also tried to get the thread-starter to understand how it was inflamatory. I also thought cass was taking it too far and personally going after the thread-starter, so I told him to back down.

You're more than welcome to argue. I don't have a problem with people questioning things as long as they can keep it relatively civil, and I don't think you weren't out of line (I would have said so if I did. ;)).

Works for me. :) Thanks for the clarification.

sinewave said:
that's a pretty rude and ignorant statement. i'm disappointed in you. :(
I don't agree because one is saying that there is a God, and there's no way that you can prove that, the other is saying that there is no God, and there's no way you can prove that, so Agnosticism seems to be the smartest way to go, you don't have to build your life around an assertion that may or may not be true. Agnostics are in fact the only ones that we know are right.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I don't agree because one is saying that there is a God, and there's no way that you can prove that, the other is saying that there is no God, and there's no way you can prove that, so Agnosticism seems to be the smartest way to go, you don't have to build your life around an assertion that may or may not be true. Agnostics are in fact the only ones that we know are right.

Leave it to you. :D

huskerwebhead said:
Works for me. :) Thanks for the clarification.

Good. :)

I'm please to see this thread becoming productive. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"