The Avengers The Avengers Post Screening Review & Discussion Thread (SPOILER FILLED) - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the tv-thing is in relation to the size ratio? I know one of the first things I wife leaned over to ask me is why they weren't playing the movie in widescreen. But it's completely forgotten about within the first minute. BTW something I haven't heard anyone comment about -
Loki was brutal in his first appearance. The way he took out those agents was very well done. I liked how the bullets bounced off him and the way he fought. They made him out to be a very vicious fighter.

Loki looked really nuts at points hey, full crazy eyes with bags around them:wow:

Weird, seen it yesterday and dont remember it like that.

Not so much. It is amazing to think of the time one anticipates such events and to realize it is over. Can't wait to get there, and then you are wondering what is next.

You don't have to. IM3 is right around the corner with T2 not far behind.
The beauty of the MCU: the hype never stops

Thanks for the heads up:yay:, but IM3 and T2 are still so far away.

Til that I will look forward to the DVD release and there are TDKR (ducking) and the Hobbit...

Maybe the tv-thing is in relation to the size ratio? I know one of the first things I wife leaned over to ask me is why they weren't playing the movie in widescreen. But it's completely forgotten about within the first minute. BTW something I haven't heard anyone comment about -
Loki was brutal in his first appearance. The way he took out those agents was very well done. I liked how the bullets bounced off him and the way he fought. They made him out to be a very vicious fighter.

Yessssssss!!!
Niceeeee, I was hoping Loki or Thor would be shown as being invulnerable to bullets. :woot:

There were a number of Eeeewwwws in my cinema when Loki performed his eyeball extraction for Hawkeye. He meant business.

Thanks for the heads up:yay:, but IM3 and T2 are still so far away.

Til that I will look forward to the DVD release and there are TDKR (ducking) and the Hobbit...
And if you haven't seen Iron Sky already, you can always watch that until TDKR comes out :word:

There were a number of Eeeewwwws in my cinema when Loki performed his eyeball extraction for Hawkeye. He meant business.

Just that weird smile he gave while he was doing it! Totally insane :D

I didn't like Loki in Thor. He was ineffective and wimpy....In The Avengers, however, he was pure badass villain.

From that very first close up of him looking up and smiling then brutalising the SHIELD agents. Well done, Joss and Tom.

I didn't like Loki in Thor. He was ineffective and wimpy....In The Avengers, however, he was pure badass villain.

From that very first close up of him looking up and smiling then brutalising the SHIELD agents. Well done, Joss and Tom.

Well to be fair, he was having an Identity Crisis :p

He killed his brother (Thor), his father, several frost giants, froze Heimdall solid, almost destroyed an entire planet, and went toe to toe with Thor.

I don't think "ineffective" and "wimpy" are the best terms to describe him.

Just in regards to the Hulk/Banner line, if you think about it through the lense of The Incredible Hulk movie (which is obviously still in continuity) then it clarifies and retroactively improves what was going on with Banner in that movie...particularly the last two shots (Banner doing his meditative thing, then opening his his now green eyes and smiling.)

My impression, watching the TIH movie initially, was that the instructor (who performs the breathing excercises with him and slaps him etc.) was showing him how to take punishment and someone antagnoising you, stress etc. in a calm and collected manner, controlling his rage..."how to stay Zen" if you like. What The Avengers has done with all that and the last shot, is just like you all have been saying. He learned how to control a certain level of anger, how to STAY in touch with it...the smiling and green eyes were the beginning of his first controlled transformation (Like in Avengers, right after the big line he turns and transforms seemingly at his own will to stop the thing from hitting them).

Excellent work, Joss.

He killed his brother (Thor), his father, several frost giants, froze Heimdall solid, almost destroyed an entire planet, and went toe to toe with Thor.

I don't think "ineffective" and "wimpy" are the best terms to describe him.

He controlled the big silver thing to kill Thor, and was beaten. He didn't kill his father at all, Odin went into some hibernation thing. He did indeed freeze Heimdell...but who cares? He broke out. Probably should've shattered him or something. And all through out the movie, he was whining. He was written and portrayed insecure and affeminate, which I understand was fine for the emotional stuff the character was going through, but didn't help his cause as a 'badass' villain.

He was indeed a 'badass villain in The Avengers, though. It was like he'd been around the universe, seen some *****, and grown up. Hopefully THAT'S the Loki they bring back in Thor 2.

Last edited:
He controlled the big silver thing to kill Thor, and was beaten. He didn't kill his father at all, Odin went into some hibernation thing. He did indeed freeze Heimdell...but who cares? He broke out. Probably should've shattered him or something. And all through out the movie, he was whining. He was written and portrayed insecure and affeminate, which I understand was fine for the emotional stuff the character was going through, but didn't help his cause as a 'badass' villain.

He was indeed a 'badass villain in The Avengers, though. It was like he'd been around the universe, seen some ****, and grown up. Hopefully THAT'S the Loki they bring back in Thor 2.

It doesn't matter he was badass enough to actually carry out "killing" his brother and he did kill his father Laufey since it was explained that Odin is NOT Loki's father.

I wouldn't call what he was doing "whining" since he had just found out that he's adopted and he's been battling his true lineage for centuries.

Thor was dead for just a few seconds. It didn't matter what-so-ever. If he had done it personally, then maybe it would've made an impact. But there wasn't anything bad ass about sitting in a throne on another world and telling a giant robot to do it.

I'd completely forgotten about the Laufey character, but now that you've reminded me...I still don't really care. He was a nothing character. Nothing was shown in that movie to make me think Laufey was so tough, the character that takes him out would have to be pretty awesome. And Loki had no relationship with him, a part from the sworn enemy of Asgard. It's not too big a thing.

Yes, I can understand being upset and angry at the news Odin gave him...but the way it was portrayed could've been better. He went to crybaby too quick. It should have been a quieter, resolute anger...closer to a Marcus Aurelius (SP? I'm tired.) All his thoughts and feelings had just been confirmed, about Odin treating he and Thor differently, and now he knew why. But instead he screamed and cried and whined.

Ive had a day to think about it now after seeing it and (huge spoilers)

I REALLY dug the vibe of the aliens, especially the general or whoever he was. Loved the vibe of the 'space castle' or whatever that was with all the glowing blue, and I had my breath literally taken away with the Mothership reveal after IM goes through the portal. They were really in the **** if that portal wasn't closed! So goddamn cool!!

Cap was awesome, barking orders and kicking the crap out of aliens. I likes how he knew he isn't on the same level as the IM, Thor and Hulk but he took control of the situation and led the team.

HULK was great. I would have maybe liked a few more lines but his scenes were some of the best for sure. The Loki fight will go down as an all time classic moment!

RDJ was awesome as always. Thor was great now he has matured after the first movie. Hawkeye was great to, total badass.

I was really impressed and in love with Scarlett. So cool. All the action scenes were great as well and not as 'posey' as IM2. She had a heap of dialogue, and I loved how she was trying to make up for her horrible past that was alluded to. I would love to see a solo movie :hrt:

Coulson with his collectors cards. Pepper in cut off denim. SJ giving lip to the council. Loki vs the old man. So many great moments.

I can't think of a single flaw. It was a really weird feeling when I was about 2 minutes into it, like "holy crap, this is it... I am really watching The Avengers."

Very happy right now and can't wait to see it again.:woot:

Thor was dead for just a few seconds. It didn't matter what-so-ever. If he had done it personally, then maybe it would've made an impact. But there wasn't anything bad ass about sitting in a throne on another world and telling a giant robot to do it.

I'd completely forgotten about the Laufey character, but now that you've reminded me...I still don't really care. He was a nothing character. Nothing was shown in that movie to make me think Laufey was so tough, the character that takes him out would have to be pretty awesome. And Loki had no relationship with him, a part from the sworn enemy of Asgard. It's not too big a thing.

Yes, I can understand being upset and angry at the news Odin gave him...but the way it was portrayed could've been better. He went to crybaby too quick. It should have been a quieter, resolute anger...closer to a Marcus Aurelius (SP? I'm tired.) All his thoughts and feelings had just been confirmed, about Odin treating he and Thor differently, and now he knew why. But instead he screamed and cried and whined.

Killing your brother is still killing your brother and who are you to say how one is suppose to react finding out everything they know is a lie?

Killing your brother is still killing your brother and who are you to say how one is suppose to react finding out everything they know is a lie?

...You realize we're talking about make believe people, right? I wouldn't walk up to to hitman and say "Your boss was a p*ssy for not doing it himself" and I wouldn't walk up to someone who was emotional about something like this and say "Grow a sack".

We're talking about a film. Everything you do in a film is to further your characters and your story. Loki ordering the robot to kill Thor furthered the plot, and it got a point about his character across, sure. But for the sake of audience connection, and between the CHARACTERS themselves (Not just from a film pov, but from THEIR pov) it would have been far more visceral and impactful had it been done by Loki's own hand. Even it was a cheap shot. Just as long as it was HIM doing it. Looking into his eyes as he does, Thor betrayed and bewildered, no possible redemption for Loki. Picture it like Commodus and Maximus right before their final stand-off. Instead, the robot does it.

Had he not cried and screamed in a particularly temper tantrum inflicted teenage girl way when Odin told him the truth, if he had reacted in a stronger more powerful rage-filled heat, that would've made him seem more powerful, more of a threat (I now know Tom H is capable of something like that, having seen Avengers.) Instead he cries and whines and Odin collapses and that's that. 'Kay. Cool.

Last edited:
I need to geek out about this film to someone who's seen it, but no one seems to be around. :o

Back to the Loki argument again....sigh.

The Iron Man vs Thor or Thor vs. Hulk argument will be starting in three, two, o-

What did I miss? What are people arguing about in those fights?
Well people who haven't seen the movie have been telling people who have seen the movie that Iron Man is as strong as Thor :hehe:

So I saw The Avengers last night, and it was insane, awesome, and everything you hoped it will be and more. I feel sorry for North American audiences that have to wait until next week, but the wait is definitely worth it. Definitely see it in IMAX or even IMAX Digital (which is how I saw it, the Digital one), as it looked and sounded fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"