Batman Begins 'The Batman' Screenplay by Tom Mankiewicz

yes the mank did do a rewrite and it didnt have much or any camp at all

same with the superman and superman 2

if you watch superman and superman 2 donner cut back to back now, you will see little if any camp at all, Richard donner didnt even properly finish part 2 nor part 1, he was actually forced to finish part 1 earlier because of the salkinds. Had he had more time, both movies would have been near on perfect. screw them salkinds!

i think makiewicz script would have been fine and would have been the best.

I read it, or quite a bit of it, and I like the idea of it. I've kicked around a Batman script in my head for years now, and it's structured similarly, but not to the same result.

What I liked was the structure of it. They did the origin as an origin, not to set up some villain or conflict for the third act (something that really is unnecessary). I also liked the fact that [David] Gordon was an actual character, and that Batman waged a war on organized crime. I also found their depiction of the Joker very true to a certain version of him in the comics.

What I didn't like was that Bruce Wayne came off a lot more like Tony Stark or that Virgin Airlines mogul. He didn't seem to be on some solemn mission, following some path to becoming a dark avenger, he seemed like a thrill seeker, chasing tail and having funtastic adventures. For Bruce it's not an adventure, it's a mission, and it makes him stand off-ish and eccentric. Not the charming kind either. I felt like the sexploits he engaged in too were forced.

I actually disagree with the way Batman Begins handled his training, making him into a wandering, lost, then found soul. I disagree with this just as much. In this he does his training far to out in the open. Sure he seeks out experts, but in the comics he is much more discrete about it, and while he isn't a vagabond, he certainly treks out on his own.

Sorry to be a forum archaeologist, but I read the script a week or so ago, so I wanted to make some comments about it:

Positive:
  • Batman is a compelling, dark character in the script.
  • I thought that the twist of the murder of the Wayne as hit by Rupert Thorne was interesting.
  • I liked the scenes of Batman foiling small-scale crimes.
  • I thought the romance was interesting.
  • I like getting to see Batman's first night out. While it's not as good as the pier scene of BATMAN BEGINS, the subway scene is good.

Negative:
  • I really didn't feel Bruce's motivation during the training sequences. He just seems to be doing these things for the bad place of it, then it seems that it remembers it's about Batman and introduces his vow. I thought that BATMAN BEGINS did this better, as I thought it flows better in BB.
  • I thought that Bruce is a little too overpowered with superhuman intelligence, conquering everything under the sun.
  • Things like the hologram didn't make sense (How can a 10 year old in 1960 make a hologram, when holograms still don't exist 50 years later in 2010), the Batmobile's giant horse**** horseshoe magnet, etc..
  • I thought it was wierd that Batman is first described a violent transvestite. What the ****?
  • Penguin doesn't do anything.
  • The script needs a new climax, starting with Silver's kidnapping. I thought that the Joker's note was more befitting the Riddler, and the giant prop thing is taken too far. Also, Batman doesn't execute people, let alone impale them with giant thumbtacks into giant pencil sharpeners.

While it's not as good as BATMAN BEGINS, it's not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"