The Batman Spoiler Discussion Thread

Falcone is obviously playing Bruce. He’s telling him what he wants to hear. This is a man with zero emotion. Dead eyes, hidden by his tinted glasses. A complete sociopath, making his life and career out of manipulation and holding **** over their heads. If he can do what he did to Maroni, it should come as no surprise that he’d try to throw Salvatore under the bus for more. Including the death of the Wayne’s.

I’d like to see Liotta errr I mean Maroni come out of prison pissed off that he didn’t get a chance to kill Falcone himself. So he targets Carmine’s right hand instead: The Penguin.
That sounds tasty af. Maroni getting out of prision to declare a war on Penguin.

Reeves described the Penguin show as a Tony Montana/Scarface esque rise to the top.

i wonder if they will actually draw from the pacino movie, where tony montana was this violent, ruthless gangster but his one redeeming factor was he refused to kill women and children.

the deleted scene showed penguin was protective of selina and he was angry at falcone for being a "rat" which shows he still has some code.

i wonder if they will actually draw from the pacino movie, where tony montana was this violent, ruthless gangster but his one redeeming factor was he refused to kill women and children.

the deleted scene showed penguin was protective of selina and he was angry at falcone for being a "rat" which shows he still has some code.
I don't know if protective is the word but kind of seducing her into thinking he was caring for her so that she could feel more confident around him since I think his goal was just to make her his mistress or something like that.

Do you all think they are going to show us his personal life and past or are we just going to get gangster ****?

Do you all think they are going to show us his personal life and past or are we just going to get gangster ****?
Beyond maybe establishing his family was once rich in Gotham and fallen off which drove him to become criminal and later boss, I am not interested in Oz's personal life. Also that would be too much going Soprano, which is another HBO series. There is plenty you can do with Oz himself beyond making his sympathetic for his actions. I would rather go in different direction. To show his intelect, buisness managment side, maybe even becoming somewhat combatant (out fear from Batman) and creating his umbrella as signature weapon.

I would like them to introduce characters like Jay, Raven and Lark. Like I said depends what they wanna do. You cant do to much because Reeves or whoever decide to use maybe Penguin again you becoming restricted what you can do with character. And I dont trust WB to shuffle that well.

On the matter of "Whether Falcone was telling the truth". . .

My own take is that Falcone *probably* was telling at least most of the truth. Unless Falcone was remarkably incompetent, Thomas Wayne wouldn't have any actual evidence implicating Falcone, just his word against Falcone. . . and his confession would *absolutely* incriminate himself more than it would prove anything against Falcone. Gotham City was at least mostly as corrupt then as in the present, and Falcone was already the dominant crime boss, so from Falcone's perspective, an accusation without evidence wouldn't be an immediate existential threat. Why take the risk of assassinating the richest man in the city when you can probably make the problem disappear via bribes and corruption within the police and DA office?

Basically, it makes more sense given the situation that Maroni would take the risky as hell move of assassinating a billionaire, comparatively speaking. Which doesn't mean its impossible that Falcone arranged it, or even that it was a completely random act of meaningless street crime. Note that part of "at least most of the truth" includes the option that Falcone *knows* Maroni wasn't behind it, and blames him anyway because its easy and useful. Falcone may not have murdered the Waynes, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want to pull Bruce into his orbit if given the chance.

( Note that the one secret Falcone absolutely doesn't want getting out, and is willing to kill quickly to cover up, has nothing to do with the Waynes or murdering reporters or anything conventionally corrupt and criminal. It has to do with his secretly turning informant for the cops to eliminate his rival Maroni, which as demonstrated in the movie, is something which would destroy his own authority over the criminal underworld, no "beyond a reasonable doubt" needed. He's not afraid of being known as a murderous ruthless crime lord, or even as the secret ruler of the city; he's only afraid of his own subordinates viewing him as a traitor. )

On the matter of "Whether Falcone was telling the truth". . .

My own take is that Falcone *probably* was telling at least most of the truth. Unless Falcone was remarkably incompetent, Thomas Wayne wouldn't have any actual evidence implicating Falcone, just his word against Falcone. . . and his confession would *absolutely* incriminate himself more than it would prove anything against Falcone. Gotham City was at least mostly as corrupt then as in the present, and Falcone was already the dominant crime boss, so from Falcone's perspective, an accusation without evidence wouldn't be an immediate existential threat. Why take the risk of assassinating the richest man in the city when you can probably make the problem disappear via bribes and corruption within the police and DA office?

Basically, it makes more sense given the situation that Maroni would take the risky as hell move of assassinating a billionaire, comparatively speaking. Which doesn't mean its impossible that Falcone arranged it, or even that it was a completely random act of meaningless street crime. Note that part of "at least most of the truth" includes the option that Falcone *knows* Maroni wasn't behind it, and blames him anyway because its easy and useful. Falcone may not have murdered the Waynes, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want to pull Bruce into his orbit if given the chance.

( Note that the one secret Falcone absolutely doesn't want getting out, and is willing to kill quickly to cover up, has nothing to do with the Waynes or murdering reporters or anything conventionally corrupt and criminal. It has to do with his secretly turning informant for the cops to eliminate his rival Maroni, which as demonstrated in the movie, is something which would destroy his own authority over the criminal underworld, no "beyond a reasonable doubt" needed. He's not afraid of being known as a murderous ruthless crime lord, or even as the secret ruler of the city; he's only afraid of his own subordinates viewing him as a traitor. )

The Reporter was on Maronis pay roal apparently.

So Falcone killing him to help the Wayne's would also look like a betrayal to the criminal underworld.

So in theory he would have the motive to take out the Wayne's before that information got out.

But honestly the more I think about this subplot the more confusing it gets lol.

Why would Thomas go to a physcopatic mob boss of all people to stop the reporter ?

He's richest guy in the city couldn't he have just bribed the reporter to keep his mouth shut ?

So Falcone killing him to help the Wayne's would also look like a betrayal to the criminal underworld.

So in theory he would have the motive to take out the Wayne's before that information got out.

But honestly the more I think about this subplot the more confusing it gets lol.

Why would Thomas go to a physcopatic mob boss of all people to stop the reporter ?

He's richest guy in the city couldn't he have just bribed the reporter to keep his mouth shut ?

Eh, killing an agent of a rival is hardly a betrayal. That's just everyday crime lord business. Sometimes your minions get wacked. Its only beyond the pale to voluntarily collude with the police to get rivals arrested, all "no one loves a rat" style.

As for bribery, he tried that. It didn't work, because the reporter was too dedicated ( and/or already in the payroll of Maroni ). You can offer a bribe, but you can't make someone take it.

I thought they said Thomas tried to bribe him to keep the story out and the reporter said no.

And Falcone would not want Thomas Wayne going public...Wayne was one of the most trustworthy and powerful people in the city who was probably odds on favorite to win the job as mayor. If he dropped out and went public with what Falcone did no one would believe Falcone's protestations. Even a weak DA would investigate the allegation from one of Gotham's founding families (and richest families) and sooner or later either evidence would pop up or something else would take Falcone down. (or Maroni would) It could be a disaster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"