The Batsuit Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Thread Manager, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

Honest question,

Are there any other color pallettes that could work for the Batusit that would convey stealth, intimidation and all the things Batman would want other than Black (or Black and Grey?)

The one reason I liked the Injustice suit is that it did use some blue hues and whatnot to give it a different kind of look.

2. BatScot

BatScot Mon the Hoops!

:yay:

3. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Not a fan of the armoured look, but this is a very good attempt overall. I like the way that the segmentation matches human anatomy, unlike the jigsaw-puzzle horror show on the TDK/R batsuit. The only things I find a bit clumsy are the gauntlets (I wish this approach hadn't ever been used by the videogames- it looks awful) and the black-on-black symbol.

It may look a bit more...credible if the model relaxed his expression.
    I'm a big defender of the blue- as a child of the 80s, blue and grey is what Batman wears to me. It is a perfectly reasonable pairing for an urban environment. I understand that the evidence is that pure black colour blocking is much easier to see in the gloom, as it gives a sharp outline. I think any colour would be effective if it was muted. Midnight blue and charcoal grey looks good, and would work well.

Now I shall man the barricades while my opinion is assaulted from all fronts.

4. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

As long as there isn't bright yellow, I definitely can agree.

5. Gort Baringa

Gort Baringa Well-Known Member

Love the segmented armour on the abdomen and the all black utility belt.

Not very happy with the ears on the cowl and especially the nose. The 'gauntlets' look horrible.

6. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

I'm just not a fan of that suit, at all.

7. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

Blue and grey have actually been proven by military research to be the most effective colours for urban camouflage.

8. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Gray is the best color if you want general anonymity. Which is why Michael Mann's criminals always wear gray suits.

9. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

The only good thing about this suit is the belt.

10. Bren

Bren Forevernoob

If that is purely fan made, then I have no criticism for it only a bloody well done.

Wouldn't want it in a live action film, but bloody well done.

11. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a good fan costume, even a professionally made costume, but not good at all for a movie.

12. brett66

brett66 user title

The cowl is terrible but I like the basic idea of the suit overall.

13. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

The article I read about this particular military study (actually done by a research firm hired by the military) mentioned nothing about blue, all it said was a mix of black and gray was better for night time urban camo than all black, which was a huge contradiction to all those fans who said "An all-black Batsuit is stealthier".
    I could see how some blue would work, though, to my eyes everything at night where there's no lighting outside has a bit of a bluish tint to it.

14. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

To borrow from another site:

15. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

There ya go!
    Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against an all -black suit for Batman, as a kid I thought a black suit would be cool, and I still do. I just had a problem with so many fans claiming an all black suit is better than the black (or blue) and gray combo for stealth purposes, when in reality it's not. I mean, couldn't they have just simply said they like the black suit better, instead of coming up with some bogus excuse?

16. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

The blue is more stealthy argument has never swayed me with regards to batman. He's not trying to simply blend in he's dressed as a freakin bat for god's sake! he wants to intimidate as well.

Black is by far the most intimidating color in that regards and makes a hell of a lot more sense with his bat motif. I'm not against grey use, i just don't want to see Batman in blue in live action.

17. lixdexia

lixdexia Well-Known Member

i disagree

18. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

[​IMG]

I really think something like this would be perfect for the next live-action Batman.

Make the belt(s), gauntlets, and boots a darker black, and we'd have a solid version of a grey/black Batman suit. The design is simple, not overly busy, and yet it still looks practical with the belt pouches and leg strap. The draped cape and bigger chest symbol are things a lot of people have requested for the next Batman. He looks protected, but this suit doesn't scream "look at this crazy armor Batman's wearing". The type of armor/padding could easily be explained in the film (if it even needs to be explained this time around). They could keep or lose the white eyes, doesn't matter to me. Cowl looks good to me, but I wouldn't be opposed to ears that were a little longer.

A suit like this would present plenty of opportunities for Gothic imagery, since we're hopefully getting a more stylized Batman adaptation next time. It has the potential to look really intimidating on the right actor.

19. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

Yeah that costume is a nice fan made suit but for a movie no, especially that cowl.

20. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I quite like that, Shape, though I think brown leather is a better bet if you want to replace the yellow belt: that design is a little bit too monochrome for my tastes.

And that Rob Liefeld 1990s thigh strap has to go.

On another matter: I find comments that suggest that particular colours are or are not intimidating rather strange.

21. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

I mean, it's a drawing and not a fan-made suit, so I'm not sure what you mean. And what's so bad about the cowl compared to some of the awful designs people have posted in this thread?

I don't think I'd be much of a fan of the black/brown combo. Someone should darken the areas I mentioned, and then also make a version with those places being brown, so that we could see a side-by-side comparison. A brown belt just wouldn't "go" with anything, really.

As for the leg strap, I wouldn't have been for it before Nolan's trilogy started, but now I'm open to things we haven't seen yet on screen, visually. That small strap adds a level of practicality to a suit that doesn't look all too practical, IMO.

I'm imagining a live action version of this suit with a series of test photos against a white or grey backdrop, like we saw with Bale for TDK, and I think I'd be really happy with it.

22. Mako

Mako Galactic Crusier

I think he was referring to the photo zman posted not the art.

23. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

Ah, true.

24. Broseph44

Broseph44 Witness Me

Yeah I was, sorry shape I should have clarified that hah. My bad

25. Lamborghini07

Lamborghini07 Member

I like this, I think the belt should be matte grey and it would look clean. As someone whose dissected a human and studied human anatomy I think the skin tight plastic look is terrible as that Adonis measurements aren't possible in modern day and look ridiculous. Also no one in that physique could move, especially in that armor.

If you look at Burton's batman it was too stiff and impossible to do batman like things in that outfit. Def dark gray would look good but I feel the shoulders are always neglected and if shown would be more intimidating. If the cape could be farther back or on the rear delts that would look better than covering the anterior shoulder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.