The BATSUIT Thread

I think that some of the BvS pre-production designs are pretty interesting :
debb50875dd0e5b5d18fd8327e6ef168.jpg
09a6be2420bee8beef4f1dc4b70398d1.jpg
Trouble is, Ben or any actor besides the rock doesn’t have this type of figure to realistically make this look work.. Ben would have had to wear a muscle suit under his Bruce Wayne attire to convincingly look built! Which I wouldn’t have minded... personally... however we would know it’s movie magic...
Nolan made Bane look huge and it didn’t look fake.. just smart angles and design.
I think for BvS & JL, the proportions of the suit were good, it just needed to 1/4 smaller so that it just looked like Ben post work out and ‘pumped’.
The BvS suit to me, looked like a robust, stretchy material as a jumpsuit.. and had armour plates underneath protecting organs.. but it didn’t come off that natural.. as again Ben never looked that bulky out of the suit.. at least with 89 we knew the suit was sculpted armour and Bale’s was armour..

I think that it's caused by the material they're using. Brandon Routh had the same problem :he was pretty big , but on screen he looked pretty skinny for the role he was playing.

Cloth hides definition. That's why even the most muscular person can look relatively slim inside a suit. And it's why every superhero outfit needs muscle padding regardless of how big the actor is.

This is why i wish they went with under armour as like a tie in - look at these athletic models and tell me they do not look like a realsitic, real life interpretation of material used for superman/batman and i guess many heroes?

Trouble is, superman - it's fine... Dean Cain had a similar suit, as did Reeve. The S insignia will hide a lot of the chest area, but honestly, you hire smaller supporting cast and do a slight touch up in post for shadow and shading, it'll look fine.
Batman, unless it's over armour, no pun intended, it's hard to believe that material will stop a knife or bullet. When Bruce takes it off, he needs to be wearing chest plates which mimic and flow with the torso - which is when a muscle suit underneath will work.
example.jpeg chest plate.jpeg

The Captain America and Daredevil suits alrwady have things figured out; again, I hope the Batsuit takes inspiration from those in terms of materials.

I also hope it's not a one piece bodysuit.

I think not... it’s more the way the actor in the suit was drawn.. unrealistic proportions etc
That same suit could be drawn on a smaller and more realistic model and it would look just as amazing.
What makes the difference is the materials that are used.
If you took Hoechlin’s suit design and used the materials that they used for the MoS suit, it would look much closer to that concept art.
9a0162c414536a82b26c76e7ad8df44f.jpg

12-man-of-steel.w700.h700.jpg

I think that it's caused by the material they're using. Brandon Routh had the same problem :he was pretty big , but on screen he looked pretty skinny for the role he was playing.
It's not just material, but design as well. A lot of had Routh's suit was designed, from the size of the S to placement of the cape contributed. Think how vertical lines are slimming and horizontal are fattening. They choose a lot bad design elements that all the money in the world can't fix.

The Supergirl version does a far better job interns of design but is hampered by budget and time. The had to not only design it but, source available fabrics, make it durable enough so they need fewer replacements and flexible enough for an actor to move and to do that in a few week is a challenge. All things considered the arrowverse version looks great.
That same suit could be drawn on a smaller and more realistic model and it would look just as amazing.
What makes the difference is the materials that are used.
If you took Hoechlin’s suit design and used the materials that they used for the MoS suit, it would look much closer to that concept art.
9a0162c414536a82b26c76e7ad8df44f.jpg

12-man-of-steel.w700.h700.jpg
Comparing the two photos you have to notice how the way the cape in attached makes the MoS shoulders look bigger. How the belt is lower and the "alien" texture makes a 'v' which makes his torso look thinner which makes his arms and chest look larger. And the musicle shading all adds to making him look stronger. But this suit probably wen through a 100 small iterations and test suits before they settled on what they wanted. I doubt tv made more than one test before the final suit.

Different challenges with different conditions dictating the finally look that's all based on they creator's personal preference.

Hoechlin without padding on the shoulders, arms and chest looks so natural and fantastic.

The under layers of both Arkham Origins and JL are quite nice looking :
Brucewaynebao.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Cloth hides definition. That's why even the most muscular person can look relatively slim inside a suit. And it's why every superhero outfit needs muscle padding regardless of how big the actor is.
Not just hides definition, it compresses and smoothes everything out. Superhero costumes using modern construction techniques basically function the same as high-powered Spanx unless they have muscle padding underneath.

Not just hides definition, it compresses and smoothes everything out. Superhero costumes using modern construction techniques basically function the same as high-powered Spanx unless they have muscle padding underneath.
Yup - but I always liked the idea his suit would get ripped and damaged - superman esp! Batman wears spandex that is basically flame proof and I guess under impact tenses up and stops a bullet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"