The Battlestar Galactica and Caprica Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultimatefan said:
I´m watching the miniseries and I think it´s damn good. If the series itself is better, well, count me as an addict.

I am the same way, they had a marathon the other day, and I just happen to skip, wow...I can't say I got into the old show, but this is really good stuff :up:

Only recently caught up with the episodes from having saw one of series 2 that grabbed me. Originally I avoided it like the plague because I thought the premise was dumb but I was way off. I should know better when Ron Moore is involved (excluding voyager).

Have to say this series is fantastic, best Sci-Fi on TV I have seen since Babylon 5 except it has started much stronger. Love it. Acting is fantastic, Adama is from Ultimate Force! Liked that show too. Love how its mostly character driven which is generally what the best sci-fi does, uses the genre to express every human emotion and growth since you can place them in any situation conceivable.

Baltar is probably my favourite character just because he is so deep and such a three dimensional character. Everything he does has a purpose or a place the decision has come from. Don't exactly like all his choices but he is human, he represents the very best (intelligence) and very worst (betrayal) of mankind. Its almost like the Baltar show at times as he always seems to be involved, which is good for me at least. Plus where Baltar is, she is. ;)

A few things I'd like to see:

- Since Adama is now an Admiral, he should take command of the pegasus since it is the best ship. Rename it to Galactica and move the crew over.

- As with above, in anycase the Pegasus no longer has a commander as far as I can tell. So shouldn't someone be promoted to take command? Thats Adama's decision. Why not someone like his son as it'd create the obvious conflict with the crew that maybe he was favoured and people on the ship passed over.

- Baltar is very rational but like all men have their weaknesses, I'd like to see him stand on his own as an individual and fight back more in arguments. He seems to fold a lot when he has to put effort into something. He obviously doesn't believe in God, and he is smart enough to know that he is being manipulated but he just lets it happen anyway. Maybe due to being glad to be alive at all. But I'd like to see him take charge and start manipulating people on his own accord, which he must be good at since he gets women to do what he wants usually. Hopefully we are starting to see this with how he reacted to the asking of his resignation. Then again, I would have liked to have seen him resign but then refuse to do anything for the fleet and see how they cope. Get them to come begging to him, since they rely on him for basically anything that requires half a brain. Also, how come he didn't go straight up to Helo when coming on board and saying "Thanks buddy!". I don't think they have even had a scene together.

- I think considering the fact that the characters are being hunted down and just had their civilization turned to ruins, that they don't exactly think about it much. Would like to see characters discuss their theories and idea's about the cylons, how they work, the reasoning behind their attack, how they can be defeated, what they need to do to rebuild an empire to fight back and so on. Basically more long term strategy now they have some breathing room to think.

The 'Scar' episode was good, although it felt like a rip from Space: Above and Beyond to be honest.

Evelisse - Well as starbuck showed, she made it back in a few jumps. I think they could head to Earth but go back home at any time, its just that they need to take baby steps to explore space and plot things otherwise they might jump into an asteroid or whatever. So going forward into the unknown takes a long time but their jumpdrives are instant meaning they can go back a lot easier. Starbuck will press the issue I am sure.

OMG. I...can't...believe...they....
killed Billy

I'm just....just....Wow.

Damn, he was a great character too. Just never gave him much to do.

I still want to hear the old and new cylons (not the human looking ones) talk or at least give orders to one another.

well, that solves the first love triangle problem...

good epi, finally got to see the whole baby preview, which was pretty cool.

The long shots of sharon at the conclusion of the episode: what are you're perspectives on that? Is she helping the fleet? or is she just a pawn in a greater game of chess?

Marc said:
The 'Scar' episode was good, although it felt like a rip from Space: Above and Beyond to be honest.

Absolutely. This episode, minus Kat's annoying un-soldier like behavior (not to mention gross insubordination) had the exact premise of 'The Angriest Angel' from SAAB.

For what it's worth, SAAB's version was better in plot, acting, and overall character development. I sincerely wish that show had lived beyond Season One. It was ahead of its time.

The latest ep's seems to steer away from comments by Ron and how the first series started out, episodes are starting to look at lot more individual, less episodic/serial. Which isn't good in my mind. :( Also it doesn't exactly reflect good on characters this ep. I mean it makes Dualla look like a complete ***** for not telling Billy about Apollo. And Apollo almost dying again is playing that card a little too early after just 'recovering' from the spacing. Billy was a good character and very open and honest, so I assume that means he is a cylon and we'll see him again. Plus the whole terrorist thing again seems to be pushing it. Terrorism is a minority, rebellion is a significant portion... with a population of 40,000+ its seems there is a large percentage targeting itself. So at that point it should be civil war or at least a rebellion.

For example why does anyone have to follow any laws set down from the battlestar, just turn a ship into a country/state with its own laws. And soldiers don't have to follow orders as their contracts are based on pay, they are no longer paid so have no legal reason to follow orders. If they are going to go the populace unrest route then I'd like to see it properly, rather than dancing around it with multiple factions every other episode. With the pegasus, zarek, this woman, the cylon sympathizers, the black market and so on. Oh and one love triangle down, another starts up with Starbuck overlooking. Its a bit.... blargh... over the place. No real strong relationships, seems love is very cheap and thrown around at the turn of a head.

Cap - Yeah, I have to say judging by the editing I think it was probably even more of a rip off. As it seemed like they chopped and changed things to try and differentiate it.

S:AAB's was definitely better, one of the best single episodes of any show IMO. Had everything, very epic and almost the making of myth. It was a good show that deserved better.

Cap1970 said:
Absolutely. This episode, minus Kat's annoying un-soldier like behavior (not to mention gross insubordination) had the exact premise of 'The Angriest Angel' from SAAB.

every fighter jock tv show/ movie always has the same plots. It's the maverick and goose complex.

SAAB had a better idea on how to do the story, but poor budget dragged the show way down. BSG has improved on the space battleship idea 100 fold

Billy a Cylon, yea I could see that, what would really rock the boat is having Dualla turn out to be a cylon, after hooking up and developing a relationship with Apollo, I know its unlikely but something I could see happening.

Superfreak said:
every fighter jock tv show/ movie always has the same plots. It's the maverick and goose complex.

SAAB had a better idea on how to do the story, but poor budget dragged the show way down. BSG has improved on the space battleship idea 100 fold

I don't know if it's Maverick and Goose complex or not - but I was mainly talking about the storytelling and character development. Even the "backstory" of Scar was reminiscent of Chiggy Von Richtofen - all was needed was "ABANDON ALL HOPE" on the skin of the vehicle and it would have been a perfect ripoff.

I will agree with you the BSG is better written as a space battleship theory, there could have been a better way to write a story like "Scar." I don't get paid the money to do that kind of thing, but as a fan of both shows, the parallels were a little too close for my liking.

Well, I'm starting to get bored with BSG. Every episode is certainly tense, and well written, but they're all starting to blend together. Too man civil unrest and not enough plot developtment.

I have a feeling Ron Moore only wanted a 3 season story, that would have a clear beginning, middle, and end. And Sci Fi wants to stretch the show out. Becuase all his main arc episodes are fantastic, 33, Ressurection Ship, etc, whereas the filler episodes are just that, filler.

Either way, the rest of Season 2 seems to be Main Story eps, with the possible exception of tonights.

LetsHangBendis said:
Well, I'm starting to get bored with BSG. Every episode is certainly tense, and well written, but they're all starting to blend together. Too man civil unrest and not enough plot developtment.

I have a feeling Ron Moore only wanted a 3 season story, that would have a clear beginning, middle, and end. And Sci Fi wants to stretch the show out. Becuase all his main arc episodes are fantastic, 33, Ressurection Ship, etc, whereas the filler episodes are just that, filler.

Either way, the rest of Season 2 seems to be Main Story eps, with the possible exception of tonights.

dude, look at the season as a whole, the first 7 episodes were one arc, ending with the fleet all happy and on the way to earth proper.

then there was 2 fillers

then there was the 3 part pegasus arc, the episode with the president almost dying, but saved by sharon's baby.

and then 3 filler episodes.

what a short memory you have. There has been very little filler this season. The last three, I agree, have been rather poor, and don't seem like they'll go anywhere. But five filler episodes out of a total of sixteen... that's hardly something to complain about.

on with the show: They finally put the preview up on the website. Tonight's episode looks wicked. I hope it doesn't crap out... It's the dad from Home
Alone!! Anyhow, tonight looks good.

Wow, was a good night of tv, I guess I stand corrected and the Pegasus isn't going anywhere at least for now. Baltar.... :( well played,

Man, great episode, sometimes I wonder how they can get such good effects on a tv show.

diddo, that was a cool epi...

Doc Cottle is awesome. He's the most disgruntled character in the cast. I like the social implications of the epi, and how it was balanced with a relatively cool battle.

I don't think that the 'beast' will be around for too much longer though. Mainly because I think having a Commander Adama, and an Admiral Adama is a little too much.

Can I say that the character interaction was really good in the epi... and we got to see Dee prance around. I think she's the only central female character that hadn't gotten naked yet (besides the president of course).

Great episode! I noticed on the previews that Sharon is on what appears to be Caprica. It also looks like her and Lucy Lawless had some kind of battle. Both look a little roughed up. Going to be sweet watching Xena throw down again.

Did I miss something though? I thought Sharon II was still alive on Galactica and pregnant. Is there now a Sharon III?

Actually I believe it is a sort of flashback Sharon is going to have, starting from when her one copy was shot on Galactica through her resurrection and drama leading up to her accepting her place and meeting up with Helo on Caprica. I believe the entire episode will be taken from the cylons point of view, should be interesting.

Evelisse said:
Actually I believe it is a sort of flashback Sharon is going to have, starting from when her one copy was shot on Galactica through her resurrection and drama leading up to her accepting her place and meeting up with Helo on Caprica. I believe the entire episode will be taken from the cylons point of view, should be interesting.

That makes sense, Evelisse. I hadn't considered that option, but I think you're right. It seems like I read somewhere where they were going to do an episode from the Cylons point of view. This could be it.

Good thinking there.

Evelisse said:

Yeah, its the SHaron that Cally killed onboard Galactica being resurrected.

I gotta say, Friday's episode was awesome. And just when I'm getting sick of the lack of Baltar on the show, he shows up again and completely dominates although he's only in a few scenes.

Baltar....that guy. Arrgghhh....Never loved to hate any character so much. He is really starting to come into his own. He did a great job of spinning things in his favor....and that smug look at the end of the episode. Wow. And I agree, I don't see Lee being in command for too long....two Adama Battlestars is a little much. But it was great to see him take control. Very nicely done.

huskerwebhead said:
Baltar....that guy. Arrgghhh....Never loved to hate any character so much. He is really starting to come into his own. He did a great job of spinning things in his favor....and that smug look at the end of the episode. Wow. And I agree, I don't see Lee being in command for too long....two Adama Battlestars is a little much. But it was great to see him take control. Very nicely done.

Chances are the Pegasus isnt going to be around for too long. It just feels redundant to me and with Lee in Command of the Pegasus it pretty much isolates him from the rest of the characters, so yeah id count on the Pegasus blowing up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"