Infinity War The Black Order

Eh the CGI looks fine to me besides that image is pretty poor quality.

Nope. The Black Order's designs look far more complex and far more alien. And Gamora and Nebula are in the movie, and you are inheriting the process of how they are created from previous Marvel movies; and thus take a long time to get made up, then why would you also want to deal with that for the Black Order? That's three more characters requiring heavy makeup (the big guy is obviously gonna be CGI no matter what). Why would you think the directors of this movie want that kind of a hassle?

Every character in the Guardians movie wears some type of extensive make-up except for Star Lord - and some how they manage to get those movies made in a timely manner...

So, I don’t buy Thanos being the best CG rendered character. Especially when Ebony Maw looks damn good.
avengers-infinity-war-final-trailer-takeaways-ebony-maw.jpg

This is no more complex a character than the Red Skull was in the first Cap and that was a make-up with a little cgi...

An actor would barely be able to emote through Maw's face in practical makeup. His face is too alien

An actor would barely be able to emote through Maw's face in practical makeup. His face is too alien

Exactly. Just in that one 'hush' motion in the trailer, his mouth has so much more elasticity and animation than any practical prosthetic makeup could possibly provide. Even enhanced with animatronics.

I could see the complaint if he looked cartoony or flat, but that looks completely photoreal to me. In fact, too photoreal to be entirely CGI. Looks to me like Ebony Maw (in closeups at least) is an actor in real costume and prosthetics with CGI assistance in animating the face.

As far as CG goes, it looks fine, not sure what the complaints are.

But yeah, personally I'd have much preferred if the human-sized Order peeps were actual actors rather than mo-Cap. The Other looked ****ing stunning in the first movie (also always maked me laugh how damn unrecognizable Denisof is in that tole, it's awesome).

Makes sense for Thanos and Cull, but you could definitely get away with full-practical for the other three. If you need more emoting out of Maw's face, you can layer that over with CG in post. Best of both worlds - expressions are all there, and yet there's an actual weighty physical tangible being there on-screen.

I feel like people use Gamora as an example of the practical stuff looking kind of crappy, and I'd agree. But Gamora's sort of a lazy example, they basically just painted Zoe green and were done with it. Red Skull and The Other along with most of the background aliens in Guardians are a way better example of how to do it.

Yeah I hope they keep the aspect that as long as his spear is intact he can't be killed I'm sorry if it's a unpopular thing but I hope the "regular" human avengers get RUN THROUGH cause they should pose no threat to the Black Order

I agree with you, that makes total sense so I don't get why it's an unpopular thing (which it is).

But yeah, personally I'd have much preferred if the human-sized Order peeps were actual actors rather than mo-Cap. The Other looked ****ing stunning in the.

Well, except the Order are not really human-sized. You can see them standing around Loki in the 2nd trailer-- Everyone not named Cull Obsidian is about 7 feet tall.

I think she looks pretty lifelike here as well.

LkfAXWg.png

Also, I believe she's being portrayed by actress and stunt woman Monique Ganderton. Ganderton most recently portrayed one of Apocalypse's original horsemen in X-Men Apocalypse, and she's doubled for numerous actresses since the early 2000s.

Monique-Ganderton-white.jpg

Monique+Ganderton+Hansel+Gretel+Witch+Hunters+8pq-voOc8_ul.jpg

Yes! She's amazing. She was probably one of the few good parts of X-Men Apocalypse.

Also I really do think Proxima looks like her... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she did the face performance as well and they CGI'd over it.

Yes! She's amazing. She was probably one of the few good parts of X-Men Apocalypse.

Also I really do think Proxima looks like her... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she did the face performance as well and they CGI'd over it.

True. I like to pretend the X-Prequel trilogy duology only consists of First Class and DoFP. Apocalypse never happened. lol

Yeah, you're probably right. Her facial morphology is very similar.

True. I like to pretend the X-Prequel trilogy duology only consists of First Class and DoFP. Apocalypse never happened. lol

Yeah, you're probably right. Her facial morphology is very similar.

Ha! That's one more than me... I couldn't even finish First Class. I found it unwatchable. For me there's only one X-Men prequel and that's DoFP lol.

I love X-Men: Apocalypse, there I said it.

Well, except the Order are not really human-sized. You can see them standing around Loki in the 2nd trailer-- Everyone not named Cull Obsidian is about 7 feet tall.

Shoe lifts, apple boxes, trick photography. There are lots of ways around that. If Nolan can make Tom Hardy of all people seem 7 feet tall, should be a cakewalk here.

But ehh, on balance I don't really care, they look great in mo-cap all the same. Just still clearly "not actually there", no matter how god CG gets you're still going to get that incongruous feeling. Hulk looks great, and you still get it with him even in Ragnarok.

Every character in the Guardians movie wears some type of extensive make-up except for Star Lord - and some how they manage to get those movies made in a timely manner...

The Black Order are way more complex than the Guardians characters. Any practical costume or make up would likely be too much of a pain in the ass for the Russo's to deal with. And not every director wants to deal with makeup and prosthetics. Why would you have to when motion capture technology can do it in post production?

Its the same reason they don't do Iron Man's suit practically much anymore. Why do it when its just easier to put the stunt guy in a motion capture suit?

And not every director wants to deal with makeup and prosthetics. Why would you have to when motion capture technology can do it in post production?

Its the same reason they don't do Iron Man's suit practically much anymore. Why do it when its just easier to put the stunt guy in a motion capture suit?

And this, my friends, is why we need more Joe Johnston types. :p Oldschool.

"**** it, we'll do it in post, it's easier" could basically be the mantra for most directors who came on the scene pretty recently, heh.

I love it too. I don't get the hate people have for it.

For me, personally, it's damn Jennifer Lawrence. It became the Mystique show and the whole thing of her being a member of the X-Men at the end and her being Storm's role model... I just hated that so much it kinda ruined the movie (actually, the whole prequel trilogy) for me.

I was one of the ones who didn't hate Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse. He needed RDJ lifts in his shoes, but other than that... he was pretty solid.

Anyway, back to The Black Order. That Black Dwarf (Cull whatever) statue looks great. Still waiting for Corvus and Proxima Hot Toys figures though...

To be fair, the CGI rendering on Thanos is quite good (especially the eyes) as is Brolin's mo-cap performance, so I wouldn't knock the process. It's just a shame that what we've seen of Proxima thus far clearly isn't up to par.
I dunno, I think the CGI on her looks great. It's her face that's the issue, because CGI human faces are always an issue; they just never look quite right, especially in motion.

Last edited:
I dunno, I think the CGI on her looks great. It's her face that's the issue, because CGI human faces are always an issue; they just never look quite right, especially in movement.

It must be so hard to do... rendering the face for someone who isn't quite humanoid and then - in that gif for example - trying to work out how the light of Scarlet Witch's hex power (which doesn't exist in real life) would affect the colour of Proxima's blue face and then taking into account the light from her own weapon. I really admire the people who do this work. I remember the first time I saw Gollum in LOTR and I was just like "WHAT. HOW??" and I still think it holds up today as some of the best mo cap work.

I actually kinda dig it too. Worst of the Singer movies, but that's still pretty damn solid. It's just jarring, coming after DoFP which was so damn great.

Still, Apocalypse has a few moments. Love the 80s stuff too.

Apocalypse had tremendous potential but lord, they dropped the ball big time with the design of thr Villain. And the third act, god it dragged like forever. smh

Glad we got a much improved Psylocke (over the X3 version) in it. Hope we see her again, or at least one that also looks the part in the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"