The Brightest Day! - Part 1

52, Batman and Robin, Seven Soldiers of Victory are just wastes of a series. All of them have done is lead onto another series and neither of them are satisfying stories in their own right. :p.

False

Both Brightest Day and Generation Lost are just wastes of a series. All both of them have done is lead onto another series neither of them are satisfying stories in their own right.

That's disappointing.

True

So I guess Johns did the most obvious, uninteresting thing it's possible to do with Swamp Thing. Shocking nobody, boring everybody.

Generation Lost was so awesome. Series of the year, for me. Althought Judd Winick really needs to come up with a different ending for every single story he writes other than "the villain magically runs away"

I'm almost apprehensive about it continuing, because I don't want anything in the future to possibly ruin the stuff that we got.
I would typically agree with you about the villain getting away, but in this instance, I really like how they set Max up as the person who is keeping an eye on the superhero community while being out in the open.

So I guess Johns did the most obvious, uninteresting thing it's possible to do with Swamp Thing. Shocking nobody, boring everybody.

Noooooo ****. It was ridiculous. It was as if Johns was afraid to have Swamp Thing do anything evil. The worst he did was step on some flowers. Literally. The monster walked into a forest and turned not-evil. What was even the point of Black Lantern Swamp Thing if he wasn't going to do anything interesting. I think I would have less of a problem with this series if White Lantern had simply resurrected regular Swamp Thing from the start and not teased us with the possibility of something fun like an evil zombie swamp thing.

btw, did anybody read Green Arrow, at all? Ollie was running around the forest and hanging out by the tree where Alec Holland was buried, yet I don't recall him in BD (main series) at all.

Well Nekron-Swamp-Thing did corrupt the earth as we saw in #23 but the story didn't focus that much on the chaos wreaking around the globe, but the Swamp Thing Zombie was destroying the earth and that is evil mister!

But again, I ask, what physical affect did this have on the day to day lives of the residents of the DCU? I hear that the Green is corrupted, and yet I see no effect, so how is it important? Does little Jimmy not get a soy snack after pre-school anymore? Is the Amazon rain forest falling over? Are more stadiums switching to astro-turf? Does Poison Ivy have terrible PMS? These are the questions that the writers should be answering because they are the questions that keep me up at night.

Speaking of keeping me up at night, it reminds me of the first arc of Gaiman's Sandman, when Morpheus is trapped outside of the dream realm and we actually get to see what effect it has on the world. That is what I would like to see when an author sends out an ambiguous claim like "The Black has corrupted the Green."

Sorry, at the STL public library using their wifi. It kinda blows. Double post.

I would typically agree with you about the villain getting away, but in this instance, I really like how they set Max up as the person who is keeping an eye on the superhero community while being out in the open.
Just think back to the amount of times in this series alone where the issue goes something like "They find Max, some scuffling occurs, and then he runs away." Heck, it's how the entire story started and practically how every single fight Judd Winick has written in the last five years has gone down. I don't think it brings down the quality of the rest of the comic or anything, but it's long since gotten to the point where I'm just expecting it all the time from him.

Just think back to the amount of times in this series alone where the issue goes something like "They find Max, some scuffling occurs, and then he runs away." Heck, it's how the entire story started and practically how every single fight Judd Winick has written in the last five years has gone down. I don't think it brings down the quality of the rest of the comic or anything, but it's long since gotten to the point where I'm just expecting it all the time from him.
Hence why I said, typically I would agree with you because the amount of times Max alone has gotten away is rather ridiculous, but I thought that Max's reintroduction to the world was pretty kick ass.

The ending of BD and JL:GL was so dissapointing. Both started out so great which just makes this sadder.

The best thing about the ending of Brightest Night? Maybe more people will check out Milligan's Hellblazer. C'mon you know you want to.

You're a self-centered little ****, aren't you? Do not come in hear and act superior to those who have berated the series during it's entire run because they were vocal throughout, while you say how pleased you are to not be a part of that group. People were complaining because for the last year, this story has been a convoluted mess that lacks any sort of structure. The main threat wasn't shown until the second last issue and was dealt with in a few panels through a fist-fight. Just because your poor tastes found this book tolerable, and you enjoyed Johns shoehorning in needless "mythology" into already established characters does not make you somehow admirable for not discussing the faults of the story throughout it's entire tenure. I especially like the bit at the end where you say in so many words that you read it without buying it. Bravo. Way to pirate an entire series. Act high and mighty when people complain about the quality. Defend it, then admit in the end that it wasn't worth it.
Oh, poor baby boy is angry. You feel offended? Well, I do not give a ***** about it. :) Now insulting people is clearly too much.
What you call "vocal" about this comic, was, most of the time, "bashing", so yeah, I'm happy to be a bit more tolerant than those who were bashing WITHOUT knowing what the book was going to be. You misunderstood, I was not talking about the quality of the book, that I found mediocre, I was talking about going nuts for things we do not even know. As someone pointed out to you, the main threat was indicated since a while, in the sense that all characters had to do their personal journey. Poorly IMO. So no, Aquaman was probablynot dying again. It was visible for some, not for those who were bashing. I was not saying I was admirable, just implying that a bit of tolerance would have been nice.
Oh, and you misunderstood : I bought the book. But as stated a while ago, BD was OK to read,not nice to buy, in my case. That's what I meant. I was not clear.
Now, I admit it, my "poor tastes" enjoyed all the things that were added to the mythology of the characters, for example, Aquaman. Especially if it allows them to be richer and have their own serie. :fhm:

The ending of BD and JL:GL was so dissapointing. Both started out so great which just makes this sadder.
I loved Generation Lost's ending, personally. Definitely the better of the two series by far because it had the luxury of focusing on characters instead of matters of cosmic importance. Note: the character-based subplots of Brightest Day--especially Boston Brand's--were also easily its best. At the end of the day, I couldn't care less about Swamp Thing and John Constantine being back in the DC universe if I tried, but I'm still looking forward to what comes next for the JLI, Aquaman, the Martian Manhunter, and Deadman. I actually cheered when Batman brought up the JLI logo at the end of Generation Lost. :hehe:

A pretty bland end to a very underwhelming series. The highlight of the series was the Dove/Deadman romance, everything else was fair (Aquaman) to bad (Hawkman and Hawkgirl). Horrid ending for Hawkman if they keep with the angry, angst-ridden bit.

I think Flashpoint will be a better crossover than this series was.

Yep

What a waste of a character. The worst of his Vertigo stories are still a hundred times better than how he was used in Brightest Day

I haven't read Generation Lost but yea while I look at BD being a good book in a different light than some the ending was in fact something I just didn't care about. It doesn't feel like to me the story is done either. Doesn't feel like it has ended even though it looks like there won't be a book coming out of BD's events like BD clearly came from BN ending; though it gives that feel to it.

Though shouldn't you Swamp Thing fans be happy that [blackout]Johns didn't spit on cannon when he brought Alec Hammond into the mix? Course in the end Hammond DID have to become Swamp Thing to fix it all...[/blackout]

Alec Holland becoming Swamp Thing again just made me :facepalm:

If this is the kind of thing they are going to do with the character i wish they had never brought him back into the DCU

Womp Stomp!

That sounds like the most fabulous dance move ever

Everybody do the Womp Stomp!

Womp Stomp
© 2011
-WompuM

I loves you Uncle Womp :up:

Here's a question I feel is legitimate and deserves to be answered. As we've seen in the latest, I don't remember, Emerald Warriors I think, the Guardians forge the actual physical green lantern power batteries and rings. Ganthey and Sayd formed the blue lanterns. Atrocitus formed the red ones, yada yada yada.

Who built the White Lantern? What about the rings? Where did they actual come from? Did the white entity that infected Sinestro build it? Did it come into being the same way in which life came into being? Is the lantern, itself, alive? Whose voice was coming from the lantern?

I would have rather these questions answered that have 2 issues where Swamp Thing is shoehorned in for some reason.

Wow that is is a valid ****ing question Womp.

Sadly we won't know for a while, it brings further questions considering we knew the Guardians used to be White Lanterns once.

Just because they wore the white lantern emblem on their robe doesn't mean they were White Lanterns. Ring technology did not exist at that point and the old, tall guardians weren't shown to be able to harness white lantern energy.

I just read issue 24 and it was ****ing dumb, im pissed I bought all this crap. It was one big we should GO GREEN message and I could careless about that stuff. I personally want to ask Johns why the hell he decided to include Swamp Thing for no damn reason.

Well, this isn't a BD thing really, but the JL thread is buried and I guess it has some relevancy with the whole JLI thing.

DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘90s #1
Writers Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis and artist Kevin Maguire are one of the most classic creative teams in the Justice League’s history. In this issue, they reunite to tell the story of the Injustice Gang gaining access to a device they should never have been allowed to have, causing potentially disastrous results. It’ll be up to the Justice League of America to put a stop to their dastardly deeds.
ONE-SHOT • On sale AUGUST 24 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

The Injustice Gang are hilariously incompetent so that should be a fun little story :up:

Wompum said:
Who built the White Lantern? What about the rings? Where did they actual come from? Did the white entity that infected Sinestro build it? Did it come into being the same way in which life came into being? Is the lantern, itself, alive? Whose voice was coming from the lantern?

A wizard did it :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"