The Catwoman/Selina Kyle Casting Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Beckinsale is on my top three choices for Catwoman. I do feel like they are going to go with a younger actress tho.

Latest rumors have Eiza Gonzalez as Catwoman. She is 27 years old. I like that. And a woman of color as Catwoman should satisfy the people wanting a WoC to play Catwoman. And she has some action experience,
playing Santanico Pandemonium in the Dusk to Dawn TV series and in the new movie Baby Driver. Plus she is easy on the eyes. Thoughts?

eiza-gonzalez-dusk-dawn.jpg

Too young for what? Bale's Batman met Anne's Selina when he was 40, and she didn't look particularly old.

People are going on the idea that he has a storied history with catwoman. Not one that he just met.

Charlize Theron > Rebecca Ferguson > Eva Green > Kate Beckinsale > Eiza Gonzalez

People are going on the idea that he has a storied history with catwoman. Not one that he just met.

Yeah. Its one of the side effects of "veteran Batman". An age difference that is acceptable for two characters just meeting, is much less so if their relationship started 10-15 years before.

Plus when you consider that Nightwing and Batgirl are both in the works, both almost certainly to be played by twentysomethings, a 27-year-old Catwoman, ehh... no.

Latest rumors have Eiza Gonzalez as Catwoman. She is 27 years old. I like that. And a woman of color as Catwoman should satisfy the people wanting a WoC to play Catwoman. And she has some action experience,
playing Santanico Pandemonium in the Dusk to Dawn TV series and in the new movie Baby Driver. Plus she is easy on the eyes. Thoughts?

eiza-gonzalez-dusk-dawn.jpg

I have no issues with her.

Charlize Theron. I want a Catwoman who is closer in age to Ben Affleck's Batman, not one who is closer in age to a Nightwing or a Batgirl. No 27 year olds.

I like Eiza as Selina but not for a 45 year old Batman. If they do end up recasting Affleck for someone younger, I'd be fine with her but as of now, I'd prefer someone in their mid 30s at least

But considering we haven't heard anything about Sirens recently and Reeves def isn't casting, I don't believe the rumors. And I have to say it again. Having a Catwoman almost two decades younger than Batman just feels wrong

Last edited:
It feels wrong, but does it look bad? Eiza looked pretty damn good next to Hamm in Baby Driver.

Lighting/makeup and she will look a few years older. Movie magic. lol

jon-hamm-ansel-elgort-premiere-baby-driver-at-sxsw-with-eiza-gonzalez-02.jpg

Eiza+Gonzalez+Baby+Driver+Premiere+2017+SXSW+uewaos7Rqdul.jpg

I'd rather have Charlize. Not only is she age appropriate but she is Charlize F'N Theron. Oscar winning actress, action movie experienced, and is still hot. What more could you want?

I know nothing about Elza, but she looks amazing.

Also, I hate the phrase "woman of colour". It sounds so patronizing.

Charlize Theron. I want a Catwoman who is closer in age to Ben Affleck's Batman, not one who is closer in age to a Nightwing or a Batgirl. No 27 year olds.

I like Eiza as Selina but not for a 45 year old Batman. If they do end up recasting Affleck for someone younger, I'd be fine with her but as of now, I'd prefer someone in their mid 30s at least

But considering we haven't heard anything about Sirens recently and Reeves def isn't casting, I don't believe the rumors. And I have to say it again. Having a Catwoman almost two decades younger than Batman just feels wrong

I'd rather have Charlize. Not only is she age appropriate but she is Charlize F'N Theron. Oscar winning actress, action movie experienced, and is still hot. What more could you want?

Have Catwoman in a flashback sequence. Do the first part of the movie as a Batman: Year One story where Batman first met Catwoman. Then go forward to the present time for the rest of the movie. We haven't really had any of
this Batman's early years other than a cameo in Suicide Squad. Then a young Catwoman is an ideal choice. And a young Catwoman would work better in Suicide Squad than a 40 something hanging out with a 20 something Harley Quinn.
She'd almost seem more like Harley's mommy than a partner in crime.

Ben Affleck has a remarkably youthful, unlined face for a 44 year old. It's one of the reasons I'm excited for the possibility of 'Batgirl' and 'Nightwing' taking place a decade or more before BvS. He can certainly, believably play an early-thirties Bruce/Bats.
I doubt that him pairing with Gonzalez would seem weird or jarring.

Just a thought regarding age difference and romantic pairings- modern audiences (or at least the internet) seem much more prudish about the issue than audiences decades ago.

Humphrey Bogart was 44 (same age as Affleck) when he was paired with a nineteen year old(!) Lauren Bacall in 'To Have and Have Not'. Their chemistry was so electrifying that they were immediately teamed again in another classic, 'The Big Sleep' (and went on to a very happy marriage in real life).

More than seventy years ago, in a supposedly much more culturally conservative era, audiences seemed to have no problem with that.

Plus when you consider that Nightwing and Batgirl are both in the works, both almost certainly to be played by twentysomethings, a 27-year-old Catwoman, ehh... no.

Exactly. 27 yo Selina would look like Dick, a person Bruce sees as his son. That young Selina really doesn't work.

Plus, Selina and Bruce have history together.

"Hide a 25 actress and put some make up she'll look older" :whatever:. How about actually hiring an older actress?

It ties into Hollywood's double standard of "well we can higher older actors for parts like this. But older actresses, nope can't do it. Bring on the 20-something year olds."

And as attitudes change, people pick up on stuff like that. Plus there's been precisely ZERO incarnations of Catwoman that I've ever seen that make me like the idea of a Selina who's almost two decades younger than Bruce. A few years, sure, but not that much younger.

It ties into Hollywood's double standard of "well we can higher older actors for parts like this. But older actresses, nope can't do it. Bring on the 20-something year olds."

And as attitudes change, people pick up on stuff like that. Plus there's been precisely ZERO incarnations of Catwoman that I've ever seen that make me like the idea of a Selina who's almost two decades younger than Bruce. A few years, sure, but not that much younger.

Exactly. Someone brought up Old Hollywood and that kind of sexism was rampant back then. I've already said I'd like to recast Batman for the solo films so if they go younger, I'll be ok with this. But a Catwoman almost 2 decades younger than Batman will probably kill my interest in seeing that ship onscreen. Might as well pair her up with Dick at that point

We got Ben Affleck playing Batman. Catwoman is a Golden Age villain, a contemporary of Batman. You want to cast someone who can match him in terms of presence and acting ability and maturity. You want someone who can be Ben Affleck Batman's equal.

Some 27 year old hottie is not going to cut it, imo. Especially if they are mostly from TV and have little film experience.

At this point it will be more of a surprise if Eiza is not in the dceu.

We got Ben Affleck playing Batman. Catwoman is a Golden Age villain, a contemporary of Batman. You want to cast someone who can match him in terms of presence and acting ability and maturity. You want someone who can be Ben Affleck Batman's equal.

Literally none of those things are tied to age. Much less some arbitrary numerical handicap.

Literally none of those things are tied to age. Much less some arbitrary numerical handicap.

Its much easier to buy someone like Charlize Theron being contemporary of a Batman played by Ben Affleck then some 27 year old chick barely getting her feet wet in Hollywood.

I want an experienced Catwoman to match an experienced Batman. I don't want an older Batman lusting after a 27 year old hottie Catwoman (we got this in Dark Knight Rises already, with Hathaway and Bale). I don't want a 27 year old trying to be older than she is, either.

Just get Charlize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back