The Clinton Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the mayor of Buffalo, Byron Brown, will be appointed to Clinton's seat. He's an upstater who would become the state's first black senator, and both qualities would score points for Gov. Paterson.

I think he said it once following the outrage of Clinton not being selected from her supporters. I doubt he sincerely wants to lose his job to her.

I think he said it once following the outrage of Clinton not being selected from her supporters. I doubt he sincerely wants to lose his job to her.

Joe Biden loses to no one. He chooses to allow others to win. For reasons we mortals will never fathom.

Yeah. He is kinda getting screwed if such is the case. Though I'm sure by that point retirement may be nice for him.

I wouldn't be shocked if Biden told Obama upfront that he only wanted to serve one term as VP and that was one of the reasons Obama gave Clinton the SOS position. Biden retires in 2012, Clinton becomes VP, Richardson becomes SOS, and in 2016 Clinton runs for President. Strategically it makes perfect sense for everyone and probably secures the White House for the Democrats for the next 16 years unless Obama screws things up. I think we are jumping to conclusions to assume Biden even wants to serve two terms. He'll be 70 in 4 years, that's a pretty reasonable age to consider retirement.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked if Biden told Obama upfront that he only wanted to serve one term as VP and that was one of the reasons Obama gave Clinton the SOS position. Biden retires in 2012, Clinton becomes VP, Richardson becomes SOS, and in 2016 Clinton runs for President. Strategically it makes perfect sense for everyone and probably secures the White House for the Democrats for the next 16 years unless Obama screws things up. I think we are jumping to conclusions to assume Biden even wants to serve two terms. He'll be 70 in 4 years, that's a pretty reasonable age to consider retirement.

It's definately going to be interesting to see how this all really plays out.

Do you have a source, or quote of him saying this?
No but I think it was on CNN during a press junket. But I'm pretty sure those where his words. In fact I remember because it was such a topic of conversation on the news channels for about a week.

I just want Hillary to go away.

Even if she hadn't been selected as Secretary of State, she would have had four years left in the Senate at least. Clinton is beloved in New York and she would have been able to keep her Senate seat for as long as she wanted to, keeping her in the national spotlight.

No but I think it was on CNN during a press junket. But I'm pretty sure those where his words. In fact I remember because it was such a topic of conversation on the news channels for about a week.

That is really interesting, and may be something that is used by Republicans in 2012........*sighs* I love Biden, but damn he needs to harness his tongue.

That is really interesting, and may be something that is used by Republicans in 2012........*sighs* I love Biden, but damn he needs to harness his tongue.

He was clearly being modest though, and meant it as a compliment to Clinton, not as a slight towards his own qualifications. It was probably also a case of trying to appeal to the disenchanted Hillary voter. Personally I think that was a case where the media overreacted about a harmless statement.

As for Republicans making a big deal about it in 2012, it's doubtful. If they didn't make a big deal out of it in 2008 (he made that statement sometime in September), they wont bother doing so in 4 years, same as how Rev. Wright, Ayers, Rezko, etc. probably wont be brought up in 4 years. It's old news. No one will care.

Edit: Woohoo! 3000th post!

He was clearly being modest though, and meant it as a compliment to Clinton, not as a slight towards his own qualifications. It was probably also a case of trying to appeal to the disenchanted Hillary voter. Personally I think that was a case where the media overreacted about a harmless statement.

As for Republicans making a big deal about it in 2012, it's doubtful. If they didn't make a big deal out of it in 2008 (he made that statement sometime in September), they wont bother doing so in 4 years, same as how Rev. Wright, Ayers, Rezko, etc. probably wont be brought up in 4 years. It's old news. No one will care.

It was old news when the GOP brought those things out this time. It didn't stop them though. I strongly suspect that the Republicans will try this same hand again in 2012.

Congratulations!
icon14.gif

I hear ya.........heres the thing, if he (Obama) does well these 4 years, they won't be able to use anything that Biden said about McCain, Clinton, Obama not being ready, or this......BUT, if he doesn't do well, I can assure you they will put out campaign ads that use all of the above, and it won't matter Biden's "motive", what will matter is people's "perception".

NOW AND FEMINIST MAJORITY BACK MALONEY FOR CLINTON SENATE SEAT
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecr..._Majority_back_Maloney_for_Hillarys_seat.html

The National Organization for Women and the Feminist Majority jointly endorsed Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) on Thursday to take Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s Senate seat, beating out several other female contenders for the spot.

"Sen. Hillary Clinton leaves big shoes to fill, and Carolyn Maloney has what it takes. She knows how to tackle big issues and is willing to take on entrenched interests," said Kim Gandy, president of NOW. "She is a tireless advocate for her constituents, and one of the most effective legislators in the House."

The groups said that they don’t want to lose one of just 16 Senate seats currently held by women.

“The women of New York, the nation and the world need Carolyn Maloney's determination, tenacity, creativity and keen legislative skills to address the countless issues facing women, workers and families,” NOW said, touting Maloney’s authorship of the expansion of the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Debbie Smith Act for processing of DNA evidence rape kits.

Carolyn Maloney is has a lot of power in the House, why would she want to become a freshman senator?

Because who want to bother with two year elections when you can upgrade to one every six? :huh:

Because who want to bother with two year elections when you can upgrade to one every six? :huh:

Um, she wins re-election with 70% of the vote every two years, so I don't think she has to worry about that at all...

She was an early choice, but some said that she probably woul not take it.....

Well, Carolyn approached NY governor about this soon-to-be-vacant seat, so if offered I'm sure she'll take it.

Sweeeet Caaaaroliiiine (bah-bah-bahhhhh)! :up:

jag

She was an early choice, but some said that she probably woul not take it.....

Kennedy wants it though. She apparently has been meeting with Paterson to discuss it, and ABC News reports that Paterson wants her to be the nominee.

Kennedy wants it though. She apparently has been meeting with Paterson to discuss it, and ABC News reports that Paterson wants her to be the nominee.

*crosses fingers*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"