The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Detective Conan, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Also worth noting, the character in question is based in Hong Kong.

2. Pennywise Registered

3. Detective Conan Registered

The Oscars are just considering this so they don’t have to nominate Sonic The Hedgehog. :o

spiderman2 likes this.
  4. Boom I got nothin'

Just give Gary Oldman, David Fincher, and Mank all of the Oscars.

5. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

What would be nominated, and how would they be held anyway? Huge Zoom conference call?

6. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Damn. Y'all know that was the real reason Nolan was dead set on Tenet's release - he'd finally get that Oscar. :oldrazz:

Snow Queen likes this.
  7. jmc away for a while

If it's the only film playing for 6 months he would have been a certainty.

CaptainWagner likes this.
  8. CaptainWagner Not Today

I feel like this is unnecessary, and really unfair to the movies that do get released this year. Even if they don't think they can handle the ceremony, they ought to find a way to make it work. Especially since they gave an exemption for the theatrical run requirement. At the very least, that adds Bad Education into the mix as well as movies like Da Five Bloods and Mank. I want to see Hugh Jackman and Gary Oldman throw down for Best Actor!

9. Detective Conan Registered

Hmm...interesting. Could we possibly see the end of moviegoing? I’d say the answer to that question is a resounding no, and once a vaccine is finally developed attitudes will lean more positively in seeing a movie in theaters than just seeing it at home however I think this might prove to be a problem for movies still slated to open this year. Take Black Widow for example if theaters are indeed open by fall then there’s no guarantee it’ll do bank especially if theaters do stuff like limit audience attendance capacity to 50%, and I’m not sure if theaters will be widely be open even by fall. Not to mention a lack of vaccine contributing to the apprehension of heading to the movies. Audiences by in large aren’t likely to risk their health just to watch a feature in a dark room with strangers even if it is for the big event movies like WW84 and BW. I could be wrong, though.

#1159 Detective Conan, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  10. Detective Conan Registered

This is quite interesting, but it’s no surprise seeing that we’re going through trying times right now: This pandemic has cost jobs and lives — which makes people feel they could use a little lightness to escape the darkness of these times. I’m a little worried about how much this hurts independent movies. I’m starting to suspect those type of cinema won’t be seeing as much theatrical distribution as they used to. I think theaters will become almost exclusively comedies and blockbuster movies going forward, at least for awhile.

#1160 Detective Conan, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  11. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I only go to the theaters for blockbusters anyway (as do most of the general audience). So...that’s fine with me.

12. spiderman2 Registered

Not like they used to be though. I am 31 and i can remember when it would take like 9-12 months for movies to go from theaters to dvd and would be in theaters for like 5-6 months. Now its like 3-4 to go from theaters to dvd and most movies around were i live are only in theaters for about 1.5-2 months. The last time i can remember a movie being in theaters for like 4-5 months or so was the first frozen movie was like 5 months.

13. Wheels Groovy

I'm the type of person who would be in theatre all the time if I didn't have certain....obstacles. No one is going to going to drive me to see some indie art house picture lol.

I'm lucky to see the movies I do in theatres.

14. SPO2 Dalisay Locked down on hiatus

And since the old days movies have been released in different nations first, not to shield fans from spoilers but rather to slow down the pirates from making films available on your home TV, thus cutting the money.

But that tells us that for many it is not the theatre, it is the waiting for fresh content that gets us to go to the dark room and big crowds

15. DarkKnight88 Registered

These polls are worthless. I bet you’d have the same percentage from the same people 5 years ago saying the same thing.

I’d like to see how many of those polled were actually going to the theatre beforehand anyway. What are the age groups. Their moviegoing habits. Etc.

16. TheVileOne Registered

Here's my thing about these polls. How actually reliable is the sample size? They are surveying maybe what in the hundreds, maybe thousands?

That's a drop in the bucket.

psylockolussus likes this.
  17. Wheels Groovy

The idea of the Oscars being held this year is a joke. Barely anything has even been released digitally even. This isn't the1930s.

TheVileOne likes this.
  18. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
  19. MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

Coinciding with the launch of the new Tenet trailer? Not a coincidence.

20. Gothamsknight Registered

21. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

I think if Tenet gets pushed back, signifying movies aren't coming back this year, you'll suddenly see a deluge of content being released VOD.

Prison Mike likes this.
  22. James.B In search of the absurd

23. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I'm waiting for new dates and it seems like we haven't gotten any from the big studios since The New Mutants' 5th release date.

I'd be surprised if Mulan really opens next month. The marketing for it has been non existent since it was delayed.