The Coronavirus’ Impact On The Film Industry Thread

Who knew a Scream 5 would outgross a Matrix 4! Nobody lol
I didn't think Scream 5 was going to do well at all but here we are. But I suppose by comparison, the Matrix as a franchise is far more divisive than Scream.

AMC Theatres Quarterly Loss Increases to $287M, Overall Revenues Fall – The Hollywood Reporter
Despite box office grosses from Avatar: The Way of Water and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever during the holiday period, AMC Entertainment Holdings has seen its fourth quarter revenues fall and its net loss rise on a non-cash impairment write-down.

On Tuesday, the parent of AMC Theatres reported fourth quarter revenues at $990.9 million, down from a year-earlier $1.17 billion. Wall Street analysts had forecast revenues of $1.05 billion for the latest quarter.

The per-share loss came to 26 cents, against a year-earlier loss of 13 cents, and the fourth quarter loss came to $287.7 million, well up from a loss of $134.4 million in 2021, as AMC seeks to continue recovering from the COVID-19 crisis and contend with changing consumer habits in the age of streaming.
During the latest quarter, AMC reported a global attendance at 49.5 million, which was down on the 60 million patrons it had during the year-ago period as the company emerged from the depths of the pandemic.

CBS News - AMC will start charging more for better movie theater seats

You mean people are more content for waiting two months for a movie to come to streaming than paying $16 for a small popcorn and soda and shelling out extra cash for better seats?

im-shoked-im-shocked.gif

Business Insider - 39 more Regal movie theaters are closing in the US amid bankruptcy. See the full list. (January 2023)
  • Over three dozen Regal Cinemas locations in the US are expected to close.
  • Parent company Cineworld said it plans to reject their leases next month.
  • Cineworld filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in September.

The Wrap - AMC Entertainment Sees a ‘Multi-Year Recovery’ for Box Office
“With more major movies coming in 2023, we are highly confident that our multi-year recovery will continue to show considerable progress this year,” AMC CEO Adam Aron said in a statement. “But we cannot stress enough how crucial it is that for AMC to remain viable, we must continue to be agile and nimble not only in running our business day to day, but also in our continued raising of cash and decreasing the debt load on AMC Entertainment. As we have been saying for a long time, the industry-wide box office will not return to pre-pandemic norms before 2024 or 2025 at the earliest.”

Ah, the old “things will get worse before they get better” promise to investors. Good luck slinging bags of “trademark popcorn” in Walmarts in the most ironic business decision.

Even when I was a youngster I saw most via VHS rentals and on satellite/TV broadcasts.
Not all movies for me but most movies, sure I'll wait for streaming. It's expensive as hell to go to the movies so why would I waste $13-$16 on Argylle or Madame Web when I can just wait until they're either on streaming or shill out a couple bucks to rent them.

On the flip side, I paid $25 to see Dune Part Two in IMAX and that was totally worth it. The number of people waiting for streaming wouldn't be so high if we were getting consistent quality films.

Not all movies for me but most movies, sure I'll wait for streaming. It's expensive as hell to go to the movies so why would I waste $13-$16 on Argylle or Madame Web when I can just wait until they're either on streaming or shill out a couple bucks to rent them.

On the flip side, I paid $25 to see Dune Part Two in IMAX and that was totally worth it. The number of people waiting for streaming wouldn't be so high if we were getting consistent quality films.
Funny you should mention this, because tomorrow is the day that Madame
yeahhhhh-shades-on.gif

hits the web. :o

40 years ago I saw 4 to 5 movies a week in the theater....now I'm lucky to see 3 a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"