The Dark Knight The Dark Knight Fan Review Thread

Here's mine.

The Dark Knight was a masterpiece of course, great acting, cinematography, direction, everything, but what I want to talk about is the writing.

I love this dialogue.

"Harvey: We did. All of us who let scum like Maroni take over our city. In Rome, they would elect one man to watch over and protect their city.

Rachel: Harvey, the last person the Romans elected was a guy named Caesar and he never gave up his power."

hmmm if not for political corruption I wonder why Caesar didn't give up his power?

It is interesting to me that some people get hung up on the fact that this is derived from a comic mat I remind some that so was Road to Perdition and a History of Violence and lets not forget V for Vendetta.

Some get hung up on Batman vs. the Joker, its not just about that as much as the effect of Batman has on the city and the world. In the Long Halloween it isn't just the Joker who creates a world without rules, he does gain power because the world without rules has been created. It’s the same here...

There's no going back. You've changed things... forever.

I remember that scene where Mrs. Gordon finds out that her husband is dead and she creams at Batman, "You brought this upon us!" I wonder who is really responsible for all the anarchy? Who crossed the line first? Who is responsible? Batman inspired people to do good, but he also showed them that human law whether it be law enforcement or organized crime.

Bank Manager: "The criminals in this town used to believe in things: honor, respect! Look at you. What do you believe in, huh?"

It is interesting to note that cops and the mob have a lot in common, the departed blurred the lines between cop and criminal and this does the same with good and bad people. The mob believes the anarchist will bring things back to normal and Gordon thinks that his use of a vigilante will bring things back to normal. Even Batman believes it, he thinks that he can just hang his cape up and it will go back to normal.

Joker: "Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. To them, you're just a freak--like me."

But how can it go back to normal? Once one man successfully goes above the law what’s to stop another from doing it, one with a much different moral code.

"Fake Batman: What gives you the right? What's the difference between you and me?!
Batman: I'm not wearing hockey pads."

The only difference is the money. Brian Douglas has the same right as any of us to take up the mantle of the Bat. But Bruce wants it to be Dent, a Self made man within the law.

Brian the Fake batman is an interesting part of the film as I think in a way he represents us the batman fan. In a way everyone who read Batman as a kid wanted to be Batman. And so did he.

His character brings an interesting view point to the movie as it shows one of the many ways that Batman has inspired, or maybe affected is a better word, the city.

Batman inspired people to vote for good men to public office, this can be seen in Dent. Batman inspired people like Brian to become vigilantes like him and Batman also inspired....

Joker: Tell them your name.
Brian Douglas: Brian Douglas.
Joker: Are you the real Batman?
Brian Douglas: N-no.
Joker: No? No? Then why do you dress up like him? Woo, hoo hoo hoo!
Brian Douglas: He's a symbol that we don't have to be afraid of scum like you.
Joker: Yeah... you do, Brian. YOU REALLY DO. Yeah...
Joker: Shh shh shh shh. So you think Batman's made Gotham a better place? Hm? Look at me... LOOK AT ME! You see this is how crazy Batman's made Gotham. You want order in Gotham? Batman must take off his mask and turn himself in. Oh, and everyday he doesn't, people will die... starting tonight. I'm a man of my word.

...The Joker.

The Batman is responsible for the Joker.

Dent isn't crazy at the end of the film, he looks for justice, for those involved in killing Rachel. He gets the mob, the police, the joker, and then he comes back to the three. Batman has responsibility as he taught people that their are no rules by fighting outside the law, in one scene he even asks Alfred if he brought it down upon her, and he did in a way.

Dent blames himself for letting Rachel get killed. He was the closest to her so he should have known that he wasn't just bringing the heat down on himself.

Then he looks to Gordon...

Gordon: I know, I was here, trying to save her.
Two-Face: But you didn't!
Gordon: I couldn't!
Two-Face: Yes, you could have. If you had listened to me...if you stood up against corruption...instead of doing your deal with the devil!
Gordon: I was trying to fight the mob!

Two-Face refers to Batman as the Devil. Interesting, he blames all of this on Batman.
So Batman didn’t exactly kill people we know this but he does share in some remote responsibility for the creation of the person who did. He crossed the line first and escalation occurred.

It makes me wonder, is Batman forced into a totalitarian position? He wanted to pass on his mantle to Dent but he can’t, not just because of what happens to Dent, but because if he did someone evil might take up the mantle. He is therefore cursed and can never hang up the cape. Not only that but he has to now prevent more escalation, stop others from crossing the line. The machine at the end is just a symbol of how the position is too much power for one man. [/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']So we see in the commentary on vigilantism a break down of the modern idea of hero, and therefore superhero. They are all just men after all.

Dent is the self made man, he makes his own luck remember, and he has a belief that all men can make themselves good or bad by their work, nature not nurture. Two-face on the other hand doesn’t agree that all men are animals (or monsters, I believe that animals behave better than human beings sometimes) as the Joker believes. He has stopped believing in a good or bad nature of men, rather in nurture.

Two-Face: It's not about what I want! It's about what's FAIR! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel. And the only morality in a cruel world... is chance...unbiased, unprejudiced, and fair. His son's got the same chance she had: 50/50.

To him men just do what they do based on what fate has handed them. No longer does he make his own luck, the luck makes him. He sees in all men a little good and a little bad, we are all guilty now.

Batman: What happened to Rachel wasn't chance. We decided to act. We three.

In the end Batman becomes a hero not just because he inspires. The modern conception of a hero breaks down as the Dark Knight shows us that people are fallible even through the myth we create around them. Batman becomes more than a “hero” as he makes a sacrifice out of his love for the people. Although they maybe good or bad he still sees the possibility of a better future for them. In taking on Harvey’s crimes or his burden, he not only prevents all the criminals that Harvey put away from being re-released but makes an example of himself, not to take the law into your own hands.

If Batman had given in to the Jokers demands he would have saved a few lives, but after he was unmasked the joker would have killed him and he would have died a hero. After that the Joker would have taken control of the city and many more would die. Instead Batman maintains control of the city. He lives long enough to become the villain.

He is the hero we can’t see. Can you avenge evil without becoming it? Activism can become fascism in a sense, but more on that later.

Part 2
Nolan’s films have a huge thematic draw toward vengeance and deception. It is odd that the only character that tells the truth in the Dark Knight is killed off.

Each time Nolan kills off his leading women the men are killed symbolically with them. In Memento Leo’s last memory is laying on the floor bleeding. This spurs him living the rest of his life looking for vengeance, which because of his condition ends up being a lie as everyone around him deceives him. The Prestige is one big deception layered on deceptions, when Hugh Jackman’s wife dies drowning the next scene in which you see him he has his face in water. As if he is trying to drown with her. The movie then becomes about his constant vengeance toward the man he thinks killed his wife.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are no exception. Batman’s entire persona of wearing a mask is a deception, Bruce Wayne is a fake, and then there is the constant deception of fear. Ra’s deceives Bruce in Begins and so on. Vengeance….well Batman is vengeance.

The Dark Knight takes it to another level entirely. There are constant deceptions going on. Every character except Rachel is constantly lying, and like in all of Nolan’s other films these lies only make things worse. But first the batman films are about more than just vengeance and deception.

Many say that hero is only as good as his villains, with Batman especially in the Nolan films the villains are vices to the hero’s virtue.

In Batman Begins we have the Scarecrow, who shows us on of the main themes in the film.

"Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one’s conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow."

In this line the Dr. Crane shows us not only what he is doing but what Batman is doing. He is the villain of fear reflecting Batman’s fear. A Bat is a Jungian archetype. Scarecrow is just uncontrolled though he actually uses it to destroy people, thus he is a vice of Batman’s use of Fear. Ra’s is the other theme of the movie, Justice. Nolan is very tricky with giving us villains in the comic book but with new spins that not only adapt them to a more recognizable world, it also adds depth to them and attaches them to Batman. Ra’s is an ideal just like Batman. They are symbols that can never be destroyed because if someone ever does kill him, someone else will step up to take his or her place. It is an interesting ideal of immortality and both work toward inspiration of justice. The thing that makes Ra’s a vice is the lack of compassion that controls Batman’s zeal. Justice without mercy will end up killing people who do not deserve to die. In other words, Justice without mercy isn’t justice.

The Dark Knight is the other side of the coin though. Where as the villains in Batman Begins help explain the creation of Batman. The Dark Knight says why Bruce can never complete his goals as Batman. It is the effects to Begins causes.

First we have the Joker who is obviously a mix of chaos and evil. The Joker is the only plausible reaction to his extreme behavior in the city everything about them are opposites except for the fact that they both break rules. The Joker has no explanation where as the Batman does. The Joker upsets the psychoanalytic reduction with his multiple back stories; the Batman adheres to the hero’s journey and the psychoanalytic reduction works well for him. There is one regard in which they are similar though. And that is that they both break rules. Or more to the point they both stand outside of human law. Batman stands outside and seeks a higher law as he was created in a world where human law was corrupt. The Joker stands outside of human law to annihilate delusions that human beings have of law, and he took his queue from batman. The Joker could be viewed that way but in all reality he is more of a force of evil than a vice. He is a vice only in that he is a consequence of Batman actions, in a sense he is a part of Batman. Another interesting explanation for his actions is that he knows he can’t die. Because he is pure chaos, if someone kills him, he will just comeback. Chaos is an inevitable part of life and of human nature.

Batman had to cause chaos in a world where the mob ruled in order to make things right again. But now that he is in charge he wants it to go back to the law, because he knows that even in this new world he has created he cannot exist. He is in violation of the same order he represents. This brings us to the most complex villain batman has, Two Face, who isn’t really a villain. Harvey Dent and Batman are, in a way, philosophically the same guy. They both represent order, they both fight to protect their world, they both love Rachel, and they are both referred to as Knights. Even more than that Harvey is the White Knight. What does that mean? It basically means that Harvey Dent is the perfect Batman. Let me say that again. Harvey Dent is the perfect Batman. This makes one think and for anyone who has read the script there are some interesting things left out. One is that Reese expresses his disappointment in that its just a rich playboy who is Batman when he is talking to Lucius. The second is when Dent states publically that he is Batman the SWAT officers can’t take their eyes off him. This could be interpreted as they are amazed he was the one that beat them up, or more likely they look at him with total awe that this man doesn’t just fight crime in the day but at night. Which makes me think that many of the people within Batman’s world don’t even for a second think that it is Bruce Wayne, more likely they think that Batman is some creation of Dent and Gordon.

That said, Wayne knows that the end of Batman lies in a man like Dent. He is the Batman in a world where Batman doesn’t exist. However, the joker sees this new world they are building as boring, thus we have a transformation.

Here is where I really have to applaud Nolan’s writing. Goyer probably explained the Long Halloween to him and then Nolan took it to the extreme. The Long Halloween brings a Gangster element back to Batman, this we know. Harvey Dent’s slogan is a key to understanding just how much was added to the character though. “I believe in Harvey Dent” comes from the graphic novel and is an obvious homage to the opening lines in The Godfather. The lines explain how the American Justice system fails and gives away to corruption.

“I believe in America. America has made my fortune. And I raised my daughter in American fashion. I gave her freedom, but I taught her never to dishonor her family. She found a boyfriend. Not an Italian. She went to the movies with him. She stayed out late. I didn’t protest. Two months ago, he took her for a drive with another boyfriend. They made her drink whiskey. And then they tried to take advantage of her. She resisted. She kept her honor. So they beat her like an animal. . . . Then I said to my wife for justice we must go to Don Corleone.”

Heroes are symbols to people. It’s obvious that in Dent lies people’s faith of Gotham’s justice system. He is after all the first credible line of Justice the city has had in decades. However more is being said her for what Dent represents. Dent represents more than just America as well. Though he and Batman both could be related to the war on terror, and I know they have. What is being said is far bigger than that. Dent represents more than America. He represents human institutions, rules, law (human law to be specific), and order. So his fall is interesting as it shows that human duality between good and evil or order and chaos is inescapable. Communism or Capitalism doesn’t matter. The Joker, or Chaos, destroyed the best of them. Does this mean that all rules are meaningless? No, Batman knows that with knowledge that Dent has fallen people will lose faith in law and more people will die.

The character of Rachel is significant in the lives of both Batman and Dent. She exists as a sort of fulcrum to balance them. She represents truth in a way. She always urges both Batman and Dent to tell the truth because she know that in reality if you don’t face the consequences of the problem then the problem only worsens. In all of Nolan’s films lies are used to make things better but they only end up provoking the problem. Rachel is the only character that doesn’t lies to accomplish their goals in the film and she dies. She faced the truth up front. In a way when the other characters sacrificed the truth to get ahead they were sacrificing her, just like in The Prestige when Christian Bale’s character’s wife kills herself because he won’t give up his secret. So lies will save people from the truth but they can’t stop the problem. The question in the movie presents itself to the most moral persons. It asks when someone you love is about to die, do you lie to them? Would it be moral to tell the truth? “Lie like I lied Gordon”. And he has lied in more ways than one, he lied saying he was Batman; he lied saying everything was alright to Rachel, and the Dawn really is never coming. The Night is here to stay.

Concluding
Harvey Two Face is where Nolan makes an old character truly a new one. The fact that Dent worked in internal affairs was brilliant. The name Two Face coming from that job is also brilliant and it works realistically as well. It shows what kind of a man Dent was. He was a good guy who would get to know you but would then if he found any little bit of corruption around you he would turn around and attack you. This helped get him the name ‘White Knight’, because he expected everyone to be perfectly innocent. Later on in the film He warns Gordon that there are corrupt men in his unit. This shows us that at the end of the film Nolan isn’t portraying Two-Face as a man with multiple personality disorder but rather a man that has given up on his fellow man’s ability to enact justice. Because no one is 100 percent innocent even him. So at the end of the film he isn’t crazy, only a little deranged but still he thinks he is right in what he is doing. He is still enacting justice but since he has given up on man he looks to a higher power for justice and finds only chance. Unbiased, unprejudiced, fair. Where as the Joker sees chance as something that takes away responsibility, Dent sees it as an inescapable prison that takes away the control he once had over his life. In the script it specifically states Dent doesn’t want to shoot Batman as he does. And when Dent falls, literally and figuratively, so does any hope for the Batman completing his task. “I think you and I are destined to do this forever”, the Joker says as the question of evil is left hanging, literally and figuratively.

The film is a masterpiece that speaks on human order or institutions. It speaks about the fallibility of the heroes or activists who create institutions to better their fellow man. When an activist group gains power the power can corrupt it into totalitarianism or fascism. Most political parties are created by activist groups remember. I am reminded of real life examples of this, rebels who fight corruption in Africa who end up becoming the just as corrupt as the men they fought against, eventually rebels rally against them. I am reminded of America, once revolutionaries against a king, now viewed as oppressive force within the world.

Batman’s actions at the end of the film show us what makes him a Dark Knight. He shows us that we can choose to intervene in chance. As he decided to give up his power and continue the fight than to use the power he gained as a hero to oppress the fight. His lie is a sacrifice of power that makes people realize that shows people the importance of the law and deems him an agent outside of the law evil. This lie will have a toll to pay though. It will probably destroy him inside.

Harvey really says it all though…

“You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

just watched the Movie again........and it gets better and better every time i watch it.......it deserves every cent it made.
Now i go to bed....i had a few trinks to much and its good so.

:hoboj:Lets put a Smile on this Faceee

Cool stuff, Dankalel! Just a few comments of mine:

"Fake Batman: What gives you the right? What's the difference between you and me?!
Batman: I'm not wearing hockey pads."

The only difference is the money. Brian Douglas has the same right as any of us to take up the mantle of the Bat. But Bruce wants it to be Dent, a Self made man within the law.
I interpreted the "hockey pads" quote as being more professional than any of the copycats, in addition to having more money. Batman doesn't wear hockey pads - he utilizes real armor. He's not playing around or treating this as a game or hero worship. He has his no-gun rule, which the copycats do not follow because they don't have the training that he has, nor the determination of having such a rule.

But yes, you're right. On the outside, they have as much of a right to act as Batman does. (Which is, legally, no right at all, but..anyway. :oldrazz: ) Batman just gives himself the right, and takes it away from others who he doesn't deem worthy enough.

Gordon: I know, I was here, trying to save her.
Two-Face: But you didn't!
Gordon: I couldn't!
Two-Face: Yes, you could have. If you had listened to me...if you stood up against corruption...instead of doing your deal with the devil!
Gordon: I was trying to fight the mob!

Two-Face refers to Batman as the Devil. Interesting, he blames all of this on Batman.
I don't think you have to interpret it that way, although you certainly are able to, by the way the story went.

The initial way that I interpreted it, is that Gordon gambled by hiring cops in his special unit whom he knew were not 100% trustworthy. So, in a way, he made his own deal with the devil that did not involve Batman. If all of his cops were as trustworthy as Stephens (aside from being manipulated by the Joker), then they wouldn't have gotten into the hopeless situation that they did, even if Gordon worked with Batman the entire time.

The character of Rachel is significant in the lives of both Batman and Dent. She exists as a sort of fulcrum to balance them. She represents truth in a way. She always urges both Batman and Dent to tell the truth because she know that in reality if you don’t face the consequences of the problem then the problem only worsens. In all of Nolan’s films lies are used to make things better but they only end up provoking the problem. Rachel is the only character that doesn’t lies to accomplish their goals in the film and she dies.
I did notice that, especially going through the script. Rachel was the only character in the entire film who does not deceive, and she dies. The other good people who deceive - Gordon, Dent, Alfred, and Batman - do so to keep up an image which they feel will help people in the long run. Will it? The film doesn't have an easy answer to that. Maybe lying to the public about Dent's true fate is the right thing to do since it will keep up their spirits and keep inspiring good. Even if the truth comes out later, if good came out of it initially, who's to say it wasn't the right thing to do?

What is clear is that the remaining people who keep up this image have suffered in the film, and they have to carry the burden this secret as well. There is always a price to pay no matter what you do.

In the script it specifically states Dent doesn’t want to shoot Batman as he does.
Which script is this? The one that's been going around the Internet? It only states that Dent "looks a little disappointed" that the coin came up heads for him. The bit about Batman goes as such:

DENT: You first.

He points the gun at Batman. FLIPS the coin. TAILS. He SHOOTS. Batman COLLAPSES to the ground, clutching his gut.

Dent doesn't feel remorse about it, but he also doesn't feel any other emotion. He merely becomes the coinkeeper.

Cool stuff, Dankalel! Just a few comments of mine:

I interpreted the "hockey pads" quote as being more professional than any of the copycats, in addition to having more money. Batman doesn't wear hockey pads - he utilizes real armor. He's not playing around or treating this as a game or hero worship. He has his no-gun rule, which the copycats do not follow because they don't have the training that he has, nor the determination of having such a rule.

But yes, you're right. On the outside, they have as much of a right to act as Batman does. (Which is, legally, no right at all, but..anyway. :oldrazz: ) Batman just gives himself the right, and takes it away from others who he doesn't deem worthy enough.

Agreed. He is a good Ceasar who takes the their right away because he probably doesn't want them to get hurt.

I don't think you have to interpret it that way, although you certainly are able to, by the way the story went.

The initial way that I interpreted it, is that Gordon gambled by hiring cops in his special unit whom he knew were not 100% trustworthy. So, in a way, he made his own deal with the devil that did not involve Batman. If all of his cops were as trustworthy as Stephens (aside from being manipulated by the Joker), then they wouldn't have gotten into the hopeless situation that they did, even if Gordon worked with Batman the entire time.

I think that it is meant to be interpreted both ways. Dent is in a place now where everyone is guilty. His Manichean veiw of the world has broken and the Duality is now within him and everyone else. All men are guilty and now he is subjecting everyone to fate's justice, or what he thinks is fate's justice.

I did notice that, especially going through the script. Rachel was the only character in the entire film who does not deceive, and she dies. The other good people who deceive - Gordon, Dent, Alfred, and Batman - do so to keep up an image which they feel will help people in the long run. Will it? The film doesn't have an easy answer to that. Maybe lying to the public about Dent's true fate is the right thing to do since it will keep up their spirits and keep inspiring good. Even if the truth comes out later, if good came out of it initially, who's to say it wasn't the right thing to do?

What is clear is that the remaining people who keep up this image have suffered in the film, and they have to carry the burden this secret as well. There is always a price to pay no matter what you do.

Ah, the Grand Inquisitor. A lie is in itself an ommision of the truth and in that is isn't a good thing. However, I believe in judging the act of a lie everything must be taken into account including intentions. And as just a man that becomes impossible to do. I will agree that lying is the lesser evil in many situations. If you are hiding Jews from the Nazis you don't say to the Nazis "I cannot tell a lie, I am hiding Jews". That would be aiding the Nazis in murder. The film takes this to an interesting level as it shows people in terrible situations where people need to believe that the dawn is coming in order to keep living, even if the dawn never is coming. Believing the lie prevents worse things from happening. If someone holds a gun to your loved one's head and you say "yeah he's gonna shoot you". That would make you an *******. The problem with saying "everything will be alright" is that in the end your loved one still gets shot, and you told her it would be alright. Lies don't solve the problem as much a postpone it. Its rough.

Which script is this? The one that's been going around the Internet? It only states that Dent "looks a little disappointed" that the coin came up heads for him. The bit about Batman goes as such:

Dent doesn't feel remorse about it, but he also doesn't feel any other emotion. He merely becomes the coinkeeper.

I don't think you emphasize the duality of Dent's situation. Dent fought alongside with these guys trying to stop corruption. He doesn't want to hurt a child. But in his deranged state of mind he believes it to be a just action. ("Its not about what I want, its about whats fair"") Half of him wants to to show mercy because he knows he just as guilty as they are. The other half needs justice. He needs order but the Joker has convinced him that the only order is chaos, an impossiblity. And all this without a split personality disorder, though one might result from this. Does he feel remorse? Half does.

Anyways thank you Anita, I really dig feedback. And I loved this film. I mean the irony of the Joker being saved by a rule is amazing. Safety vs. Freedom is a rough road.

writte in youtube '' a dark knight last scene''
its only the sound.

but just to hear the ending is briliant. one of the best endings in a comicbook movie.
the ending with gordons dialoge makes the movie IMO. it really seperates batman from any other comicbook character.

The ending is just ridiculously beautiful. Didn't think Begins could be beat, but it sure was!

The Dark Knight

So everyone has been going on about how great 'The Dark Knight' is, that I finnally went out and rented the DVD. Let me tell you something.. THEY ARE WRONG. This is a terrible film! Allow me to list the reasons why -

1) It's premise is soo stupid and absurd. Everyone keeps going on about how realistic the film is, 'realism this', 'realism that', when nothing in this film is realistic. Infact this is one of the LEAST realistic films I've ever seen!

2) The story was just nonsense, despite what everyone says about the story being really tight and the dialogue being smart and clever. I mean.. time travel? What the hell!

3) The performances are BAD. They're all saying how the performances are, like, Oscar worthy! WHAT?! Let me tell you something, Martin Lawrence hasn't been funny since the first Bad Boys, and it really shows here. I mean did we even watch the same movie?!

Okay, even I admit some of the taglines for the film were good. I especially liked 'He's About To Get Medieval On You', thats actually kinda funny. I take it back, this movie is pretty good.

lol you funny bastard!!!! :) i've never actually seen that film, is it really that bad?

lol you funny bastard!!!! :) i've never actually seen that film, is it really that bad?
It's pretty terrible, yeah. I posted this as a note on my Facebook, and I got replies along the lines of "What are you talking about?! The Dark Knight is the greatest film ever! ..And wtf Martin Lawrence wasn't in it!"

lol i'm suprised you didn't get any obsessed fans threatening to kill you!

The Dark Knight is a GOOD movie. It would have been a PERFECT movie if they had changed the following (in my opinion):

1. Cut the bat-pod flip up the wall. Yes, this is a minor nit-pick, but it took me out of the moment just a little. It was such a great action sequence - it felt entirely REAL- until the bat-pod turn up the wall.

2. Left Two-Face a mystery. Harvey Dent was great, and I found it a little ridiculous that suddenly Dent would turn psychotic. He needed to disappear, and reemerge in the next film as Two-Face.

3. The film should have ended with the Joker. The joker is the most personal and dangerous villain to Batman. The ending of the film should have symbolized that dynamic. It should have been INTIMATE, PERSONAL, and extremely DANGEROUS. The whole ferry scene should have been CUT. The whole Batman in the building using sonar should have been CUT. "When the chips are down these civillized people will eat each other." This should have been a more intimate and personal attack. I would have loved to have seen the Joker go after Gordon in the end and Batman save the day. Maybe at Gordon's house and/or a shut down amusement park in the rain. It would have been an awesome end. Gordon almost broken from the Joker killing a family member in front of him - Batman comes in, saves the day - The Joker is just laughing as the cops arrive. Gordon is sobbing. Dent is missing. Some how the death is connected to Batman. He flees. THE END.

Would have been cool if Nolan ditched the cliche that the third act has to be the biggest and boldest, and just settled for an intimate end...without all the cgi, etc.

The Dark Knight is a GOOD movie. It would have been a PERFECT movie if they had changed the following (in my opinion):

1. Cut the bat-pod flip up the wall. Yes, this is a minor nit-pick, but it took me out of the moment just a little. It was such a great action sequence - it felt entirely REAL- until the bat-pod turn up the wall.

2. Left Two-Face a mystery. Harvey Dent was great, and I found it a little ridiculous that suddenly Dent would turn psychotic. He needed to disappear, and reemerge in the next film as Two-Face.

3. The film should have ended with the Joker. The joker is the most personal and dangerous villain to Batman. The ending of the film should have symbolized that dynamic. It should have been INTIMATE, PERSONAL, and extremely DANGEROUS. The whole ferry scene should have been CUT. The whole Batman in the building using sonar should have been CUT. "When the chips are down these civillized people will eat each other." This should have been a more intimate and personal attack. I would have loved to have seen the Joker go after Gordon in the end and Batman save the day. Maybe at Gordon's house and/or a shut down amusement park in the rain. It would have been an awesome end. Gordon almost broken from the Joker killing a family member in front of him - Batman comes in, saves the day - The Joker is just laughing as the cops arrive. Gordon is sobbing. Dent is missing. Some how the death is connected to Batman. He flees. THE END.

Would have been cool if Nolan ditched the cliche that the third act has to be the biggest and boldest, and just settled for an intimate end...without all the cgi, etc.

1- maybe your alone in this.. but every time i saw it (heheh) the whole theater was like Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at that part lol

2- not ridiculous, but wouldnt have been a bad idea either...

3- ummm Debatable.... but your entitled to your opinion...

1. Aint a very easy vechile to do a U Turn in.

2. I found it good how they did Havey's transfomation to Two Face. Rachels death sent him to the edge but Joker Corrupted him to go ever the edge and became someone else

3. The Joker like Nolan said is like "Jaws" he comes back forth but he wanted to see "When the chips are down these civillized people will eat each other" Did it happen no? No. The Joker for the first time in the film had lost against the people of Gotham. IMO It was best to end the film with Gordan,Dent,Batman

1. Aint a very easy vechile to do a U Turn in.

2. I found it good how they did Havey's transfomation to Two Face. Rachels death sent him to the edge but Joker Corrupted him to go ever the edge and became someone else

3. The Joker like Nolan said is like "Jaws" he comes back forth but he wanted to see "When the chips are down these civillized people will eat each other" Did it happen no? No. The Joker for the first time in the film had lost against the people of Gotham. IMO It was best to end the film with Gordan,Dent,Batman

I see your point here. It started with the triumverate, and it should indeed end with the triumverate. Good point. And the Joker is sort of the shark that navigates between these men and their plans, tearing them down, but Batman doesn't fall. Makes sense. I guess, it's such a deep film that you really have to watch it a few times to understand Nolan's intentions.

I see your point here. It started with the triumverate, and it should indeed end with the triumverate. Good point. And the Joker is sort of the shark that navigates between these men and their plans, tearing them down, but Batman doesn't fall. Makes sense. I guess, it's such a deep film that you really have to watch it a few times to understand Nolan's intentions.

He does fall, but he survives the fall to fight on.:cwink:

Thats figuratively, I know the literal is up for debate

Last edited:
Alright,alright already just stop it already.
DANG blasted I am so upset.I watched the Dark Knight over the weekend
and I was dang near tears at the end when the drove away on the bike.
WOW!!!!I must admit I am a DC fan but really I have always learned more towards Marvel being a Bigger Marvel fan.In Dc I have only ever really followed Superman and Batman.I saw Iron man Loved it saw the Incredible Hulk It was just okay.TDK was it.It went places Phsycologically that Ang Lee's Hulk was going but not with the sucess that TDK went.I watching and I was scared for Batman.It wasn't like all other Superhero movies were your like okay I know he will find a way out.Batman was really stuck.He also couldn't save everyone he was so vunerable.Joker was freakin' nuts and at the same time you almost felt sorry for him.WOW!!! I was blown away.It was so phsycological and yet filled with action.
(Spoiler ahead stop here if you don't know what happens to Harvey Dent)

I just wish Two face hadn't died.I almost see him as Harvey Dent more then two face.Bruce Wayne in that scene where he asked Rachel did you mean it.He then walks up to her kisses her and then just...just walks away from her.Talk about the man.He was telling her you can still only get as close as I allow.He just walked away.Racheal was tough boy.She was like the emotion of Batman,Harvey was like the goodness of Batman and Gorden was like the Justice of Batman.I really can't explain it.It was like watching one person broken down into four.I guess that one person would be Gothom.Anyway hat's off the TDK it wasn't just a Superhero movie it was an Epic.I really woudn't even call it a Superhero movie it almost cheapens it.
I loved Iron Man but Iron man was entertainment this was somthing different.

Last edited:
yea Iron-Man was your typical summer blockbuster, great actions scenes, some great lines and performances, but TDK for me was just so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"