The Dark Knight Returns....Again

I hated Dark Knight Strikes Again, but I'm liking the first three issues of DK3 because since Frank Miller hates Superman Brian Azzarello is there to balance him out as he wrote Superman: For Tomorrow.

I didn't like For Tomorrow that much. I may have to re-read it one of these days, though.

I hated Dark Knight Strikes Again, but I'm liking the first three issues of DK3 because since Frank Miller hates Superman Brian Azzarello is there to balance him out as he wrote Superman: For Tomorrow.

Frank Miller does not hate Superman. That's a tired meme that loses strength everyday.

I felt that For Tomorrow sucked and most other Superman fans feel the same.

The Superman ideas in this story are all from Miller. Azzarelllo is just there to lend a man with health issues a helping hand in finessing his already existing ideas and putting them on a page.

I agree on how poor For Tomorrow is, great art but so boring

They were building this up for the longest time...you figured they would have most of it written/drawn before the first issue was even released to avoid delays....it ruins the story when theres 2-3 month gaps between issues

Who is that on the cover of issue #6 with Batman?

Who is that on the cover of issue #6 with Batman?

The solicits say "is Gotham ready for a new Batgirl?" so Im guessing thats her new costume, not sure who she'll be tho

Okay, whoever said Miller doesn't hate Superman, come on
he's out of the ice for five minutes before he gets beaten to a pulp by his daughter and sunk into the ocean forever

WTF ? Excuse me Mr Miller and Mr Snyder man can we have a story where SUPERMAN ISN'T SOMEBODY'S ***** ?

Where the **** is this Superman ?

1762274-10gn5.jpg

Hell, I even prefer this Superman

get

Sorry, as weird as Neal Adams Superman is at least he doesn't take anyone's crap
url]

Anyway, I've really lost patience with this series - I mean it isn't the cluster **** that was DKSA, but the genius and brilliance of DKR seems to have utterly faded.

The story and characters are the most basic and one-dimensional I've seen in a long time.

Even a badass Wonder Woman can't save this book !

Last edited:
Anyone else pick up The Last Crusade one-shot? Pretty damn solid but it definitely felt more like Azzarello than Miller but while JRJR's art was excellent.

However, it lost me at the end. It doesn't feel complete to me. I was more curious in seeing the fallout that resulted from what happens to Jason and how that played out rather than what lead to what happened to Jason.

Otherwise, a pretty solid read. Just wish DKIII would maintain it's schedule.

I read it, liked it as well. I feel JRJ is perfect for tales in Miller's TDKR world. The story fit in the world well, compared to the Miller-Lee Batman & Robin series.

I read DKSA several years back after finishing a Miller TPB that had Year One and Returns, as well as another, I think Halloween themed comic.

I read a few negative things about DKSA but figured how can it not be good, after DKR? I don't really remember much about it at all, I remember it being a bit of a struggle to get through, the art wasn't great, I think Dick Grayson's portrayal left a bad impression.

But, that's a good question. I wonder how much it could be improved if somebody else went back and completely re-illustrate the entire thing, with more attention to detail.

I need to go back and re-read it, cause now I'm thinking I may appreciate it more than I did at the time I read it. How can it not be good, after DKR? Haha

the clumsy art is part of TDKSA madness and charm.

While I wish the release schedule was consistent, issue 5 was still pretty solid despite the fact that DKR has more storytelling in the first five pages than DKIII has in the first five issues.

What's the general consensus on DK III? Is it worth reading? I recall reading that DK II was terrible so I'm on the fence about reading the third installment.

I've only read the first two issues and because of the delays, #3-5 have been put on my backlog. I'll wait until the last issue drops before I re-read from the start.

Definitely better than DKSA. There's no doubt about it.

I've been digging DK3 overall but the mini comics are seeming more and more pointless

On top of that, Miller's art is getting sloppier and more abstract and the coloring doesn't work on his stuff at ALL

I thought part of the idea of the minis was to let other artists play in the DK world? But it's all been Miller except that one Risso Wonder Woman story. I like Miller's art a lot in the Atom one, but the rest have seemed rushed.

Also the Batgirl costume for Carrie is horrible. Purple and green?

Has this finished yet?
Nope. Penultimate issue (#8) comes out in March if it's not delayed. Final issue (#9) should come out in spring...

Miller does hate Superman I feel. But he definitely hates Dick more. He hates Dick with a passion.

Miller does hate Superman I feel. But he definitely hates Dick more. He hates Dick with a passion.

He's said different in the past, I don't think he hates him so much as he just doesn't care abit him as he does Batman.

The final issue is sure to make the "Miller hates Superman" crowd eat plenty of crow. Great series. Blew DK2 straight outta the water.

Haven't gotten to the last issue yet (I'm at #6), but never ever have I thought that Miller hates Superman.

People clearly have problems which distance the characters a little bit from their status quo. Even if it makes sense in the context and is perfectly explained in the story.

I just finished Dark Knight III: The Master Race and while I feel it isn’t quite as good as the Dark Knight Returns (it was never going to be) its mountains better than Dark Knight Strikes Again. As a Superman fan first and foremost it was the best he’s been portrayed in Miller’s Dark Knight Universe. This story is as much Superman’s as it is Batman’s and maybe even a little more so dare I say. I do think in many ways this feels almost like Miller’s apology to the Superman fans. For me the greatest things were having Superman not fight until the very end. So when he did (and boy did he) it was an incredibly fulfilling moment that you feel we’ve been waiting for across the trilogy of Dark Knight books. The final issue was maybe my favourite part of the whole story and I loved the final panel with Clark and Lara. I now can’t wait for Miller’s Superman Year One and Dark Knight IV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"