The Director of THOR 3

I thought of Brad Bird recently as well when the Tomorrowland previews came out. He'd be someone I'd look at with the Disney connection.

They need to aim high. We still haven't got the quintessential Thor film yet, like Winter Soldier or IM1 (in terms of the solo films).

Brad Bird or as someone else mentioned one from Neil Marshall (though he has said he doesnt like CBM's), Rupert Wyatt or Duncan Jones would all be very good picks.

Duncan Jones has always been on my radar, especially when he sent a congratulatory tweet to James Gunn regarding Guardians and saying he was trying to "crack the Marvel code". He'd definitely be a major get, but whenever I think about Jones I think Inhumans. :word:

Last edited:
Predicting something like this is impossible, Marvel will go for someone completely unexpected

Predicting something like this is impossible, Marvel will go for someone completely unexpected

I don't know that anyone is actually trying to predict who it will be. People are just saying their preferences or throwing out ideas.

Not really, with the exception of Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange Marvel rarely goes with obvious choices.

Mjölnir;27291523 said:
I can vividly imagine the mob with torches and pitchforks outside your door right now... :woot:

"Thor, you're breaking my heart!"

I like the idea of Jones doing a CBM but call me crazy... I would love to see Brannaugh back.

While my nostalgia loves WILLOW, it objectively is not a good movie. So even though little Ronny Howard has turned into a fine multi-genre filmmaker, maybe this particular genre is not his milieu.

Sergei Bodrov. Watch Mongol if you haven't yet. His most recent film isn't very well received but it still falls in the fantasy genre and he certainly knows how to set up a big fantasy action scene.

My other suggestion is Peter Jackson but I'm not sure if he'd ask for too much money.

After watching the Hobbit trilogy in its unnecessary and borderline perplexing entirety, I think Peter Jackson is broken. I wouldn't want him anywhere the MCU.

I'd love to have Alan Taylor back, if Marvel doesn't restrict him as much.

However, considering they want Thor 3 to have a TWS-typse renewal of the character, they might need someone with an all new vision.

It's been over a year and I am still saying Francis Lawrence.

Out of the box thinking here...

Jonathan Frakes.

Like he says in the article, big grain of salt, but:

http://schmoesknow.com/rumor-marvels-director-shortlist-thor-ragnarok/33933/

Edwards, Reeves, or McKay

Reeves would be great, but I think Fox locks him in a cage between Apes movies
Edwards, I dunno, he's got some rising heat, but I heard very mixed reactions to Godzilla
McKay seems the most up Marvel's alley, that out-of-the-box "I don't know if this is gunna work" type

I guess we'll see in time

This is just them making an article out of the "Marvel Intern" from Reddit. That guy has been proven to be a phony. Nothing to see there.

Would LOVE Reeves to get the gig but Apes 3 comes out in 2017 so that ain't gonna happen. Edwards would be a decent choice, Godzilla really grew on me on repeat viewings, but again he is tied up with the SW spin off and G2. So that would only leave McKay.

Has that reedit intern guy been outed as a fraud now? Was pretty obvious he was anyway.

Yea, Apes 3 is scheduled for the same month as Thor 3... July 2017. Matt Reeves would be an ideal choice, but we can obviously scratch him off the list unless something catastrophic happens with the next Apes movie.

I thought Godzilla was merely kinda OK. Wasn't a big fan of the narrative throughline at all. All of the monster stuff was cool, but not anything groundbreaking or something we haven't seen before. The human characters had zero emotional resonance with me after Bryan Cranston's character bit the dust.

Apples vs. oranges to an extent, but I actually thought Thor 2 was a much better overall film than Godzilla, and a slightly better directed one. Both films had way too many questionable directorial decisions though. I wouldn't trust Edwards with an MCU film at this point. I like some of his instincts, but I think he needs more polish. Let him ply his craft for a few years and then maybe he can do Thor 5 or Nova 2 or something. :)

Brad Bird would be my absolute favorite. This isn't evidence based and just stems from a rather vague vibe, but if Tomorrowland is hugely successful, I get the feeling that he would rather do something original than helm an existing franchise. Sell Bird on Ragnarok, Feige! We can do this!

Bird is one of those guys who is on every dream list whenever a new CBM gets announced
and with good reason, dude's a fantastic director

but he seems to like doing his own thing, and different things, not to mention they are finally supposedly working on Incredibles 2, which is his superhero baby. He also seems like the type who would be heavily involved in the script phase, so I very much doubt he wants to be on the Marvel timeline and rush through the film

I personally would love to see Branagh back as director, Thor is my favourite phase 1 movie and one of my favourite MCU movies period. Only last years efforts made it fall down the pecking order for me, so I would be happy to have him back. I really wanted him to do the sequel also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"