The Elder Scrolls VI

Yeah it sucks for the PS crowd. But I guess that’s one advantage to this and Dragon Age 4 being years away; I won’t be tempted to buy a next gen system for quite a while.

For now at least, we have the Skyrim anniversary edition, which has some new content. But as I understand it, it pales in comparison to the Bruma mod and other stuff that you can’t access on a PS4.

Ah, these are the hard times for PS4 gamers lol.

I think the exclusivity will be better in the long run. it really seems like BGS wants to be as comfortable as possible and have as many resources as possible to make the games they want to make without be forced to release more Fallout 76s or something. BGS also had Morrowind as an exclusive, and Oblivion was a timed exclusive too.

Yeah, and the good thing about knowing this now is that it gives the PS gamers time to make a choice. I’m glad this didn’t happen a couple years from now when (presumably) a lot of us have the next gen systems and then BOOM, Microsoft buys Bethesda and people who spent a grand on a PS5 are screwed if they want to play ES6. At least this way, we know that if we want to continue to play in the ES sandbox, we’ll have to trade up. And honestly, after some of the boneheaded moves Sony had made over the years (more in their film division than anywhere else), I don’t feel too bad about taking my money elsewhere. I’m still holding a grudge over the way they ruined The Dark Tower, lol.

Playing Forza Horizon 5, the environments available on a game that’s coming out so far in advance of ES6 really make me optimistic of how good the environments could look for this.

Yeah it was always going to take ages. I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns up at the end of this generation cycle

Yeah it was always going to take ages. I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns up at the end of this generation cycle
Yeah, or maybe even a launch/early title for next gen.

It’s insane to think about how far away this game still is. At this rate, it could honestly be a full 20 years between Skyrim and ES6. I don’t think it will be quite that long but it wouldn’t totally surprise me. Still, Starfield looks so good and the prices on XBox Series X have come down enough now that I’m considering getting one. I didn’t think Starfield would captivate me when it was first announced but… yeah, I never should have doubted Bethesda. It looks amazing.

Anyway, I do hope that Microsoft has plans for Bethesda’s properties beyond just gaming. I think that if that Fallout TV series is a success, there’s a chance we could see an Elder Scrolls series or movie. Maybe. Though I suppose it doesn’t bode well that the D&D movie (which is what Elder Scrolls was originally based on; as I understand it, they came up with the concept while playing a D&D campaign) tanked. But perhaps a TV series could find success.

Last edited:
It’s insane to think about how far away this game still is. At this rate, it could honestly be a full 20 years between Skyrim and ES6. I don’t think it will be quite that long but it wouldn’t totally surprise me. Still, Starfield looks so good and the prices on XBox Series X have come down enough now that I’m considering getting one. I didn’t think Starfield would captivate me when it was first announced but… yeah, I never should have doubted Bethesda. It looks amazing.

Anyway, I do hope that Microsoft has plans for Bethesda’s properties beyond just gaming. I think that if that Fallout TV series is a success, there’s a chance we could see an Elder Scrolls series or movie. Maybe. Though I suppose it doesn’t bode well that the D&D movie (which is what Elder Scrolls was originally based on; as I understand it, they came up with the concept while playing a D&D campaign) tanked. But perhaps a TV series could find success.
I'm guessing 2028 which would be 17 years or 2029 if a next gen title for 18 years.

Possibly my most anticipated game at this point but I don't want another wait that long for ES7 as otherwise I'm not going to get many more ES experiences in my lifetime :csad:

It's a real shame as D&D was a great movie and still didn't do very well. Not a great sign for these kinds of properties unfortunately,

I'm guessing 2028 which would be 17 years or 2029 if a next gen title for 18 years.

Possibly my most anticipated game at this point but I don't want another wait that long for ES7 as otherwise I'm not going to get many more ES experiences in my lifetime :csad:

It's a real shame as D&D was a great movie and still didn't do very well. Not a great sign for these kinds of properties unfortunately,

Yeah. I think about what makes a fantasy movie or series successful and I’m not sure honestly. I used to think it was name recognition, but D&D had that and it flopped. Meanwhile, Game of Thrones (or A Song of Ice and Fire) was a very niche series before it was a TV show and it became a cultural phenomenon. Obviously quality is important but both of those examples had it. Oh well.

I hate to say it but dnd has a negative fan view, as in most people associate it with overly dorky people. Elder scrolls has a bit of a better rep

I hate to say it but dnd has a negative fan view, as in most people associate it with overly dorky people. Elder scrolls has a bit of a better rep
Playing D&D yeah, but for non-interactive media I’d hope it could gain wider interest and the reception could could change at least over time with the release of great films like this. This film gives great references for fans while still feeling to me like a general crowd pleaser.

Yeah. I think about what makes a fantasy movie or series successful and I’m not sure honestly. I used to think it was name recognition, but D&D had that and it flopped. Meanwhile, Game of Thrones (or A Song of Ice and Fire) was a very niche series before it was a TV show and it became a cultural phenomenon. Obviously quality is important but both of those examples had it. Oh well.
I guess we’re in a better situation than if GoT and LotR had flopped too. I hope shows like Wheel of Time can get wider awareness too if not too late.

I don't get why Bethesda takes so long to make games that are increasingly mediocre. I like Skyrim and Fallout 4 but they are not the best they could have been either and I can't see them justifying a decade and a half development time for a game that comes out "meh."

I don't get why Bethesda takes so long to make games that are increasingly mediocre. I like Skyrim and Fallout 4 but they are not the best they could have been either and I can't see them justifying a decade and a half development time for a game that comes out "meh."
1000 planets!

I guess we’re in a better situation than if GoT and LotR had flopped too. I hope shows like Wheel of Time can get wider awareness too if not too late.

I might need to give Wheel of Time another shot. The premise is alright and Rosamund Pike is always great but what I saw of it just felt kinda half-assed. Does it get better?

I might need to give Wheel of Time another shot. The premise is alright and Rosamund Pike is always great but what I saw of it just felt kinda half-assed. Does it get better?
It's not great, but it's decent enough. I actually like it more than Rings of Power, but the production values are closer to something on the CW. It's one of the only high fantasy shows out there, so it at least has that going for it. It also helps that a lot of the supporting cast is really solid.

Episodes 2-4 is where I felt the show really hit its stride, as there's some cool dark fantasy moments. If you get to those and still aren't feeling it, then it probably isn't for you.

You realize you thinking they're mediocre is not an objective fact right? Morrowind, oblivion, fallout 3 and Skyrim were all goty winners.

I get it, not everybody likes BGS, but to act revisionist and pretend they haven't made some of the biggest and most popular RPGs ever is just laughable. The only game that could even come close to being as anticipated as GTA VI is TES VI. And it's not because of mods.

You completely misread that. At the time, great games. Still great games. But Bethesda keeps remaking the same game with less and less improvement. Skyrim and Fallout 4 (didn't reference the other 3 games but whatever) were improvements in their own ways but they were also just a rehash of Morrowind yet again with a new skin and different location and better graphics.

Everything they have done since has been a retread with the same formula, the same UI, the same iteration of what works. They might as well call it Skyrim in Space for all the difference there is.

If you like it, that's fine. I like Skyrim and Fallout 4 and all the previous Elder Scrolls and most of the Fallout games but I'm not going to pretend they somehow did something exciting and different since their peak decades ago.

You completely misread that. At the time, great games. Still great games. But Bethesda keeps remaking the same game with less and less improvement. Skyrim and Fallout 4 (didn't reference the other 3 games but whatever) were improvements in their own ways but they were also just a rehash of Morrowind yet again with a new skin and different location and better graphics.

Everything they have done since has been a retread with the same formula, the same UI, the same iteration of what works. They might as well call it Skyrim in Space for all the difference there is.

If you like it, that's fine. I like Skyrim and Fallout 4 and all the previous Elder Scrolls and most of the Fallout games but I'm not going to pretend they somehow did something exciting and different since their peak decades ago.
I mean, it's their formula. Rockstar has a formula too, and it works greatly for them. I think BGS likes sticking what they know works for their core audience. Besides, I do think they've ugpraded things pretty substantially between fallout 4 and Starfield. I also appreciated them bringing back more choices after Fallout 4 was essentailly a stripped down BGS game overall. Starfield differs from past games in the sense that it's really not as exploration focused as say skyrim or Fallout, but more quest driven, which is easily the strongest aspect of the game. That works for some and maybe not so much for others, but I really do think it's their best written quests/factions ever.

All in all though, I think they just want things to feel familiar for BGS fans. I mean, when you play one of their games you want their identity to stay in tact. Engine wise, I'd hate to see them switch to something else because then it wouldn't feel like one of their games.

F*** Microsoft and Bethesda

F*** Microsoft and Bethesda
It shouldn't be a surprise that TES6 will be Xbox/PC only...

In other news: Once the ABK deal is closed, ActiBlizz games (besides CoD) will also be exclusive to Xbox/PC and any platforms that have Game Pass.

You realize you thinking they're mediocre is not an objective fact right? Morrowind, oblivion, fallout 3 and Skyrim were all goty winners.

I get it, not everybody likes BGS, but to act revisionist and pretend they haven't made some of the biggest and most popular RPGs ever is just laughable. The only game that could even come close to being as anticipated as GTA VI is TES VI. And it's not because of mods.
Fallout 3 is the worst game from a basic design and ludology standpoint I've ever seen win GOTY awards (and no, that's not hyperbole, I can can back that statement up if you like.) Stop pretending that hype, popularity and and marketing driven awards are an accurate representation and metric of quality.

It shouldn't be a surprise that TES6 will be Xbox/PC only...

In other news: Once the ABK deal is closed, ActiBlizz games (besides CoD) will also be exclusive to Xbox/PC and any platforms that have Game Pass.
Surprise? No.
S***ty? Yes.

Fallout 3 is the worst game from a basic design and ludology standpoint I've ever seen win GOTY awards (and no, that's not hyperbole, I can can back that statement up if you like.) Stop pretending that hype, popularity and and marketing driven awards are an accurate representation and metric of quality.
Nah, I'm good. But with that logic, I can also say that God of War didn't deserve GOTY over Red Dead 2. Last time I said that I got attacked for it. But that's just my opinion, you see, I don't go around stating something as if it's objective like you currently are. I can understand why some might love GOW, but I firmly believe it's a drastically inferior game to RDR2. also since Bladurs Gate 3's combat isn't my thing, should I say it's popularity isn't a metric of it's quality?

And let's be honest, the New Vegas fanboys that constantly trash Bethesda, Fallout 3, and even Fallout 4 which I think is their weakest game, always come back and continue to play them. I wonder why that is? That's the funniest thing about the bethesda haters. They always trash the company, and think none of their games are more than a 7/10, while also acting like Skyrim, and their games before that were just successful "flukes". The revisionism is astounding. Just say the game isn't for you. why is that so hard? Even if it's a game of the year game, like elden ring, just say it isn't for you. That game wasn't for me, but I'm not gonna say it was undesderving of it's praise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"