The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

Discussion in 'Eternals' started by Speed Force, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Zyraquis Registered

Thanos in IW was not a world ending event, in fact, there were still a lot of people left — a lot, billions of them — after the event. Thanos in EG, should he win, could lead to a world ending event due to his desire to unleash vengeance on Earth. Eternals might show up if he won but there is no way to know now.

If there is a question why they didn’t show up, the more proper question is toward the end of AOU, which was pretty close to a world ending event.

I am quite confident there is a definitive world ending event that prompts them to reveal themselves and interfere in the movie.

in any case, in a motion picture universe in which every product build upon, support, supplement each other, it will arrive a point where it doesn’t look to make sense who and who is MIA during this and that. I am not the one who would fixate too much into that inevitable trap to enjoy a film mostly as it is. Just because things are implausible and inconceivable doesn’t mean that they are impossible. The limitation, sometimes, is just our perception.

#1876 Zyraquis, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    WatchProtect likes this.
  2. The Lazarus Pit Registered

Not impressed. I’m hopeful though. The mythology adds a lot of intrigue when it comes to the greater MCU, but this does not look good so far. Autopilot

3. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

The only thing I didn’t like about the trailer was that the intro scene made me think of the prologue in Prometheus, and I never want to be reminded that awful movie exists, lol.

Iceman likes this.
  4. Xeno That's America's ass!

People on another site said the same thing. It didn't bother me because I've never seen the opening of Prometheus. I always manage to catch the hilarious parts, tho. Those idiot geologists who played with the genital snake always crack me up. And watching two supposedly intelligent women run in a straight line from a rolling donut-ship is pure gold.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  5. Xeno That's America's ass!

I gave the trailer a 10. It was instantly clear what Feige meant when he said that Zhao had beautifully composed every shot in-camera as opposed to using green screen and CGI. The sets looked organic and lived-in, which is somewhat unique in the genre. The costumes were excellent interpretations of Kirby's artwork.

While I understand that some people were disappointed that we weren't shown more details, I rather appreciated that. Too many trailers reveal every little thing about the plots of movies, which is irritating. There will be other trailers and TV spots galore to blow all of the Eternals' secrets. I'm happy to wait and enjoy the mystery for now.

**Ahem. I thought this was the Rate the Trailer thread. Will repost this there.

#1880 Xeno, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Holy Slapper likes this.
  6. Xeno That's America's ass!

I took it that Ajak was saying that they had never interfered before doing so with the primitive people seen when that angular ship landed. And after that point, thousands(?) of years ago, they continued to interact with humanity regularly.

There are any number of possible reasons why the Eternals didn't go after Thanos. For one thing, the main host of the Celestials, who created and to some extent control the Eternals, might have forbidden their interference. Celestials are enigmatic, godlike beings who have motives and goals that are beyond the understanding of lesser creatures. Perhaps they didn't care enough to allow interference, or perhaps they foresaw that it would be unnecessary in the long run.

7. Rice Eater Registered

I interpreted the "interfere" part as in they didn't choose sides or partake in fights among humans. In order to guide humans along they kind of have to actually do something instead of just watching us.

But even though they've been there to witness countless wars and atrocities throughout thousands of years, they never stepped foot on battle for one side or another. I'm guessing that witnessing these things happen countless times throughout human history will probably lead to them losing their memories or just not caring anymore for a pretty long time.

8. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

For them to interfere now and continue to have adventures, won't they always need world-ending events and villains with stakes greater than Infinity War/ Endgame? That means they're setting the movie up for a huge threat, and if it isn't anywhere on that level (which it probably won't be) then that will be... I was going to say disappointing, but it will more likely be unsurprising and expected.

9. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

:funny: Oh yeah, there is so much moronic stuff in that movie. I think if you just basically accept that it’s a Hostel movie set in space (with stupid Americans replaced by stupid humans) it’s probably a more enjoyable watch than if you try to take it seriously. The next one was even worse; it was basically Sleepaway Camp or Friday the 13th on an alien planet. They really need to stop making Alien movies. It’s done.

Xeno likes this.
  10. Tallgu Registered

Could it be that they’re defying a Celestial from wiping out Earth? That is a pretty huge threat, I guess.

Xeno likes this.
  11. JB33 The Eternal Deviant

Gotcha. Yeah I only have Twitter so I guess I'm not fully aware of the range of reactions across social media.

12. JB33 The Eternal Deviant

The subjective nature of art is truly a bizarre thing sometimes. I'm usually pretty harsh on movies and their trailers and I loved this. It's not that the teaser itself was amazing but it did its job in terms of introducing another corner of the MCU. Showing them arriving on Earth in the ancient times of early humans was neat. Besides some scenes in Thor the furthest back we've gone in history in the MCU is WWII in Captain America: The First Avenger. There's also that one WandaVision opening scene showing Agatha Harkness' origins too but you get the idea.

Deck Rickard and Tallgu like this.
  13. imbruglia Registered

obviously celesticial will be the big threat and why Eternals will step in..

14. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah I liked that too. I hope a good chunk of the movie takes place in the ancient past because visually I think that stuff will be the most interesting. Babylon looks amazing in the trailer.

15. Michael Shaw Registered

I want to like Eternals, but the teaser has left me disappointed. Marvel has always been most successful when it focuses on characters. My favorite MCU films are Iron Man, Captain America:Winter Soldier and GOTG. I also have liked Wandavision and Falcon and Winter Soldier for focusing on characters that have not got as much focus in the MCU so far. I can't deny that Eternals is a very pretty film. That seems to be what everyone is gushing about. The rest seems hollow based on the teaser. I watched the other Marvel teasers and it was the weakest IMO. Characters seems to be taking a backseat to the history lesson Chloe Zhao wants to tell as well as the visuals. The characters appeared either interchangeable or relied on a stereotype to make them stand out such as the eternal who was a bollywood star. The characters appeared patronizing, cold, and self-righteous. They may have been this way in the comics, but it makes it hard to connect with them. In a cast of ten eternals it is a bit odd that none of them stood out in the first trailer which does not bode well for the film. The first GOTG teaser trailer by contrast really got me excited about that team and their dynamic. Outside of the great cinematography of the Eternal teaser, there doesn't seem to be much else. Does anyone else feel that way? I know it is a teaser but it highlights the focus of the film which is less focused on the characters which is a shame.

#1890 Michael Shaw, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  16. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Wow...

Got some Olympic level jumping to conclusions based on so very little.

17. Kane52630 TRAPPED IN A BEE CAGE

I can't wait to revisit that post when the movie comes out.

WatchProtect and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  18. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Ha, once someone posted some old posts when Robert Downey jnr was first cast as iron man and there was all these peeps saying “this is going to be a disaster”. It’s funny after all these years every movie is still met with “oh this could never work”

WatchProtect likes this.
  19. TeeKay Registered

While I agree the teaser was meh. How the hell did you get this from just the teaser trailer?

20. Asharad Registered

Many people thought GOTG was the beginning of the end, based on the teaser. A talking racoon and a walking tree? Nobody will watch that crap.

#1895 Asharad, Jul 22, 2021 at 5:26 AM
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 5:42 AM