Eternals Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Even though technically not as well made as Eternals, I think critics gave Iron Man 2 and The Dark World a pass because both RDJ’s and Hiddleston’s charismatic performance still carries those movies, and they still have that conventional action-oriented Marvel tone. Eternals doesn’t quite have that luxury as there is no standout RDJ or a Hiddleston level charismatic performance carrying the movie and it’s pacing is a lot slower, and there is a lot of lore dump and characters; so much so that many have argued that Eternals should’ve been done as a television show to properly flesh those ideas out and give those ideas room to breathe. Also, while Eternals is a lot more ambitious and aims higher on a artistic level it doesn’t change the fact the central conflict can still be boiled down to a bunch of human looking aliens with generic powers fighting a bunch badly rendered CGI alien monsters for two hours as the ponder about the ethics of preventing a cosmically planned destruction of a planet they’ve been part of for centuries. So it’s actually pretty easy to see why someone would enjoy Iron Man 2 or even The Dark World over this.

Basically this.

Also, even though Thor: The Dark World has a fresh tomato, it's widely seen as one of the weaker MCU efforts, and even Kevin Feige has admitted it's not all that good and has problems. Let's not pretend it's this 90% fresh movie.

So another case of "they only reason they didn't like our product was because it's too revolutionary for conservative Hollywood" like with Y the Last Man creators, even though most critics tend to embrace diversity.

Marvel Studios President Responds to Rotten Eternals Score & Critics

By the way thor and thor 2 have a high enough rating from critics,more so thor 1 and captain america the first avenger has really high rating. It's has 80% rt from critics.

Thor the dark world did make more money by the way then the first one.

Last edited:
“You know why I love movies? The fans.”

Looks like Marvel is pulling the same shtick that WB did when BvS got bad reviews and relying on the good fan feedback, lol.

“You know why I love movies? The fans.”

Looks like Marvel is pulling the same shtick that WB did when BvS got bad reviews and relying on the good fan feedback, lol.

While I dont get why the critics are this harsh to this movie and it is kind of not deserved in my opinion, this marketing turn sounds really like BvS days :loco:

And it was 100% better than Thor: The Dark World
Yeah, I would definitely argue if this was a Phase One Marvel movie, it would probably be fresh. Don't get me wrong, it would still be in the bottom, but expectation is a part of a critic's view on the movie. If they expect a certain quality (which we've been getting), one noticeably less will get thought of as much worse than it is.

The franchise is still struggling to answer the post-Endgame question of, why are we still here? Didn’t the Avengers save the universe? Done and dusted, story over, on to the Next Big Thing, right? Well, of course not, and Endgame’s ludicrous box office tells you why. But you need a better hook for audiences than, hey come see our new superhero movie because we want your money so give it to us! And three movies in phase 4 has yet to provide that hook. Until they do, I doubt they get much love outside us die hard fans.

It took quite a while, though - 10 films and a couple of phases - for Feige and company to provide us with the hook the first time around. The initial films were all building towards The Avengers, and The Infinity Saga really didn't come into until focus until 6 years in with Guardians of the Galaxy. It was that movie in which we finally got our glimpse of The Mad Titan and were properly introduced to the Infinity stones. We got glimpses beforehand - a faux gauntlet in Thor, the Tesseract in TFA (which may have been retconned into an Infinity stone along with the jewel in Loki's scepter), the non shwarma Avengers scene and that liquid crap in TDW. But it wasn't until Guardians that we got a glimpse of what the Endgame might be.

I would agree that post Endgame MCU fans may not be as patient as they way back in the aughts, so the studio should start teasing the long term plan in the near future (It's Secret Wars, right?)

It took quite a while, though - 10 films and a couple of phases - for Feige and company to provide us with the hook the first time around. The initial films were all building towards The Avengers, and The Infinity Saga really didn't come into until focus until 6 years in with Guardians of the Galaxy. It was that movie in which we finally got our glimpse of The Mad Titan and were properly introduced to the Infinity stones. We got glimpses beforehand - a faux gauntlet in Thor, the Tesseract in TFA (which may have been retconned into an Infinity stone along with the jewel in Loki's scepter), the non shwarma Avengers scene and that liquid crap in TDW. But it wasn't until Guardians that we got a glimpse of what the Endgame might be.

I would agree that post Endgame MCU fans may not be as patient as they way back in the aughts, so the studio should start teasing the long term plan in the near future (It's Secret Wars, right?)

The first mention of Infinity Stones was in Thor: The Dark World in 2013.

The first mention of Infinity Stones was in Thor: The Dark World in 2013.

Yes, but I wouldn't consider Odin's lengthy speeches a proper introduction for folks not familiar with the purply guy and his gaudy jewelry. The post credit scene did a better job setting the stage for what was to come, but I still would consider GOTG the official kick off for Thanos's quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"