The Expanse

IIRC the last time we saw Clarissa was Amos video chatting with her as they set out for Ilus at the start of s4. I don't know if that's in the book precisely, but it was a good move to drop that in there knowing they were gonna pick up the thread later.

IIRC the last time we saw Clarissa was Amos video chatting with her as they set out for Ilus at the start of s4. I don't know if that's in the book precisely, but it was a good move to drop that in there knowing they were gonna pick up the thread later.
Thanks! I'll be honest, I don't remember this at all. :funny: But I will take your word for it, and that fills in the missing connection we were looking for. :up:

Peaches went with the Roci on the trip back to earth. I don't remember if they mention how long it takes to do that trip but I remember that she helped Amos with maintenance on the ship during that time so I guess they bonded and became friends.

My first post in the discussion here, apologies if there is somewhere else to discus specific episodes, pleas direct me, will put spoiler tags just in case.
S5 Ep7
Great emotional episode.
So the episode reads as Filip sadly believing his mother Naomi is just manipulating him too, and he turns on her, to definitively follow in his father's steps.

Yet is it the exact opposite true?
That Filip has in fact seen the truth that it's Naomi who genuinely always cared for him, and he's come to terms with what she said, that Marcos is in fact the one who is just using him.
Filip's apparent "choice' and plan is a complete ruse just to help her escape.
During the frisk, Fillip has to have either planted the blood-oxygen injector on Naomi himself, or at least known she had it.
Allowing for the means of her escape. To a now conveniently uncoupled and crew free, Chetzemoka ship. Just siting there for her to escape on.
After the repeat narrative, of her entering the air lock to die.
It seems the seeds were planted.

Thus Naomi escapes, without Filip being directly implicated.
Unfortunately Cyn hasn't figured their plan, and in trying to rescue her, ends up in the wrong place.
Or did I completely misread it?

Last edited:
First post in the discussion here, apologies if there is somewhere else to discus specific episodes, pleas direct me, will put spoiler tags just in case.
S5 Ep7
Great emotional episode.
So the episode reads as Filip sadly believing his mother Naomi is just manipulating him too, and he turns on her, to definitively follow in his father's steps.

Yet is it the exact opposite true?
That Filip has in fact seen the truth that it's Naomi who genuinely always cared for him, and he's come to terms with what she said, that Marcos is in fact the one who is just using him.
Filip's apparent "choice' and plan is a complete ruse just to help her escape.
During the frisk, Fillip has to have either planted the blood-oxygen injector on Naomi himself, or at least known she had it.
Allowing for the means of her escape. To a now conveniently uncoupled and crew free, Chetzemoka ship. Just siting there for her to escape on.
After the repeat narrative, of her entering the air lock to die.
It seems the seeds were planted.

Thus Naomi escapes, without Filip being directly implicated.
Unfortunately Cyn hasn't figured their plan, and in trying to rescue her, ends up in the wrong place.
Or did I completely misread it?

In the books
he believes his father and sticks with him working in the Free Navy. Over time his father humiliates him repeatedly and eventually he realizes how much his father has manipulated him. His father invites him again to hunt down and murder James and Naomi, and Filip stays behind and joins a work crew instead of going to kill his mother.

Beautiful, glorious, emotional. The wait for S6 will now be agony. :(
Agreed.

Some thoughts, in spoiler tags just in case.

First off, most of the episodes this season felt very "low-budget" to me, and I guessed that they were saving their money for a grand battle in the final episode(s), and oh boy did they deliver! I mean the Death Blossom move was also very sweet(albeit short) but this episode really turned it up a notch, both with the Rocinante fight and then the ring fight at the end. Great job everyone in the CGI departnment.
I think I need to watch the scene again but I am somewhat confused by what happened at the Naomi rescue bit. They said that the ship was circling her and the could not come straight to her, but considering that the Chetzemoka (?) was under constant thrust I don't understand how it did not leave Naomi behind? Maybe it did but it was moving rather slowly?
The death of Alex. It was somewhat expected and I feel like all his scenes this season has been kept at a minimum to ease us into it somewhat, and even though I know why the got rid of him it still felt like a punch in the gut to see him go out. At least he went out doing something heroic.
Bull grew on me the last episodes so I am okay with him taking over the piloting for the next season, if that's what they're planning.

Agreed.

Some thoughts, in spoiler tags just in case.

First off, most of the episodes this season felt very "low-budget" to me, and I guessed that they were saving their money for a grand battle in the final episode(s), and oh boy did they deliver! I mean the Death Blossom move was also very sweet(albeit short) but this episode really turned it up a notch, both with the Rocinante fight and then the ring fight at the end. Great job everyone in the CGI departnment.
I think I need to watch the scene again but I am somewhat confused by what happened at the Naomi rescue bit. They said that the ship was circling her and the could not come straight to her, but considering that the Chetzemoka (?) was under constant thrust I don't understand how it did not leave Naomi behind? Maybe it did but it was moving rather slowly?
The death of Alex. It was somewhat expected and I feel like all his scenes this season has been kept at a minimum to ease us into it somewhat, and even though I know why the got rid of him it still felt like a punch in the gut to see him go out. At least he went out doing something heroic.
Bull grew on me the last episodes so I am okay with him taking over the piloting for the next season, if that's what they're planning.
I didn't notice any "low budget" feel in the earlier eps, but they certainly did deliver the goods here.
Oh I thought the Chetzemoka slowed down. Idk.
I think they did well with Alex's death given the circumstances. I had almost forgotten it was coming. They really snuck it in there, lol.
I have no real feelings on Bull at the moment. If he's gonna have chemistry with the crew, I haven't seen evidence of it yet. But it could develop.

On another note, I haven't read the books so I don't know what's coming, but I was glad to see Bobbie and Avasarala back together again. They're a great duo, imo.

Cas Anvar's antics caused them to re-shoot some scenes after they had already finished the season.

I wonder if the last season could be more than 10 episodes?

Beautiful, glorious, emotional. The wait for S6 will now be agony. :(
I really need to get around to watching this show. My neighbour and ersatz big brother growing up, who introduced me to B5, loves the Expanse and says in many ways it is a spiritual successor to B5 with all of the political schemes, class conflict between Earthers and colonials, and emphasis on realistic future technology (except less aliens).

I didn't notice any "low budget" feel in the earlier eps, but they certainly did deliver the goods here.
Oh I thought the Chetzemoka slowed down. Idk.
I think they did well with Alex's death given the circumstances. I had almost forgotten it was coming. They really snuck it in there, lol.
I have no real feelings on Bull at the moment. If he's gonna have chemistry with the crew, I haven't seen evidence of it yet. But it could develop.

On another note, I haven't read the books so I don't know what's coming, but I was glad to see Bobbie and Avasarala back together again. They're a great duo, imo.
Yeah I guess low budget was a bad Word to use. The middle episodes had more focus on the character drama (as opposed to space action) and The settings, particularly the earth ones in the outdoors, must have been cheaper to film, thus saving some money for the grand finale. At least that how it felt to me.
I Really wanna read the books someday. Maybe they will release a sweet boxset or something once all the books are out.

I really need to get around to watching this show. My neighbour and ersatz big brother growing up, who introduced me to B5, loves the Expanse and says in many ways it is a spiritual successor to B5 with all of the political schemes, class conflict between Earthers and colonials, and emphasis on realistic future technology (except less aliens).
Your neighbor ain't wrong. The geopolitical stuff (and the world building) definitely feels very similar, imo.

I rewatched the Alex death scene, and several Times throughout they show the vital signs for Alex and Bobbie, and after his crazy manouver his vital stats are showing as Condition orange, whereas Bobbie is all Green.
I just love the attention to detail this show has. [\Spoiler]

Sorry, what exactly happened in that very last scene? I didn't get it...

No clue. I'm guessing they were
consumed by whatever lives on the other side of the ring.

I had no idea about the behind the scenes drama with Anvar, so that "end" hit me completley confusing and disorienting, like I couldn't process what I was being shown, so much that until the other characters were talking about it, it didn't even register what I had just seen.
I actually had to re-wind to confirm what they were talking about was real.
Then I saw the blood there.
I'm guessing they filmed the entire season, before this "drama" even played out, cause it really felt like that was just a last minute edit.

Haven't read the books, but I imagine this really changes the dynamic of the story and crew going forward.
So the big question is............
Who will replace him as pilot of the Roci?
They seem to have made a point, the Roci requires some unique skill and experience to pilot.

Bull seems like he was a natural at the controls, almost like he was being set-up for it, and he really proved he can handle the Roci last ep. yet his relation with Holden and I imagine the rest of the crew seems it would be so antagonistic, it'll change the dynamic of the "family" to much. (although maybe that's the point, to throw some tension in there)

The other most obvious would be Bobbie, she's Martian, she would know the ship, and also she fills the role of having at least one crew member from each faction on-board, in their unique crew. Which seems pretty essential to the theme and dynamic of their crew (and show).
Plus she already has a "familiar" relationship with the others, so it would keep the family dynamic on-board.

Haven't read the books, so I don't know if her story going forward, allows for it, or if it changes to much?

Another, Amos (doesn't seem the type or temperament, it's just not him) or, he just brought Clarissa on board, could she have pilot experience?

Naomi, seems pretty capable at anything she sets on, and can pretty much reinvent herself, as she goes. I can see her taking the controls.

While I'm still having trouble processing the fact that Alex (the character I really liked) is gone.
I do recognize they will have to (and already did), move on.

So who should pilot the Roci going forward????
?

Last edited:
I had no idea about the behind the scenes drama with Anvar, so that "end" hit me completley confusing and disorienting, like I couldn't process what I was being shown, so much that until the other characters were talking about it, it didn't even register what I had just seen.
I actually had to re-wind to confirm what they were talking about was real.
Then I saw the blood there.
I'm guessing they filmed the entire season, before this "drama" even played out, cause it really felt like that was just a last minute edit.
Yeah I am pretty sure everything was filmed already. So they went back and did a few extra scenes of the crew talking about what happened and (it seems like it to me at least) shortened whatever scenes he was already a part of. Apparently he was cgi-ed out of the cocktail party at the end.

Yeah I am pretty sure everything was filmed already. So they went back and did a few extra scenes of the crew talking about what happened and (it seems like it to me at least) shortened whatever scenes he was already a part of. Apparently he was cgi-ed out of the cocktail party at the end.
As much as he probably needed to be cut, that must've been super awkward for all involved when they were filming those departing scenes. I am genuinely curious what his relationship was with the rest of the cast previous, and more recently.

Man, I am SOOOOOO clueless sometimes. I was thinking "Why the EF did they kill him off?".

As a recovering statistician, I understand the answer to "Why can't people just be normal people?", but I can't help but ask it anyway.

By the way, I keep rewatching the
Rocinante space battle from The last episode
such a wellcrafted and awesome scene.

For all you fans, the Ty & That Guy podcast has a few episodes out (they talk about each episode individually, starting at season 1) and they're are dropping a bunch of interesting BTS trivia about the show.

They dropped a teaser for season 6 today. It will start streaming on december 10th. Only six episodes it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"