The Fast and the Furious: Hobbs and Shaw

Tyrese should be careful. It's obvious that The Rock currently has alot of pull in hollywood. Wouldn't take much for the Rock to say it's either him or me for the next movie.

I never expected this to reach the numbers of the Furious Films. It is pretty much a Furious film missing a bunch of well liked characters. I expected the budget of spinoff properties to be lower though.

$700 mil not out of the question with China still to come.

Not such a failure after all.

I love Han, but I also like Deckard Shaw as a good guy. I feel like retconning Han to be alive is the only way to satisfy both camps. Because I didn't want, and still don't want, them to kill Deckard due to backlash from the Justice for Han movement.
Unless they kill him because he’s trying to save Han.

Retconning Han's death to make Shaw less of a heel? :funny: Whatever, just keep giving me these entertaing spectacles filled with gloriously huge action sequences!

Tyrese should be careful. It's obvious that The Rock currently has alot of pull in hollywood. Wouldn't take much for the Rock to say it's either him or me for the next movie.

Rock doesn't seem like that kind of guy though.

The Rock is not the type of guy who would say "it's him or me!" Tyrese is most likely to say that than The Rock. The Rock is one of those guys who if a Hollywood actor pulls out of a project he is involved in, he would express disappointment, but would likely wish him well and hopes that they would actually work together someday.

He should avoid starting drama with The Rock in general. Dude's one of the biggest stars in the world. Schmooze with him.

The Rock is not the type of guy who would say "it's him or me!" Tyrese is most likely to say that than The Rock. The Rock is one of those guys who if a Hollywood actor pulls out of a project he is involved in, he would express disappointment, but would likely wish him well and hopes that they would actually work together someday.

Instead of Han I legitimately feel they should bring Gal Gadot back as a sword and shield wielding Amazonian terminator.
Funny, God blessed me with a pitch for a sequel with a similar idea:

Gisele (Gal Gadot's character) when she was in the army was experimented on by Eteon (People who used cybernetics on Brixton apparently in this movie). She was given a serum to increase bone strength and thus when she fell it didn't kill her, but she was taken by Eteon to hide evidence of their experiments and has been in a coma this whole time. So essentially she was hurt badly enough, but no broken bones. Now Gisele wants revenge on Shaw.

And we'd reveal that Shaw didn't kill Han. Han's car had a bomb set to blow him up and Shaw knew about it and took advantage of it to send a message to Dom. In Tokyo Drift the Yakuza are after Han because he was skimming money off the top. In this we'd reveal that he was doing that to use the money to dig into information about Gisele, suspecting her to be alive, especially after the Letty situation, when he was unable to find evidence of a body. Eteon would've set up the car bomb. Eteon is a apart of the government agency run by Mr. Nobody. Making him a big bad. Maybe even tie in Cipher as being an awol Knowhere agent.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $148,359,740 25.2%
+ Foreign: $440,400,000 74.8%
= Worldwide: $588,759,740

On track to $700+ million WW. Not bad not bad.

Luckily the budget wasn’t too bad. It should turn a small profit.

588 million is "not bad". However that is such a drop from F8's $1.236 billion. Even if it reaches 700 million, thats still more or less 500 million lower.

I doubt Universal only expected "not bad" instead of quite good when they gave the film a 200 million production budget. If that is the worldwide gross of Far From Home after three weeks (which had a lower budget), it would have been seen as a failure by a lot of people.

I think Universal needs to reevaluate this franchise especially if they want this to last more than 11 films and still churning out films in the next five to ten years.

Luckily the budget wasn’t too bad. It should turn a small profit.
Well it wasnt good either. A $200 mil budget is quite big.

588 million is "not bad". However that is such a drop from F8's $1.236 billion. Even if it reaches 700 million, thats still more or less 500 million lower.

I doubt Universal only expected "not bad" instead of quite good when they gave the film a 200 million production budget. If that is the worldwide gross of Far From Home after three weeks (which had a lower budget), it would have been seen as a failure by a lot of people.

I think Universal needs to reevaluate this franchise especially if they want this to last more than 11 films and still churning out films in the next five to ten years.

Im pretty sure they were aiming for $800-1000 mil. $725 mil is not that far off. Its not a disaster by any means.

I would say $500 mil would be a failure and $600 mil underwhelming but H&S cleared those marks in the end.

There’s no way Universal thought it would hit F8 box office. It’s a a spin-off after all. What spinoff film made as much as the franchise it pulled from?

I don't think anyone should expect it to hit a billion but a 200 million production budget for a spin off like this, isn't very wise, in my opinion. Its the second most expensive film from this series. Like I said, it is gonna gross more or less 500 million than f8 (which is huge) and this spin off is only cheaper by 50 million when it comes to the production budget of f8.

Anyway, its their money but if this was a franchise starter or part of the another franchise... less than 600 million in 3 weeks (and less than 200 million in North America) for a film that had a production budget of 200m would be alarming in this time, especially studios only get like 25% from the China box office gross. The only real good news I can think of is, it has much better drops than f8 in North America. But this is the first film since the fourth FF film not to hit the 200 million mark in North America, and when it comes to adjusted ticket inflation numbers, it only outgrossed Tokyo Drift.

Last edited:
Well, we’ll see if it’s a true success in Universal’s eyes if they make a sequel - bonus points if they bring back most of the creative team.

I'd reckon a 67% tomato score with 88% audience score combined with a $725 mil boxoffice guarantees a sequel with a smaller budget of around $175 mil.

I found the movie quite enjoyable. Its a "turn off your brains" , escapism , fun times at the movies. A pop corn flick. Exactly what you would expect from a FF movie.

8/10. An improvement over the mediocre FF8.

I

I found the movie quite enjoyable. Its a "turn off your brains" , escapism , fun times at the movies. A pop corn flick. Exactly what you would expect from a FF movie.

8/10. An improvement over the mediocre FF8.

I would agree with all of that. It was pretty pure escapism - but lots of ridiculous fun. Had to laugh when they got to Samoa.....which looks very little like Hawaii ( I've been to both of them). Anyway, it was funny and dumb enough to be a good time. I think it shows us the brand power of FF movies and the Rock - but also that the FF series was built around Vin Diesel, and not having him appear diminishes that power a little ( although not as much as having a Bourne movie that doesn't feature Jason Bourne ).

A satisfying popcorn flick - but a notch or 2 down from Tom Cruise's MI series, IMO nothing beats good live action and (relatively) cgi-free stunts.

IMO I preferred it to FF 7 and 8 because it was completely tongue in cheek - neither the Rock nor Statham at any time looked like they were taking the film seriously - and a few times Statham nearly turned into his Rick Ford character from "Spy" - now that's a character who needs his own film, ****ing hilarious !

Cheers.

I would agree with all of that. It was pretty pure escapism - but lots of ridiculous fun. Had to laugh when they got to Samoa.....which looks very little like Hawaii ( I've been to both of them). Anyway, it was funny and dumb enough to be a good time. I think it shows us the brand power of FF movies and the Rock - but also that the FF series was built around Vin Diesel, and not having him appear diminishes that power a little ( although not as much as having a Bourne movie that doesn't feature Jason Bourne ).

A satisfying popcorn flick - but a notch or 2 down from Tom Cruise's MI series, IMO nothing beats good live action and (relatively) cgi-free stunts.

IMO I preferred it to FF 7 and 8 because it was completely tongue in cheek - neither the Rock nor Statham at any time looked like they were taking the film seriously - and a few times Statham nearly turned into his Rick Ford character from "Spy" - now that's a character who needs his own film, ****ing hilarious !

Cheers.

Yes very much agree.

MI series is better.

MI1 is great.
MI2 & 3 mediocre imho.
But then MI4 , 5 & 6 are good - great.

FF7 is very good.
FF8 is mediocre and possibly crap.
FF Hobbs & Shaw is good enough.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $158,862,350 23.2%
+ Foreign: $525,300,000 76.8%
= Worldwide: $684,162,350

Aiming for $750 mil WW.

There’s no way Universal thought it would hit F8 box office. It’s a a spin-off after all. What spinoff film made as much as the franchise it pulled from?

Rogue One - it became the 2nd highest grossing SW film at the time when it was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"