The God of Music - The Thor: Ragnarok OST Thread

The_Manhunter

Zack Snyder & MCU Fan
Reaction score
Who should do the score? Personally I would love for Brian Tyler to come back as I loved his work on "The Dark World." Orchestrally, it might be my favorite MCU score.

Supposedly Tyler is on the outs with Marvel, hence why they haven't been using his Fanfare for the last few films.

Hoping we get something to rival Frigga's funeral theme.

Supposedly Tyler is on the outs with Marvel, hence why they haven't been using his Fanfare for the last few films.
Really? Why's that? That's dissapointing, I really enjoy Tyler' music.

Really? Why's that? That's dissapointing, I really enjoy Tyler' music.

I'll preface this by saying I read it on another forum, so it's not exactly an actualy source, but supposedly Tyler breached his contract in some way working on Fast 7.

I don't know how true that is, but Marvel haven't used Tyler's fanfare (which I really liked btw) in the last few films, so there must be a reason for it.

Man that sucks. Loved the fanfare and I thought TDW and Iron Man 3 were some of Marvel's best scores. I did find it curious though when Marvel brought Danny Elfman to finish the AOU soundtrack that Tyler was working on. Anyone know what happened with that?

Hoping we get something to rival Frigga's funeral theme.

Yes I loved that music. I thought that entire scene was amazing but the visuals combined with the score really made it special.

I always found it really frustrating that Tyler said Thor needed a new theme because his character had grown. Luke is a very changed character in Return of the Jedi but did John Williams feel the need to change his theme? No. Themes are malleable. Moreover, Doyle's theme has a regality (that's not a word) and maturity that Tyler's lacks - just an all around silly decision and odd justification.

I'd rather Doyle came back but I don't think that's likely either. Third composer for the third movie? Yay for musical continuity...

I always found it really frustrating that Tyler said Thor needed a new theme because his character had grown. Luke is a very changed character in Return of the Jedi but did John Williams feel the need to change his theme? No. Themes are malleable. Moreover, Doyle's theme has a regality (that's not a word) and maturity that Tyler's lacks - just an all around silly decision and odd justification.

I'd rather Doyle came back but I don't think that's likely either. Third composer for the third movie? Yay for musical continuity...

I think Tyler's theme fit Thor much better, even though I like Doyle's score as well. It just conveyed so much more power, and had a more old feel to it, and to me that better represents the character than the more light and airy theme from the first movie.

I think Tyler's theme is paper thin and generic. I don't want it back at all. It can play bland heroism and nothing else. It doesn't help that it has been largely regurgitated by Tyler is subsequent scores - see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Doyle's theme had far more weight and was integrated throughout the score so much better. It could be heroic, it could be romantic, it could be sad, optimistic... The music had as much of an arc as the character - just listen to the viola solo when Thor speaks to Odin at the end, the music alone conveys how much Thor has changed. You'd never mistake Doyle's theme for any other character but Thor, Tyler's theme could be for any hero.

Then again, Doyle is just the all around better composer.

I disagree, weight is exactly what Tyler brought that wasn't found in Doyle's, which was very light and airy for Thor's theme. Thor is the big gun and should have a theme that brings a feeling of that power. As for generic, I think the drums set Tyler's theme apart more in that regard than Doyle's, although in the end it's just about what sounds fitting and good.

You also bring up more than Thor's theme in the two movies, which wasn't what I was talking about. Comparing overall scores Doyle has more variety, but also had more time to write than Tyler that was a late replacement. That makes for a skewed comparison. As for reusing parts in TMNT I wouldn't know since I didn't watch that movie. It doesn't make themes worse for me though, it could only affect my view of the composer himself. Just like how the main theme in Pirates of the Caribbean is great despite being ripped out of Gladiator, but one could feel that Zimmer was a bit lazy. Then again that was his last great score so I'll forgive him for that.

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed when I heard Doyle was not returning for Thor because I loved the music from the first film. I thought along with what Silvestri did for Captain America it was the best score from Phase 1. But then when I heard Tyler's score I was blown away. It was full of power and thunder. I said to myself "Now THAT sounds like Thor".

As a character I think he gave him a very recognizable theme akin to how I remember Williams' Superman and Elfman's Batman. And as much as I loved Doyle's themes I don't think they would have suited the adventurous feel of the second movie. Tyler's themes for Asgard felt far more regal, Loki's meandering motifs mirrored his character's ambiguous path towards villainy perfectly and Frigga's funeral Into Eternity was sublime. I do wish Tyler could have interwoven some part of Doyle's score somehow but he didn't and well it is what it is.

I've never watched TMNT but if Tyler did in fact regurgitate his earlier work as you claim, it doesn't detract from the earlier work - but rather the lack of originality in the newer work.

I'd love for Doyle to come back, love his score for the first Thor film.

He has apparentally scored the Crash Bandicoot games, among a lot else (Jump Streets, The Lego Movie). This and the logo make it seem like Waititi is going for some kind of punk vibe. Which is very unexpected and exciting. :D

It'll be interesting to see what they're going for on the score. Waititi is kind of a out-of-leftfield director for Marvel so I'm sure Mothersbaugh will be as well, which I think is a good thing.

I have to say this announcement makes me uneasy. I was hoping Marvel would ditch the overly comedic tone the Thor films have had so far (TDW was practically a farce), but with the hiring of first Waititi and now Mothersbaugh, it seems they have not learned their lesson. This is a franchise about Norse gods, with the word "Ragnorak" in the title. Levity is fine and dandy, but the LOTR films were able to incorporate it and not undermine its dramatic weight. So far, aside from the first Iron Man, Marvel has been unable to balance those elements and keep the humor in-check.

Here's hoping my fears are unfounded and Mothersbaugh will deliver the magnum opus of his career. But based on this studios recent track record, I somehow doubt it.

The only movies where I thought the humor got out of control were Age of Ultron and Thor 2.

Taika Waititi aparently confirmed it on Twitter.

"Devo-narok..."

I have to say this announcement makes me uneasy. I was hoping Marvel would ditch the overly comedic tone the Thor films have had so far (TDW was practically a farce), but with the hiring of first Waititi and now Mothersbaugh, it seems they have not learned their lesson. This is a franchise about Norse gods, with the word "Ragnorak" in the title. Levity is fine and dandy, but the LOTR films were able to incorporate it and not undermine its dramatic weight. So far, aside from the first Iron Man, Marvel has been unable to balance those elements and keep the humor in-check.

Here's hoping my fears are unfounded and Mothersbaugh will deliver the magnum opus of his career. But based on this studios recent track record, I somehow doubt it.

I completely agree, this choice along with the logo of the movie just make it seem like they're not taking the story seriously at all, like its trying to be too self-aware and comedic kinda like GOTG.

I completely agree, this choice along with the logo of the movie just make it seem like they're not taking the story seriously at all, like its trying to be too self-aware and comedic kinda like GOTG.

I think the exact opposite. I absolutely love the left-field choice for both the director and the composer. And I like the logo too. Everything I hear about this movie makes me more excited and proves to me that they are taking the third installment in the Thor franchise very seriously. The big name actors, the inclusion of classic Thor characters like Valkyrie, Hela, Skurge and Surtur, the inspired choice of director (seriously, watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople immediately, Waititi is crazy talented), the Planet Hulk element. If they pull this off, I genuinely think that Ragnarok could be Marvel's most fiercely unique event film to date.

Also, just because a movie has a certain look and tone to it (I think Waititi and co are aiming for a 80's video game/Heavy Metal vibe here), it doesn't mean it can't and won't bring the drama. I often feel a good balance of well placed comedy and drama ends up carrying a lot more emotional clout than a straight up depressing, grimdark dramafest. I personally like it when a movie lulls you into a false sense of security and then kicks you in the (proverbial) nuts when the poop really hits the fan in the final act, which I think may end up happening here. Waititi absolutely excels at balancing comedy and drama, again I refer you to his previous work as proof.

Anyway, that's probably all slightly OT so back to the topic of the thread, good (if unexpected) choice! I'm excited to see what Mothersbaugh does with the score.

I think the exact opposite. I absolutely love the left-field choice for both the director and the composer. And I like the logo too. Everything I hear about this movie makes me more excited and proves to me that they are taking the third installment in the Thor franchise very seriously. The big name actors, the inclusion of classic Thor characters like Valkyrie, Hela, Skurge and Surtur, the inspired choice of director (seriously, watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople immediately, Waititi is crazy talented), the Planet Hulk element. If they pull this off, I genuinely think that Ragnarok could be Marvel's most fiercely unique event film to date.

Also, just because a movie has a certain look and tone to it (I think Waititi and co are aiming for a 80's video game/Heavy Metal vibe here), it doesn't mean it can't and won't bring the drama. I often feel a good balance of well placed comedy and drama ends up carrying a lot more emotional clout than a straight up depressing, grimdark dramafest. I personally like it when a movie lulls you into a false sense of security and then kicks you in the (proverbial) nuts when the poop really hits the fan in the final act, which I think may end up happening here. Waititi absolutely excels at balancing comedy and drama, again I refer you to his previous work as proof.

Anyway, that's probably all slightly OT so back to the topic of the thread, good (if unexpected) choice! I'm excited to see what Mothersbaugh does with the score.

The inclusion of iconic story elements and the hiring of A-list actors has been done in the past and subsequently squandered (BvS, SS, ASM2, TTDW, X:A, Ghost Rider, etc.). Ultimately, it comes down to the people in charge knowing how to approach the material in an intelligent and fresh way. The Marvel Studios formula isn't aimed at me, so it's looking more and more like I wouldn't enjoy it.

I've become increasing disillusioned with the MCU, to the point where I may not see the movies in theaters anymore. Civil War was my last attempt to give a damn, and I just can't anymore (this is coming from someone that saw IM1 six times in theaters). I'll probably end up watching Strange, but unless that one stands out from the usual Marvel formula, I think I'm done. I just wish DC would get its act together.

Agreed. Thor's films should be on the level of LOTR with that sort of gravitas and weight. Especially Ragnarok. Thor films shouldn't be the typical Marvel cookie cutter formula and they shouldn't be the goofy mess that TDW was.

So far, aside from the first Iron Man, Marvel has been unable to balance those elements and keep the humor in-check.

I've become increasing disillusioned with the MCU, to the point where I may not see the movies in theaters anymore. Civil War was my last attempt to give a damn, and I just can't anymore (this is coming from someone that saw IM1 six times in theaters). I'll probably end up watching Strange, but unless that one stands out from the usual Marvel formula, I think I'm done. I just wish DC would get its act together.

If that's how you feel, then might I ask, why are you even here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"