The Hal Jordan Thread

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by $0UL3$$, Mar 15, 2014.

?

Will Hal. Jordan make an appearance

1. Nah, no chance

2. Sure! Hal and Barry!

3. Who cares?

4. Need to see a few episodes to be sure

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

I loved that show as a kid too, and i never thought of it, but that would be a good basis for a GL show

The animated GL show was fantastic too, shame that it only lasted one season

2. ZIPBAGS Registered

I posted a thread about this in the "Arrow" forum. With GL not being in a DC theatrical film until 2019 at the earliest. They should let him appear in the Flarrow-verse. Like Supes, Bats & WW. The next group has always been Flash, GA & GL.

3. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Whether they should or not, I kind of doubt they will. The movies not using a GL anytime soon doesn't mean various movie people don't still have a death grip on the character.

Plus, Legends of Tomorrow went *waay* overbudget, I don't think the CW will be eager to take on another mega-budget concept anytime soon.

4. MrPersonality Registered

They've shown Ferris Aircraft and Coast City in Season 1, and they mentioned a test pilot who "disappeared"...if that doesn't scream Hal Jordan, I don't know what does.

5. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

It entirely screams Hal Jordan. This just doesn't really matter, compared with the other factors in play like embargoes and budget. I mean, I certainly agree that at some point ( right after Arrow s2 ), they did intend to tease Hal Jordan for some possible future usage. I kind of doubt they have any such plan now, though. If anybody has the right to use GLs on TV right now, its probably Supergirl.

6. KidFlash6969 Registered

I am putting my money down that Hal Jordan makes his CW debut in one of the DC shows this year.

What with Geoff John's promotion, the GL Corps movie delay, and the allowance of Superman to the CW makes me think it's only a matter of time...

7. DrCosmic Professor of Power

^Superman is only allowed on Supergirl. The Flarrow verse is still embargoed as heck, and still would blow it's budget on two minutes of Green Lantern.

8. Paradox1 Registered

Not GL himself, aliens beings and environmenta in a GL show? Probably. i know they are not going to do an all CGI suit again, no matter the medium.

9. KidFlash6969 Registered

I really don't see why people keep saying GL would be so expensive when we see Firestorm done regularly and within budget, not to mention other things like King Shark and Gorilla Grodd which are far more expensive to pull off then just putting a green aura around a flying character.

Also no one knows for sure yet if Superman is only allowed on Supergirl, we could very well see him crossing over onto the other shows in some capacity.

10. HighFivingMF Welp.

They can fully render planes, gorillas, sharks, green martians, white martians. They can make a green light be fist-shaped. And his aura wouldn't be different than the vibrating effect for Reverse-Flash or the blue lightning glow for Zoom like in my avatar.

11. DrCosmic Professor of Power

Aliens and environments can be done practically, and so that doesn't need to be that expensive. But GL's powers are ALL CGI all the time.

Unless it's not, unless you do a GL whose powers are done, for the most part, practically. But that becomes a significantly different character, kind of like Firestorm that only throws fireballs.

Well, to me, the character they show is a pale, pale reflection of Firestorm and even that is also only around for two minutes tops, assuming no one else is doing any notable cgi in the episode.

And I think you make a good comparison, the two minutes of King Shark/Gorilla Grodd is about the same as putting a green aura around a flying character. The thing is, people want a whole lot more out of Green Lantern than just him flying around glowing for a minute.

I think once you try to add CGI to a real person, you'll realize that adding a CGI creature to a dark scene with no interaction with real world objects is a LOT easier than adding glowing and lighting to a real character, or creating a cgi person that works well. I think the only way someone can feel Grodd is harder than "just a green aura" is without knowing what's involved in having CGI, light especially, interact with a real person. Even flight isn't "easy" to make look like its really happening in the scene.

Flarrow can't even use Suicide Squad characters anymore. So, no, they can't use Superman and Batman, and nothing's changed. They can't even mention Supergirl on the show, so far. There's no reason to think they can mention SuperMAN now just because Supergirl is on the same channel.

I wouldn't say they couldn't do GL at all. I said that two minutes would wreck the budget. They could probably get a minute of GL in just fine, like they've done a minute of Grodd or King Shark. Doing blurs is a lot easier, in my experience, as I can do something similar at home on middling software.

12. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Eh, I would say that the CW being handed control over Supergirl is at least *suggestive* that some of the embargo effects might have changed. After all, Supergirl could definitely use some restricted characters, and the show got handed over to the CW, where all the marketing has emphasized the future crossovers ( said crossovers almost certainly being why they took the show ).

That said, the budgetary issues are still there. I think you *could* do Green Lantern on a limited basis ( yes, the Firestorm precedent, but I'm pretty sure a plain green glowing field would be a lot simpler CGI; the main issue would be flight ). You just couldn't do a Green Lantern show without eviscerating the premise. So, like, *an* episode with him appearing on Flash or Supergirl, fine. A Green Lantern TV show? Maybe in five years.

13. Paradox1 Registered

CGI by itself isn't the issue for budgetary concerns. It's when CGI is used in practical real world environments and it's a certain kind. Such as creatures that require light like gorilla Grodd or king shark. However the effects needed by the GL core do not need any of that. It only projects green light, it's like adding a flashlight to a scene.

14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I wouldn't say its *that* easy. Note that whatever effects he creates still need to interact with the real environment in some way: lifting stuff, smashing stuff, etc. Its not as hard as a gorilla, sure, or realistic looking fire.

15. Paradox1 Registered

What I mean by a flashlight is it doesn't absorb light, light does not reflect off it, it just projects its own light. You could have things project light practically and add the cgi later. But Of course big power displays interacting on stone for instance in a well lit scene with other objects which are suppose to look real gets expensive.

16. DrCosmic Professor of Power

I definitely get the implication, but I wasn't aware that control of Supergirl was handed over to the CW, nor am I completely convinced it matters, as Supergirl was a Berlanti show anyway.

Guys, I agree you can have a CW-Firestorm level of Green Lantern, a guy that flies once an ep and shoots a few balls of energy an ep, maybe even a ray of some sort. Sure. Anything with constructs is budget crushing on top of that. I don't think that GL constructs are any easier than fire, not just because fire is a common effect with lots of tools, but because GL constructs can't look like cartoons, they have to look like "real" fake things instead of fake fake things. That means either some stuff that really fits into a scene or shooting some practical stuff and putting it in. And not that lighting a mobile construct is easy either.

I know Grodd and King Shark may seem easy, but they're not really that easy, and how sparingly they're used is a dead giveaway. They have to be lifelike, unlike GL contstructs, and they don't interact with the environment to the degree that Firestorm does or a GL would be expected to. They are exclusively in dark environments with maybe one interaction with anything practical per appearance. They are also on screen for less than a minute a piece, because this is so difficult and time consuming. The team does a great job, and because of that, we don't see much of them, even when they're the main event of the episode, even during their fights. Compare with how Firestorm is used, and tell me which one is really easier/cheaper?

17. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Supergirl is now 100% a CW production, just as much as Arrow and Flash. CBS has washed their hands of it.

Anyway, I think its arguable how "real" the ring constructs would have to be. They need to look aesthetically pleasing, but that's not the same as "realistic". I think it would be less a matter of CGI horsepower, and more good choices in how to color and texture it. It can't look like a literal cartoon, but I suspect the modern equivalent of 90s Star Trek and Babylon 5 energy being effects would do the job. Its just, you'd still need to spend the megabucks on SFXing whatever you blast or block or pick up or fly.

18. DrCosmic Professor of Power

^Agreed. I don't think the constraint is money so much as time. You've got a little over a week to do all the constructs for the episode from start to finish, while also providing all the flight and normal glowy-blasty-sfx. And they have to "look aesthetically pleasing." I'm not sure that's trivial. It could be, I guess, but I'm not thinking so, I'm thinking the necessary shading and texture is going to change with different shots. Add tracking with the practical ring and light source movement on practical backgrounds, it sounds like a solid day's work.

Even if I'm wrong, there's still the issue of the practical effects of the constructs, without which constructs are going to ring hollow. So yeah, a minute of Green Lantern per episode, that's what I'm thinking.

19. KidFlash6969 Registered

20. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Doable as a one off guest star, sure. Bear in mind that on LoT, the writers spend a lot of time making sure Firestorm doesn't actually show up. Some of that is the writers being terrible and not wanting to have to write plots that account for an atomic superman, sure. . . but at least some of it is probably "this dude is the most expensive guy we have".

21. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

They could just do Hal as a cartoon like they do for Vixen and have him occasionally guest star in an episode on the other shows.

22. Nathan Registered

I actually never expected more than a few guest appearance and a decently sized role during cross-over events, when they saved up enough money to do some big spectacles.

Otherwise he sticks to Coast City or is off doing his thing in space. But I don't dislike the cartoon idea. Is Vixen any good? Haven't actually watched a single Episode.

Also, after having seen the Tyler Hoechlin Superman reveal, I actually have faith now that they could pull off a great Green Lantern costume. As long as they don't add an ugly belt or thick boots.

23. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

That would be fantastic!!!

24. KidFlash6969 Registered

Jensen Ackles probably has some time to hop around the vancouver filming lots once in awhile to guest star as the CW's Hal Jordan

[​IMG]

25. batdude Registered

Really, i'm fine waiting for Hal until Jensen has time to do it. Unless they actually do that Arrow/Supernatural crossover. In which case, back to the drawing board for Hal