The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

The opportunities are endless, my friends:

- Time to really find out why Lonnie is a little jerk. Did he run home and tell mommy and daddy about running into the boogeyman?
- Who is Paul? What's he in to? Is he still waiting on Annie?
- Devon Graham, apparently the other guy with a psycho ward station wagon. Where does he fit into this? Did he and Bob have to fight over Linda?
- Laurie's parents. Let's see them get down at the party. What's their reaction when they get home to find Laurie? What kind of trauma did they experience?
- Ol' Charlie Bowles. Yeah, we need this back story to set the mood for Haddonfield. Can you imagine the trauma that massacre caused in that little town? Maybe little Mikey Myers hung out with Chuck and learned some tricks of the trade?
- Lee County Sheriff's Office. Let's meet Haddonfield's finest under the command of Brackett. Maybe a little cameo by Hunt...or even Hawkins?
- Finally, Dr. Loomis. We need to see more of the interactions between him and Michael through the years. I'd like to see their last sit-down before Michael escaped. What was that like? More importantly...do we finally see Michael getting driving lessons by some orderly at the 'Grove?

As you can see, there's enough content for at least a 10-12 episode season. Lots of cliffhanger possibilities.

Maybe season 2 brings in Nurse Marion...?

I wouldn't actually mind something about Charlie Bowles. There was a H20 timeline comic they did about his story and it was pretty good.

Well obviously. But I'm moreso concerned about Ben Tramer getting his long-awaited redemption. :hehe:

This sounds so dumb. Feel like Halloween as a concept has been mined for all it was worth. If I dislike it it'll probably be popular though, since I'm one of those weirdos who loves the parts of Kills and Ends that everyone hates - namely that they're basically comedies.

• Preach
Reactions: B
Halloween is what got me into horror and I enjoy every film even with flaws (well except Resurrection and RZH2).

Well obviously. But I'm moreso concerned about Ben Tramer getting his long-awaited redemption. :hehe:

Tramer! Dang it. How could I overlook the icon?

Poor guy couldn’t get the mask he wanted since it was stolen apparently. Had to settle for the Billy Idol hair version.

Maybe the plan was to get a little candy that night so he could build up the energy and courage to ask Laurie Strode out on a date when they crossed paths at school in Anatomy class.

But nope, fate had other plans for Big Ben.

Who wouldn’t want to see Ben take on the role of hero that night?!

In all seriousness, let’s wait until more details are released before we start poo-pooing it.

The initial thought I have is why and why this soon?

This sounds so dumb. Feel like Halloween as a concept has been mined for all it was worth. If I dislike it it'll probably be popular though, since I'm one of those weirdos who loves the parts of Kills and Ends that everyone hates - namely that they're basically comedies.

To an extent, I agree. This is coming from someone who loved the original first few films & even arguably the lesser liked films from the original series, namely anything after Halloween II.

I thought Halloween 2018 was a great 'sequel' to the original series & was a great way to sort of wrap up things. Kills & Ends I thought were atrocious, particularly Kills because it doesn't really tell anything memorable or advance anything forward, it's seemingly just a 2 hour film of him killing everyone in his sight. I knew it was going to be bad after he turned John Wick on the 10 firefighters at the start. Ends was slightly better as I didn't actually mind a lot of the elements regarding Corey.

I almost wish they'd just leave the character for maybe 10+ years, then come back with a reboot like Rob Zombie did, maybe with some fresh ideas. The problem with Halloween 1978 & every other iteration that has come since, the less you knew about Michael Myers the less you see of him in the film, the more mystery & scary he was. It's something that will be hard to ever recapture, the Halloween 2018 is probably the closest they've come IMO.

Halloween 2018 is still the best sequel for me and I've been a fan of this franchise since I was a child in the 90's. Enough time has passed that I'm starting to get nostalgia for the 2018 film, and I just think it's everything a proper legacy slasher sequel should be. It's legitimately great, imo. The pacing is excellent, I love the opening of the film at the asylum, the tracking shot of the shape going house to house with Carpenters score blasting, Lauries relationship with her family, etc.

I've soured on Halloween Kills a bit however, and I do think it's the weak link of the new trilogy, but I very much enjoyed Halloween Ends and thought it was a bold and satisfying conclusion to Lauries arc. my biggest issue with Kills is that it only exists to bridge 2018 and Ends, both of which are better. But it's still got a lot of great things going for it, including that fantastic flashback scene. It's just too bad it's also got some awful dialogue. Anyway, here's another ranking.

Halloween 1978
Halloween 2018
Halloween 4
Halloween II
Halloween H2O
Halloween Ends
Season of The Witch
Halloween Kills
Halloween 6
Halloween 5
Halloween Ressurection
Rob Zombies Halloween
Rob Zombies Halloween II

Last edited:
Halloween 2018 is still the best sequel for me and I've been a fan of this franchise since I was a child in the 90's. Enough time has passed that I'm starting to get nostalgia for the 2018 film, and I just think it's everything a proper legacy slasher sequel should be. It's legitamately great, imo.

I've soured on Halloween Kills a bit, and I do think it's the weak link of ther new trilogy, but I very much enjoyed Halloween Ends and though it was a bold and satisfying conclusion to Lauries arc. And even with me think Kills is flawed, it's still one of the better Halloween sequels. That said, my biggest issue with Kills is that it only exists to bridge 2018 and Ends, both of which are better. But it's still got a lot of great things going for it, including that fantastic flashback scene. Anyway, here's another ranking.

Halloween 1978
Halloween 2018
Halloween 4
Halloween II
Halloween H2O
Halloween Ends
Season of The Witch
Halloween Kills
Halloween 6
Halloween 5
Halloween Ressurection
Rob Zombies Halloween
Rob Zombies Halloween II

I see what you're saying about Kills and Ends. I don't have any plans to rewatch Ends at any point, although it's obtuse to think I'll never watch it again. Had I not been expecting a Michael Myers Halloween movie, Ends would've done well on its own...similar to Season of the Witch. If Ends had marketed itself as a passing of the torch, Corey's character could've mimicked Kylo Ren (pardon the SW reference), in that he became infatuated with MM and wanted to emulate him.

For Kills, I mainly fast forward to the Michael scenes and most certainly passed/through the hospital subplot.

Otherwise, I don't mind your list. I think anything under Kills could be wadded up and thrown in the trash. It really doesn't matter the order in which they're ranked, those sequels and reboots are junk.

I see what you're saying about Kills and Ends. I don't have any plans to rewatch Ends at any point, although it's obtuse to think I'll never watch it again. Had I not been expecting a Michael Myers Halloween movie, Ends would've done well on its own...similar to Season of the Witch. If Ends had marketed itself as a passing of the torch, Corey's character could've mimicked Kylo Ren (pardon the SW reference), in that he became infatuated with MM and wanted to emulate him.

For Kills, I mainly fast forward to the Michael scenes and most certainly passed/through the hospital subplot.

Otherwise, I don't mind your list. I think anything under Kills could be wadded up and thrown in the trash. It really doesn't matter the order in which they're ranked, those sequels and reboots are junk.
I think opinions on Ends will gradually get less negative as the years go by, I mean after all, even the worst sequels in the franchise have found some love. Ends took a huge swing and it mostly worked for me, but I totally get why for others it didn't. I do think the Corey character could've been established in Kills but they didn't do that for some reason

Kills has some cool moments, but it's the entry in the trilogy I generally rewatch the least.

Halloween 6 is definitely not great but I'd be lying if I said it isn't a guilty pleasure haha. Everything else is awful though haha.

I think opinions on Ends will gradually get less negative as the years go by, I mean after all, even the worst sequels in the franchise have found some love. Ends took a huge swing and it mostly worked for me, but I totally get why for others it didn't. I do think the Corey character could've been established in Kills but they didn't do that for some reason

Kills has some cool moments, but it's the entry in the trilogy I generally rewatch the least.

Halloween 6 is definitely not great but I'd be lying if I said it isn't a guilty pleasure haha. Everything else is awful though haha.
One of the scenes I don't mind in H6 is the chase scene at the end, when Tommy comes face to face with MM after all those years.

Been thinking about this over the last couple days. You know, I'm looking forward to how they will handle this.

A "complete creative reset" could mean a myriad of things. Using H78 as a foundation for its characters is intriguing.

I think it's fun to speculate on what could be in their plans.

If they end up not making H78 canon, lots of avenues would open up such as an opportunity to delve more into Dr. Loomis. Maybe you create and develop other patients of his as a way of hardening his character and preparing him for Michael in the end.

What ideas do you have?

Listen, you know I'll be watching whatever Halloween series/movie they come up with. I will always watch the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to this franchise.

While this could always wind up being great, I do have to say that the idea of "going back to the original film" and possibly fleshing out Halloween 1978 does not sound very interesting to me. At this point, I would definitely prefer more of a bold "creative reset" that offers something new and unique. I do not want to see Laurie Strode and her friends getting stalked and killed again in 1978. Would much prefer a modern day reboot/reimagining of the source material or something different for a change.

I watched all the original "Halloween" movies except the third, from when I was 15 until "Resurrection" came out. After that, I just gave up. In my opinion, they made Michael far too powerful, able to cut somebody's entire head off with a single swing of a common butchr's knife. Anyway, I left the entire horror genre behind soon after that, never seeing Rob Zombie's attempts or the more recent ones.

Listen, you know I'll be watching whatever Halloween series/movie they come up with. I will always watch the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to this franchise.

While this could always wind up being great, I do have to say that the idea of "going back to the original film" and possibly fleshing out Halloween 1978 does not sound very interesting to me. At this point, I would definitely prefer more of a bold "creative reset" that offers something new and unique. I do not want to see Laurie Strode and her friends getting stalked and killed again in 1978. Would much prefer a modern day reboot/reimagining of the source material or something different for a change.
The two best of the original run, in my opinion, were Carpenter's first and "H20". The rest just fumbled the ball, in different ways.

The two best of the original run, in my opinion, were Carpenter's first and "H20". The rest just fumbled the ball, in different ways.
H20 fumbled the ball by having Michael wear 6 different masks throughout the film & having the movie feel more like a Dawson's Creek episode than a proper Halloween entry.

There's also that scene where the supernatural force Michael Myers, THE SHAPE, a now experienced killer, gets dropped by a 17 year old girl via a ROCK.

H20 definitely fumbled hardcore, it just managed to cash in on nostalgia and the Scream trend that was still very new & fresh at the time. If neither of those things were in play, H20 wouldn't have been nearly as successful as it was, even with JLC attached to it.

From a pure filmmaking perspective, H'18 was everything H20 tried (and failed) to be. Namely interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"