The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

I thought Resurrection and the Rob Zombie movies were the fandom's punching bags?

I thought Resurrection and the Rob Zombie movies were the fandom's punching bags?
Not for the last five years, at least from my experience.

I can't tell you how many times I was bombarded with essay long paragraphs about how much this movie supposedly sucks, as if they had a compulsion to tell every living soul, whether the people they're telling it to want to hear it or not.

Literally the people who hated this movie, were borderline obsessed with making sure everyone knew they hated it. If you wanted to have a positive discussion about it, well tough luck.

Off topic, I like your profile pic. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man was awesome.

I'd say H20, Kills and Ends are more polarizing than outright despised the way Resurrection and the Zombie movies are.
Maybe so, but those weren't the sequels being dragged through the mud every week for the last several years. Trust me, I saw this happen on Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, and every other social media platform you can think of. 80% of the time H20 was mentioned, it was just to beat on it.

Like I said, those may have been more hated, but H20 was the fandom's favorite punching bag.

Maybe so, but those weren't the sequels being dragged through the mud every week for the last several years. Trust me, I saw this happen on Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, and every other social media platform you can think of. 80% of the time H20 was mentioned, it was just to beat on it.

Like I said, those may have been more hated, but H20 was the fandom's favorite punching bag.
By comparison would they put 4, 5 and 6 on a pedestal?

By comparison would they put 4, 5 and 6 on a pedestal?
Halloween 4 was seen as god's gift, it was treated as a masterpiece. It's only very recently I've seen the movie get any form of criticism, it's mostly in regards to the mask.

Halloween 5 is more polarizing than anything else, Rachel being killed off is still hated universally, as well as the mask even though the mask does have some defenders. I'm not sure what the overall view on Tina is nowadays. The man in black stuff is still mostly hated. The rest of the movie is basically seen as a mixed bag. Most of the people who hate the movie are H4 fans, most of everyone else is polarized on it.

Halloween 6 is a weird one. The mask, cinematography, kills, atmosphere, George Wilbur, basically everything besides the story is loved. When it comes to the story, H6 fans love it, everyone else hates it.

That's what I've seen in the last few years.

Halloween 4 was god's gift, it was treated as a masterpiece. It's only very recently I've seen the movie get any form of criticism, it's mostly in regards to the mask.

Halloween 5 is more polarizing than anything else, Rachel being killed off is still hated universally, as well as the mask even though the mask does have some defenders. I'm not sure what the overall view on Tina is nowadays. Depending on who you ask, the man in black stuff is still mostly hated. The rest of the movie is basically seen as a mixed bag. Most of the people who hate the movie are H4 fans, most of everyone else is polarized on it.

Halloween 6 is a weird one. The mask, cinematography, kills, atmosphere, George Wilbur, basically everything besides the story is loved. When it comes to the story, H6 fans love it, everyone else hates it.

That's what I've seen in the last few years.
I always preferred the Halloween-Halloween II-H20 timeline to the Halloween-II-4-5-6 timeline anyway. Before Halloween '18 came along I considered H20 the third best in the franchise.

H2O is a film i really enjoy, and a lot of that is nostalgia. If they took the cinematography, score, mask and the shape from halloween 2018 and put it all in H2O then it would have been literally perfect.

H20 has never ever been the fandoms punching bag. Ever. Resurrection, Zombie's movies, and H5 have always been the ones that got it.

I always preferred the Halloween-Halloween II-H20 timeline to the Halloween-II-4-5-6 timeline anyway. Before Halloween '18 came along I considered H20 the third best in the franchise.
I still have H20 in my top three Halloween movies, I guess that's kinda obvious considering my profile pic. I'd love to discuss why I have it in my top three, but past experiences tell me I shouldn't, even though you've already told me you like it. Idk, I just don't wanna hear anyone rant about the mask, Durand, the eyes, etc. I've just heard it too many times.

I've recently gotten H20 on 4k, it looks amazing. I'm waiting for the 4ks of H1 and H2 to arrive so I can have the whole trilogy complete. A part of me wants to talk about the cinematography, but then I remember every other time I've mentioned it, the vast majority of the replies were trashing the look of it.

I mean it's well known that H20 hasn't had the best transfers on home media, but I just don't wanna defend it, or explain how the Echo Bridge blu ray was garbage, and doesn't represent how the movie is supposed to look.

I'm back. Left for a year. Is H20 still hated? Or is it cool to like it again?

It’s easily one of my least favorites of the franchise honestly. My favorite part of the entire film is the opening scene. Michael going to Marion’s house and her neighbor Jimmy, Michael looking amazing with the H6 mask. Should’ve kept that mask for the entire film. One of my favorite masks (and yes I’m a lover of H6 one of my favorites, both theatrical and producers).

Resurrection did nothing wrong. :o

d75a3be44afffeb6d66b0110960983a6e2b6a910.gifv

I still have H20 in my top three Halloween movies, I guess that's kinda obvious considering my profile pic. I'd love to discuss why I have it in my top three, but past experiences tell me I shouldn't, even though you've already told me you like it. Idk, I just don't wanna hear anyone rant about the mask, Durand, the eyes, etc. I've just heard it too many times.

I've recently gotten H20 on 4k, it looks amazing. I'm waiting for the 4ks of H1 and H2 to arrive so I can have the whole trilogy complete. A part of me wants to talk about the cinematography, but then I remember every other time I've mentioned it, the vast majority of the replies were trashing the look of it.

I mean it's well known that H20 hasn't had the best transfers on home media, but I just don't wanna defend it, or explain how the Echo Bridge blu ray was garbage, and doesn't represent how the movie is supposed to look.
I'm not a fan of the H20 mask but I'm a purist for the original mask that was carried through the DGG films. Either way the mask didn't affect my enjoyment of H20 anyway.

Resurrection did nothing wrong. :o

d75a3be44afffeb6d66b0110960983a6e2b6a910.gifv
Still not as ridiculous as that dopey clown music from Halloween 5.

I'm not a fan of the H20 mask but I'm a purist for the original mask that was carried through the DGG films. Either way the mask didn't affect my enjoyment of H20 anyway.

Still not as ridiculous as that dopey clown music from Halloween 5.

Funny enough, the mask from H20 shares a lot of similarities with the H1 Shatner. It's why it's my second favorite mask. It's the only time a clean white mask with Shatner type features has been used for an entire sequel. It's not an exact copy, especially in regards to the length of the neck, but when it comes to the facial features, it's almost spot on.

Here's some pictures of the screen used mask from H20. See why I like it?
ggiyguyfuyfuyfyugfyj.pngfhgghghffghjf.png

H2O is a film i really enjoy, and a lot of that is nostalgia. If they took the cinematography, score, mask and the shape from halloween 2018 and put it all in H2O then it would have been literally perfect.
The soundtrack in 2018 is amazing. Carpenter and his son really out did themselves with it.

With the H20 score, I think it works just fine, and is one of the better soundtracks. Although there is one criticism I have about it. The music during the John and Molly chase scene. It's from Scream, and it works, it ramps up the tension just fine.

However the music track John Ottman composed for it, was his version of The Shape Stalks. the beginning of that track was terrible, it sounded like Christmas music. However the rest of it was just as good as the Scream music used in it's place.

Considering it was Ottman's The Shape Stalks, it feels like a big missed opportunity to use it. They used a small chunk of it when Michael is trying to unlock the gate, but I wish they used most of it for the chase.

You can also hear some of his The Shape Stalks during the garbage disposal scene and the moment of Laurie's boyfriend being killed. I just wish they kept more of it.

Last edited:
Funny enough, the mask from H20 shares a lot of similarities with the H1 Shatner. It's why it's my second favorite mask. It's the only time a clean white mask with Shatner type features has been used for an entire sequel. It's not an exact copy, especially in regards to the length of the neck, but when it comes to the facial features, it's almost spot on.

Here's some pictures of the screen used mask from H20. See why I like it?
View attachment 74304View attachment 74305
My criticism is they went too big with the eyeholes. Everything else is fine.

The main problem with the H20 mask is that the film features like 3-4 different masks throughout the film from scene to scene. Including an absolutely horrible CGI mask. I mean that one still baffles me. There was not one physical mask on set that day for that shot?

The main problem with the H20 mask is that the film features like 3-4 different masks throughout the film from scene to scene. Including an absolutely horrible CGI mask. I mean that one still baffles me. There was not one physical mask on set that day for that shot?
That was a physical mask. The name is a little misleading. The facial features like the cheekbones, forehead brow, and nose were alerted with cgi, the rest of the mask was an actual mask on set. It's the knb mask.

The story goes, the set up for the scene was trashed, so since they couldn't reshoot the shot, they used cgi. Here's a screenshot from the 4k. It's not as in your face as some past transfers make it look.

00000.m2ts_snapshot_00.58.13_2022.10.07_11.43.23.png
In regards to the knb mask, just watch a transfer that doesn't suck, it won't be as noticeable. The shots that have the knb mask are too dark to see. Also to note, the knb only appears in a few scenes, with most of them being far away shots.

The vast majority of the movie features one mask.

Last edited:
That was a physical mask. The name is a little misleading. The facial features like the cheekbones, forehead brow, and nose were alerted with cgi, the rest of the mask was an actual mask on set. It's the knb mask.

The story goes, the set up for the scene was trashed, so since they couldn't reshoot the shot, they used cgi. Here's a screenshot from the 4k. It's not as in your face as some past transfers make it look.

View attachment 74311
In regards to the knb mask, just watch a transfer that doesn't suck, it won't be as noticeable. The shots that have the knb mask are too dark to see. Also to note, the knb only appears in a few scenes, with most of them being far away shots.

The vast majority of the movie features one mask.

Sorry but regardless it still looks horrible to me. And the mask changes are still very noticeable throughout the film.

Here are the far away shots of the knb mask.
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-07-27 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.pngScreenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-05-10 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.pngScreenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-01-51 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.png

Here's the only close up the knb mask in the whole movie.
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-03-26 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.png
Here's a split second shot of the knb mask. It was hard getting the screenshot since it was an extremely quick shot. Besides the classroom scene, it's the only other time the knb mask isn't in shadows.
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-06-30 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.png
And here's every other shot in which the knb was used, but becuase it was in darkness, you can't see it.
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-02-16 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.pngScreenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-16-49 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.pngScreenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-17-11 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.pngScreenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-17-23 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.png
Sorry but regardless it still looks horrible to me. And the mask changes are still very noticeable throughout the film.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 12-18-52 Halloween H20 full movie.mp4.png

Here are the far away shots of the knb mask.
View attachment 74318View attachment 74319View attachment 74320

Here's the only close up the knb mask in the whole movie.
View attachment 74324
Here's a split second shot of the knb mask. It was hard getting the screenshot since it was an extremely quick shot. Besides the classroom scene, it's the only other time the knb mask isn't in shadows.
View attachment 74325
And here's every other shot in which the knb was used, but becuase it was in darkness, you can't see it.
View attachment 74326View attachment 74327View attachment 74328View attachment 74329

View attachment 74330

Yes I’ve seen the film many times haha. I’m saying even still for me it doesn’t look great or work. Like I said I wish they just stuck with the H6 mask from the opening scene for the entirety of the film.

Yes I’ve seen the film many times haha. I’m saying even still for ne it doesn’t look great or work. Like I said I wish they just stuck with the H6 mask from the opening scene for the entirety of the film.
Why do you want the H6? It has the same size eyeholes as the main mask, and same hair style, and don't say it's because of the eyes, because his eyes are still shown when the H6 was used in the opening.

Why do you want the H6? It has the same size eyeholes as the main mask, and same hair style, and don't say it's because of the eyes, because his eyes are still shown when the H6 was used in the opening.

Because I just love the look of that H6 mask, is that okay? Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"