The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Hans Zimmer Score thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman theme is just two notes. That's not a theme. Those two notes have been used in dozens of films since. Its a sound, not a leitmotif.

Joker's theme isn't a theme, its a noise. Its instruments used to make a drawn out sound. Not a theme.

Ra's doesn't get a theme in BB. Its alluded to in the soundtrack, but in tracks that were cut out of the movie.

Catwoman gets a piano riff in one or two scenes, but it is never fully developed and dropped after her first few appearances.

Bane gets the closest thing to a theme, a descending cascade of "two note" sequences, but it is brutal and simple and short, never developed or expanded upon meaningfully.

Zimmer himself has commented in recent years that he dislikes leitmotifs and heroic motifs and prefers to experiment with a wall-of-sound approach.

This is excellent news in my opinion. Love what he did with Batman and a lot of his other stuff. I do hope they keep the theme from the first film, but this is just a credit to how intense the film will be.

I don't necessarily buy the validity of the source of this news just yet. Going to wait for official confirmation. While I love Zimmer's work on Batman, I found his Man of Steel score to be pretty underwhelming so I'm not too thrilled about the news if it turns out to be true.

I haven't seen MOS yet (maybe this weekend) but it's pretty insane that one man would score Nolan's Batman franchise, Superman for Snyder, AND Webb's Spider-Man?

You'd think the federal government would investigate this on the grounds of Antitrust laws or something. :yay:

I'm game because I think it could work great, but it shows a lack of originality from comic book movie creatives.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I am not excited about Zimmer. I loved Horner's work on ASM...it was a simple group of themes but very effective. I don't like Zimmer's use of droning...where he uses a repetitive melody of only two or three notes. It works in some films I guess, like Thin Red Line, but I don't see that type of music working well in a Spidey flick.

You'd think these movies would want a more unique musical identity, instead of the same one across the board. All Zimmer's scores lately sound a lot alike, to be honest.

I don't like Zimmer's use of droning...where he uses a repetitive melody of only two or three notes.

I don't like it either. Its rather generic... more like high octane sound effects work than film scores in many cases. More atmosphere than content.

You'd think these movies would want a more unique musical identity, instead of the same one across the board. All Zimmer's scores lately sound a lot alike, to be honest.

I thought Horner's score was unique and was a great compliment to the universe Webb is creating. I agree, Zimmer is too much of the same...his scores blend together.

Sad thing is... he used to make great film scores back in the day. Lately he's been in this sound experimentation mode and he's eschewed his better, more traditional scoring. I feel like he's wasting the potential of his talent trying to be unique and original and avante-garde when he should be focusing more on communicating meaningful thematic material for the characters and plot.

One thing to bear in mind is that with The Simpsons Movie, he showed that he can jump aboard a project with an established theme, stay true the feel of it, reprise it in new ways, etc.

[YT]a2rdG5CFcMc[/YT]

Zimmer can do lighter heroic stuff when called upon to do it too. I would imagine we'll get more "Pirates" Zimmer than "Dark Knight" Zimmer. Remember, Webb had a very specific vision for the first score and instructed Horner to write a catchy theme. It seems unlikely to me that Webb suddenly pulled a 180 there. A composer doesn't get to just walk in and do whatever he wants, it has to fit the director's vision.

Also, there's still a chance Horner and Zimmer are working on it together as the tweet says "other musical collaborators". Maybe Webb wants Zimmer to come up with something really sinister for Electro, while letting Horner take the reigns with the heroic stuff. I'm excited by all the possibilities.

And that's why I really am not on board with this decision to bring in Zimmer. Spider-man movies are so very sound driven, if that makes any sense. The score plays just as big a role as does the look of Spidey's suit and/or the effects, for example. We need a composer who will bring character to the music in a way that compliments the characters on screen; not some two-note driven polyrhythmic, tone clustered, Charles Ives crap! :cmad:

If it's a 'true' collaboration though and they mix up the thematic stuff with the droning, it could still work. I like the idea above, let Horner do the heroic, melodic themes and then have Zimmer create something for Electro and whatever.

Zimmers themes like Dannys Elfmans and John Williams they stay with you. I can remember the famous spider-man theme from the raimi movies, but not one theme from ASM.

This is pretty disappointing. Horner's score had the right sound for Spider-man, but it was just poorly produced. Hans is such a safe choice, I hate it. Now if he's just taking Horner's theme and fixing it, I'd be all for that, but I don't want another high octane Zimmer score.

Last edited:
Zimmers themes like Dannys Elfmans and John Williams they stay with you. I can remember the famous spider-man theme from the raimi movies, but not one theme from ASM.

I remember Williams' famous scores obviously, they are indelible and timeless, though he hasn't had a great one in a long while. Zimmer's to me are atmospheric but not memorable. I remember the main theme from TASM and can hum it, but besides the heavy synth and pulsing sounds, I don't remember the Batman or Inception or POTC scores per se. Maybe it's just me, I haven't watched those films in a while.

I have a bitter sweet feeling about this

While I absolutely LOVED all of Zimmer's work but I wasnt too impressed by his work on CBMs
MOS(except that one theme) was underwhelming and unmemorable.Nolan trilogy's soundtrack was average to good,with TDK being the pick

So its hard to say where this can go

I would have loved to have Danny Elfman back with us but Zimmer is the next best option and he will most probably do a much better job than Horner

I am genuinely surprised by this news. I, like most people, never saw it coming.

Zimmer is my favourite composer and Batman, Superman and Spider-Man are my favourite comic characters by far. And he's going to score all of them. *insert grooving gif*

A theme has been arranged by Horner already, but Zim Zim likes doing his own thing. I wonder if he'll drop it completely and go his own way, or keep traces of it?

This is pretty disappointing. Horner's score had the right sound for Spider-man, but it was just poorly produced. Hans is such a safe choice, I hate it. Now if he's just taking Horner's theme and fixing it, I'd be all for that, but I don't want another high octane Zimmer score.

This movie is more action oriented and Horner in the behind the scenes said basically that "the action tunes write themselves, what's really important is the calm emotional stuff, that's where you gotta put your effort into". I really dispise that kind of attitude, and I don't think this movie would've been any different with the action tunes, so I'm reaaally glad they changed the composer

Knowing Hans Zimmer, he'll probably take the theme from the last movie and expand on it in his own unique way

at least i'll be able to remember the score this time.

This is pure ****. Yesterday, I posted this:

Hans Zimmer is overrated as hell in my opinion. James Newton Howard sustained Batman Begins and TDK soundtracks, and TDKR lacked of consistency (only the Bane chant is remarkable, and it's a lie within the movie). MoS only had several good cues (and an excellent "What are you going to do when...?" ). Inception is remembered because of "Time". I don't know, very few good tracks in my opinion.

Horner is more consistent, and I've explained several times in this forum why his score for TASM is one of the most smart soundtracks created for a superhero film.

So, my vote would go to Horner again. If he HAS to be replaced, let Giacchino get in. That guy is AWESOME.

So **** it, I'm jinxed lol

I loved the theme that Horner created, but what's so great about his score as a whole? It had great stuff sure, but it also had really meh stuff too. I mean, xylophone on the Lizard bridge scene, seriously Horner? What do you think this is, a Mickey Mouse cartoon?

I said it before and I'll say it now: at this point the score could be anything really, and the guy is smart enough to not repeat his Batman score. I haven't heard a bad score from Zimmer and Man Of Steel confirmed that I can still trust the guy

gimli-happy-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back