The Harry Potter Thread!

Always prefered Hermione/ Ron, her relationship with Harry seemed more like that of a brother and sister, and was a good way to get out of the usual Protagonist gets the female protagonist plot. If Lucas didn't turn Leia into Luke's Sister, i'm sure many would also be arguing about those 2 as a couple to this day.

Only 36 voters? The poll needs to reset, a poll like this could easily get over 100 voters.

I went with 'Goblet of Fire', the Triwizard tournament was awesome. Its hard to choose though as my favourite changes occasionally. If 'Goblet of Fire' had introduced Luna instead of 'Order of the Phoenix', there would be no contest :woot:

My favorite was and still is OOTP. It may still be. The book really could do with some editing tho. Nothing major but it has a lot of stuff prior to The Hearing that could be trimmed. But I love the length of the book once we get to hogwarts. That book spent more time in hogwarts than any other and gave us one of the most dispicable disgusting characters in literature.

I wasnt much of a fan of HPB when it came out. Hermione's characterization was way off. Hermione would have never missed what Malfoy was up to. Her being so hard-headed and almost willfully ignorant was completely out of character and by the last third of the novel I was ready for her to catch a killing curse in the face. The romance and Harry's jealousy of Ginny really threw me off too. I love the voldemort backstory tho.

DH was thrilling but had some weird last minute additions to the mythology namely wand loyalty. It also lacked the day to day life and minutiae of hogwarts which is something I love about the series. I would have loved to see hogwarts through Ginny's perspective and what it was like living there under snape and the dementor occupation. Rowling really missed an opportunity there.

Last edited:
half blood prince.

in some ways, voldemort is the 2nd most important character after harry and THEN ron & hermione. so it was definitely great to finally get some backstory on him in the penultimate installment of the series.

I fell out of being a fan of the series once someone point out that if MI6 got involved then the wizard war would have been over inside a week.

I kid :D

It's a valid point though. :p

I rather liked the OOTP as it is a good book and has a better story up to the end than most of the rest of the series.

I don't think I ever had a favourite Potter book. I really loved each as I was reading them.

Of the movies, though, the only one's I was really on board with were PoA, GoF and OotP. I still haven't seen either DH1/2 all the way through, and I've only seen HBP once, but didn't really like it.

i ****ing hated poa so ****ing bad, i can't believe it is the highest rated film in the series not counting the last one.

So Rowling has released yet another Harry Potter short story. I think she is building up to something. Either she is planning to write an eighth book or is getting itchy to revisit these characters, which will ultimately result in her writing an eighth book.

After finishing the series I think Half Blood Prince is my favorite. I loved the Voldemort backstory.

I love the Voldemort backstory but the rest of that book is my least favorite of the entire series. The Slug Club nonsense, Hermione and Ron refusing to believe that Malfoy could be up to something or that Voldemort a psychotic child murderer might use a child to cause trouble for Dumbledore, Harry literally obsessing over Malfoy, the teenage angsty love stuff etc. One moment that to this day makes me want to hurl the book is when Hermione says Harry should be expelled for slipping Ron some Felix before the quidditch match. Harry didnt do it, but even if he had the idea that Hermione would say something like that is infuriating. Harry's education is vitally important, and Hermione doesnt give two ****s about quidditch, and she herself has broke a number of serious rules and laws but she has the gaw to give Harry hell over a little luck potion. That moment was just the cherry on the BS cake that Hermione baked up for most of that book.

Ah, hard to choose. All the books are brilliant. <33

But I went with Goblet of Fire, though OoTP came very close. The triwizard tournament is one of the my top fave part in the series.

I already finished reading Sorcerer's stone down to goblet of fire....next in line would be order....its really fun reading about the Weasley twin Fred and George.....I guess books gives you detailed by detailed than movies. But you cannot change the fact that the movie gives your imaginations a life that seems real in muggle world.

Goblet of fire for me is the coolest among all the series ....because there are so many things happened like rise the rise of the dark lord, the tri-wizard tournament, and the Weasley twins .....

Last edited:
bumping this thread - I dunno how many potterheads are on shh but I being one would like to have the all in one place to discuss the HPverse!

Goblet of Fire has one problem I don't think JK really addressed.

What would have happened if Harry just refused to participate in the tournament

I loved the series, but Quidditch really needed to be timed. What would all the people at the World Cup do if the game went on for several weeks? Skip work? How could these amateur kids complete a game in an hour or so? :loco: :woot:

I loved the series, but Quidditch really needed to be timed. What would all the people at the World Cup do if the game went on for several weeks? Skip work? How could these amateur kids complete a game in an hour or so? :loco: :woot:
well I mean naturally, as gargantuan and lovely that harry potter is a franchise, there are a lot of inconsistencies/plotholes.
your question reminds me of what would happen if someone breaks an unbreakable vow. but I think there's less fatality tied to the refusal of being a part of the triwizard tournament.

Best book is Order of the Phoenix.

your question reminds me of what would happen if someone breaks an unbreakable vow. but I think there's less fatality tied to the refusal of being a part of the triwizard tournament.

Someone told Harry (Ron?) that if it's broken, the person who broke it dies

Best book is Order of the Phoenix.
i thought when I first read it.

Someone told Harry (Ron?) that if it's broken, the person who broke it dies
so the just like drop dead? They have no choice to keep the vow? I don't think an explanation was given for not participating in the triwizard tournament other than, 'he has no choice'

My favorite is still probably Azkaban, followed by Half-Blood Prince.

Still hoping for that young Sirius Black spinoff series.

Goblet of Fire was always my favourite. It was the book that went completely dark (and the previous 3 books already had their dark elements). It opens with a murder and ends wiith the most macabre ending of the enitre series (that not even the film could live up to). It's full on horror at that point. Plus the Triwizard Tournament instead of Qudditch is a breath of fresh air. If I have just one criticism, it's that it does sag a little bit in the middle with Hermione's House Elf Liberation Front. Otherwise a perfect book. I think it may have been JK Rowling's most problematic book to write if I remember reading correctly.

The biggest problem I have with GOF's plot is the glaring obvious solution to Harry's situation. He has to compete. That however doesn't mean he has to win or do good. All Dumbledore and Barty had to do was make him show up for each challenge and immediately walk away resulting in 0 points. But of course their would be no book then. So I guess it's just something we have to try to ignore.

As for quidditch, I never had any problems with it. It's a wizarding sport so it's going to have some aspects that make us say "wtf?" And it seems that the sport hasn't evolved much in hundreds of years and since it's so beloved I guess wizards don't want to add a timer to the game.

The movie had a line about the Triwizard Cup being a "binding magical contract." Does anyone recall if JK Rowling used that in the book?

Unrelated, HBO's doing a miniseries of her first non-Potter novel, A Casual Vacancy.

The movie had a line about the Triwizard Cup being a "binding magical contract." Does anyone recall if JK Rowling used that in the book?

Unrelated, HBO's doing a miniseries of her first non-Potter novel, A Casual Vacancy.

It's Ludo Bagman that says 'it's down in the rules', confirmed by Barty Crouch Sr and then 'Mad Eye Moody' insisting it's 'magically binding' to compete. And Karkaroff asks 'It's convenient?'. Convenient indeed. Bagman assertion that it's 'down in the rules' that Potter must compete is only because Barty Crouch Sr has said so I think. This of course brings into question Dumbledore's judgement and why he himself didn't have a second look at the so called 'rules' lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"