The Hills Have Sequels

Reaction score
April 27, 2006 - There will be a sequel to Fox Searchlight's recent horror remake The Hills Have Eyes. According to Fangoria, Wes Craven, director of the original and producer of the remake, is scripting the sequel with his son Jonathan.

"We want to continue the story of the miners," Craven revealed. "This time, a group of National Guard screw-ups come face to face with the mutants on their last day of training in the desert. We will take the audience underground [into the mines] as well. The studio, Fox Searchlight, wants the sequel out a year to the day after the last one, so we have to deliver our script in a matter of weeks."

Alexandre Aja, who is busy on The Waiting, declined to pen the sequel. "So my son and I decided to write it ourselves, and we are hard at work," Craven advised Fangoria.

The Hills Have Eyes 2 will film sometime this summer.
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/703/703579p1.html

I enjoyed the first film, But I dont like how their rushing the secont one along why not give them plenty of time to write the script?

it's a horror movie, not shakespear

Darth Elektra said:
I enjoyed the first film, But I dont like how their rushing the secont one along why not give them plenty of time to write the script?

The SAW films seem to be doing pretty well despite the lack of time put into them...

I think they need to leave it alone. I mean, the remake was pretty violent and gory. I don't see how a sequel can top that. Plus, it'll probably get campy.

Craven won back some respect with Red Eye, but I fear that for his horror films, he might still be stuck in the Scream mode that played out in the 90s.
"Cursed" being a steaming pile of an example.

I actually like the premise. They aren't trying to do the same thing over again. They aren't doing a repeat. The National Guard vs the Miners. The Miners are used to terrorizing unsuspecting families, workers, etc...but what happens when they are dealing with armed people, trained to kill. It could actually be pretty good.

hills have eyes was great, but a sequal?

why?

let it be

The Joker said:
it's a horror movie, not shakespear

The irony is that Shakespeare's work was all written as mass entertainment without artistic pretension.

Wasn't there already a sequel for the original Hills Have Eyes?

But a sequel could work. I agree a follow up to the first movie with the three survivors being terrorized again would be bad...but I actually like this concept. The miners aren't attacking unsuspecting civilians. They are attacking armed and dangerous soldiers capable of fighting back from the get go.

I forsee this going the same way that the original franchise went. The first was considered a good movie by many, and then the sequal is a big, steaming pile of doggy-doo. They could prove me wrong, but I think there's just a bit too much deja-vu involved.

Wow. Anything will get a sequal these days. I actually thought the remake was OK but not great.

I didn't like the remake at all. In comparison Wrong Turn was a lot more entertaining.

hitmanyr2k said:
I didn't like the remake at all. In comparison Wrong Turn was a lot more entertaining.

Wrong Turn was entertaining, but it was also Hollywoodized cop out, HHE06 is much more in line with what the genre needs. It doesn't cast someone we know why don't simply because of who plays them and baby them in the finale like Wrong Turn did. The HHE trailer sequence blows away anything in WT because it's not entertaining. It's sick, twisted, and uncompromising as horror should be.

I like the premise for the sequel, but without Aja coming back I'm still sort of on the ropes about it.

aja could still direct, he's just not writing.

Stormyprecious said:
The HHE trailer sequence blows away anything in WT because it's not entertaining. It's sick, twisted, and uncompromising as horror should be.

To me shock value isn't horror. Yeah, the trailer sequence was sick and twisted but not once did I feel tense during that scene...no sense of dread or anything. It did nothing for me.

To me horror is when the characters in Wrong Turn were hiding in the hillbilly house trying not to make a sound while watching their friends' bodies get mutilated. I had a sense of dread there. I was tense. To me THAT is what horror is all about.

hitmanyr2k said:
To me shock value isn't horror. Yeah, the trailer sequence was sick and twisted but not once did I feel tense during that scene...no sense of dread or anything. It did nothing for me.

To me horror is when the characters in Wrong Turn were hiding in the hillbilly house trying not to make a sound while watching their friends' bodies get mutilated. I had a sense of dread there. I was tense. To me THAT is what horror is all about.

Shock value isn't horror to me either.

I agree, that sequence you referred to in Wrong Turn was phenominal, that was great horror. My problem with it is how Dushku(who you know right from the start won't die just because she's Dushku)gets captured, and they don't do anything to her until her b/f has time to conveniently show up for the save and drive off with her for their cop out Hollywoodized, no sense of dread whatsoever ending.

It wasn't shock value that made that trailer sequence in HHE so effective. It was how well Aja had set up the family as real people that I could sympathize for when the **** hit the fan. The scene wasn't even that gory, it was tone, and performances, and how I felt about the people it was happening to that made it so effective, much more so than Wrong Turn was. That scene also made me hate the people doing it, it got me totally invested in the impending conflict in the third act in a way that I never was in WT.
The ending in HHE was perfect. I was moved to see these characters that I'd grown to care about reuinted after all they'd been through, yet Aja still made it was it wasn't too much of a happy ending like WT (with the two characters I cared the least about getting away) had.
I cared about Carly and Scott, but the two leads were such thin characters. That movie is just too much Hollywood and not enough depth. I still enjoy it quite a bit, the villains were damn good, but it doesn't have nearly the impact that HHE06 does.

Matt said:
aja could still direct, he's just not writing.

He's not directing either. Wes offered it to him and he's passed. He's busy with another project.

Craven is looking for a new director, the name Michael Bassett(who did a small independent horror film called Deathwatch)a few years ago was who he mentioned.

i dont know about a sequel to this. i mean, all of us have seen it already know that everyone gets screwed in the first one. sorry if that spoils something, but if you're in this thread, then you should already know. it was a good movie, but not really deserving of a sequel. maybe i'll let all you guys go see it and then you can tell me to bother or not and maybe i can save some $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"