The Hip Hop/Rap Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not listened to a Eminem album since The Eminem Show.

Azalea Banks generating more heat on twitter talking about American obesity

There are some gems. Never Enough and Encore on Encore. But you arent missing much

Ive never seen someone with so much negativity than Azalea Banks. She actually needs help/
Honestly If Americans want to eat themselves to death that our business. Kids I feel should be steered toward the healthy side though

Nah I think the dissing wouldve been lame because it wouldve just seemed like a desperate guy who was out of the spotlight looking for attention.
I will say Em's collabs with Wayne did bring out the best of Wayne. Im still not that big a fan of them but they werent bad. Weirdly I dont think Kanye and Em have done a track which sucks because that wouldve been good.

Hip Hop is a friendly game now. No one wants to be that guy being all negative and dissing everyone. That hurt 50 Cent in the end and it's hurting Azalea Banks now musically.

Em does need to stay away from all these pop hooks though. They really brought down Marshall Mathers LP 2
Well those people to a degree were ruining hip hop and there was no other rapper there to give them a run for their money. Just think how different music would have turned out IF eminem did diss them.

And I don't think it would've made Em look desperate. Wayne did call him out way back before they made a song together, claiming Em was afraid to get on a track with them.

Anyways, the internet hosted a huge amount of haters (still do) for the likes of those rappers. And Em dissing them would've been the best fuel to make it burn down a forest.

And I'd say the poppy hooks hurt him more on recovery than they did on mmlp2. but he's been using them since mmlp1 (stan featured dido, yes it was a sample but a sample of a pop track)

there are a lot of classics you haven't got to hear but blackman is right you haven't missed out on much.
There are some gems. Never Enough and Encore on Encore. But you arent missing much

Ive never seen someone with so much negativity than Azalea Banks. She actually needs help/
Honestly If Americans want to eat themselves to death that our business. Kids I feel should be steered toward the healthy side though
I've heard the name azalea but I don't know who that is... who is it?

I've heard the name azalea but I don't know who that is... who is it?

She is a rapper who had some buzz about three years ago.

She is mostly known for being over-opinionated and posting rants on twitter which usually lead to her getting into beefs with various people including Iggy Azalea, Pharrell Williams, TI and Angel Haze.

I thought MMLP2 was solid. I still love 'Berserk'. There wasn't a stinker on that album, imo.

It's a shame Azealia has to be so confrontational all the time on Twitter, I think it's hurting her. Remember when she was recording some stuff with Disclosure, then tweeted that she was making the best thing ever with those guys, and Disclosure went 'Yeah... it's not finished, we did some track with her, but it's not complete' and she responded that they were being 'rude'?

And that was one of her tamer 'beefs'.

I don't think the whole starting beef thing works anymore in today's hiphop landscape, at least not in the public eye of the mainstream audience. People seem to be over that.

And it's a shame too, because Azealia's output was really promising around 2013-ish.

Azalea Banks is a professional troll at this point.

Banks was gunning for Kendrick Lamar as well.

Azalea Banks ain't met a bridge she hasn't tried to burn down.

Last edited:
Only listened TO Lupe's new album once but I wasn't impressed

Missy Elliot really shouldve used the momentum from the Superbowl performance to drop a new single, mixtape, or something.

I always felt like Eminem took the wrong approach to hip hop when he got back in the game in 2009. Instead of dissing the ish out of kanye, weezy, drizzy, and nicki, he decided to work with them. I think it would have been much more interesting and beneficial to hip hop if he started feuds with all of them instead. that was much needed for hip hop.

he even admitted to his cowardice on 'talkin 2 myself' on the recovery album. smh.

He didn't admit to cowardice on that song. He said he was a drugged up jealous mess for a few years because he couldn't write anymore. I do agree to an extent though. Em has no problem pulling a pop star out of a hat for a cheap shot, but he seems to dodge anything that might cause a stir. It's a shame because the closest he's been to his old self(in my opinion was "The Warning" , that random diss to Mariah of all people. He flows effortlessly over the beat with some sharp lines, and can clearly still pull it off with something to say. Most songs he puts out are overly forced and choppy nowadays.

Liking the Joey Bada$$ album right now. Can't get into Lupe's tbh

MMLP2 was decent. I wont buy it though and the only song I have is Love Game with Kendrick. Too many pop star hooks.

Glad to see someone share my sentiments for Tetsuo & Youth. He has ggod rhymes on it but as a project it isnt that interesting to me. Except Chopper.

Joey Badass's project was good but I cant see me ever revisiting it. It sounded to similar to me sonically/beat wise

He didn't admit to cowardice on that song. He said he was a drugged up jealous mess for a few years because he couldn't write anymore. I do agree to an extent though. Em has no problem pulling a pop star out of a hat for a cheap shot, but he seems to dodge anything that might cause a stir. It's a shame because the closest he's been to his old self(in my opinion was "The Warning" , that random diss to Mariah of all people. He flows effortlessly over the beat with some sharp lines, and can clearly still pull it off with something to say. Most songs he puts out are overly forced and choppy nowadays.

Liking the Joey Bada$$ album right now. Can't get into Lupe's tbh

your username looks familiar. did you used to post on d12world/rapbasement/studio leaks?

and I'm pretty sure it was during his cleansing period is when he referred to attempting to diss Kanye, Wayne and whoever else. I also agree with you about the warning, listening to it gives you the feeling of the old, pre-Encore Eminem. Like something off of TES, yeah?

While Em is still obviously skilled on a technical level, it seems he isn't doing much more than professing his skill. Like on detroit vs. everybody.

Not feeling Tetsuo & Youth. Lupe needs better production

I like Tetsuo and Youth. Album flows pretty good to me. Lupe is headed back in the right direction.

Oh man, that new Cannibal Ox ft MF Doom track is straight fire.

R.I.P. to The Jacka. Another Bay Area folk legend gunned down.

Yep. Remember the first time I heard him on his track with Cormega, More Crime. Great track and have been bumping it all morning.

Rest In Power

I met the Jacka when I was attending Berkeley High back in 08 at Rasputin records on Telegraph. I remember as if it were yesterday.

He was incredibly nice when my friend and I told him we were fans and we took a pic with him.

I remember listening to Aspen and a whole bunch of different songs whiched featured Husalah and other Mob Figaz songs.

R.I.P Jacka.

What are everyone's thoughts on FourFiveSeconds by Rihanna, Kanye, and Paul McCartney.

I like it

Just heard the instagram snippets of Meow The Jewels. So that's a real thing then.

Glad to see someone share my sentiments for Tetsuo & Youth. He has ggod rhymes on it but as a project it isnt that interesting to me. Except Chopper.

Joey Badass's project was good but I cant see me ever revisiting it. It sounded to similar to me sonically/beat wise

I tried really hard to listen to T&Y a few times and I just can't. Feels like I'm forcing myself to enjoy it so what's the point.

Joey Bada$$ is kind of a novelty for me that is sounding less impressive the more he releases. I like the throwback sound, but like you said it's all pretty similar.

your username looks familiar. did you used to post on d12world/rapbasement/studio leaks?

and I'm pretty sure it was during his cleansing period is when he referred to attempting to diss Kanye, Wayne and whoever else. I also agree with you about the warning, listening to it gives you the feeling of the old, pre-Encore Eminem. Like something off of TES, yeah?

While Em is still obviously skilled on a technical level, it seems he isn't doing much more than professing his skill. Like on detroit vs. everybody.

Yeah man I was on SL.

I had the impression the dissing period was '07ish when he was recording awful stuff like that 'Pistol Poppin' track with Cashis and some of the Koolo leaks. He took shots and played thug a lot during that time, and generally embarassed himself. 'My Darling' seemed like an early Relapse session recording, and he made a point of opening that song by saying he's not dissing people. When 'Talkin' 2 Myself' came out, I assumed he was looking back to the drug spiral, but I could be wrong. He does apologise for Relapse in that track too afterall.

There's a definite TES feeling from 'The Warning'. It's a total anomaly. I am a bit obsessed by that brief period of time between Relapse and Recovery because of it. 'Cocaine' was another pretty cool song that stands out too.

Agreed again on that last point. He's making some ridiculous rhymes now but it feels like he's compensating for having nothing to say.

Yeah man I was on SL.

I had the impression the dissing period was '07ish when he was recording awful stuff like that 'Pistol Poppin' track with Cashis and some of the Koolo leaks. He took shots and played thug a lot during that time, and generally embarassed himself. 'My Darling' seemed like an early Relapse session recording, and he made a point of opening that song by saying he's not dissing people. When 'Talkin' 2 Myself' came out, I assumed he was looking back to the drug spiral, but I could be wrong. He does apologise for Relapse in that track too afterall.

There's a definite TES feeling from 'The Warning'. It's a total anomaly. I am a bit obsessed by that brief period of time between Relapse and Recovery because of it. 'Cocaine' was another pretty cool song that stands out too.

Agreed again on that last point. He's making some ridiculous rhymes now but it feels like he's compensating for having nothing to say.
SL was a hellhole like RB/d12world before it. I was hoping it wouldn't completely turn to crap with all the racism, bigotry, ignorance, but it did. and now we have section80. are you on section80?

I remember that reup period, I wasn't so fond of it either. Looking back now I really didn't like a lot of his stuff until he came back with recovery. While that wasn't too amazing either it still brought some pretty good music. I like spacebound a lot.

I haven't heard cocaine, but since you're mentioning it in the same light as warning I better go listen to it

There are plenty of things he can say, but he just makes it seem like has nothing to say. Hot Stylz did that diss and I think there've been other people lately who's said stuff about him on the low but he's not going at any of them.

The new Lupe Fiasco album is really good. And that's coming from someone who isn't huge on hip-hop, and generally just finds 2-3 "gems" in the genre per year.

The Marshall Mathers LP and Eminem Show are so good that I almost don't particularly care if Eminem keeps coming out with new stuff. But I do love MMLP2.
That being said, T.I. has been really impressing me lately. I'd go so far as to say he might be the best rapper to ever come from the South, outside of Big Boi and Andre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"