The Hip Hop/Rap Thread - Part 2

I am loving Kanye's Jesus Is King album. This is a very powerful album. Can't wait till he does some work with Lecrae.

Jesus is King is trash

Poorly mixed, narcissistic and shallow view of Christianity, and home of Kanye's most bad to Mediocre lines

Don't keep up with rap too much anymore, ever since this mumble rap genre started taking over I sort of stopped listening.

First I have heard of this YG dude, what a tool:funny:.

man so young, a seizure at 21

It was unfortunately probably due to the drug use, but for sure 21 is way too young. And he's only been 21 for like a week too. His Birthday is sometime in December.

80257179_10103557277609079_5851944222709514240_o.jpg

I realized Donae'o is the go to guy or singing hooks on Uk Rap/Grime tracks for over a decade now.

I like me some old skool hiphop.

The fact that the "real" Elton John plays piano and makes a cameo appearance at the end, aside from the Bennie & The Jets sample, makes this song even more badass.

great song, but contains profanity, so has to be deleted. sorry -CC

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P. to Malik B, The Roots' second emcee in their early days.

Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into rap after 5+ years of only listening to old favourites and new releases by artists that I used to like back in '99 to '05.

I like melodic beats and clever wordplay (if it's humorous too then that's a bonus).
I've mostly ignored rap for years because the popular stuff tends to be lyrically terrible and the production is boring to me.

Recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into rap after 5+ years of only listening to old favourites and new releases by artists that I used to like back in '99 to '05.

I like melodic beats and clever wordplay (if it's humorous too then that's a bonus).
I've mostly ignored rap for years because the popular stuff tends to be lyrically terrible and the production is boring to me.

Recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

Who do you like already? Might help with suggestions.

Based on the years you were listening, plus wordplay, I'd recommend Elzhi and Joell Ortiz. Neither are 'new' though. I'm not particularly up to date though either.

Although this year has been very good for the old guard. I enjoyed the new Eminem, Royce, Run The Jewels, Nas and Lox records this year.

Elzhi, there's a name i haven't heard in a while!

Who do you like already? Might help with suggestions.

Based on the years you were listening, plus wordplay, I'd recommend Elzhi and Joell Ortiz. Neither are 'new' though. I'm not particularly up to date though either.

Although this year has been very good for the old guard. I enjoyed the new Eminem, Royce, Run The Jewels, Nas and Lox records this year.

Thanks for the recommendations - at the very least it's given me some stuff by older artists that I can listen to and I've never listened to Joell Ortiz (apart from with Slaughterhouse) or Elzhi before.

Thanks for the recommendations - at the very least it's given me some stuff by older artists that I can listen to and I've never listened to Joell Ortiz (apart from with Slaughterhouse) or Elzhi before.

Joell has had a pretty good run since Slaughterhouse imo. Quite a few good projects in the past few years. Mona Lisa with Apollo Brown probably my favourite. If you liked Slaughterhouse, Joell and Crooked put out an EP this year.

Last edited:
I had a feeling it was a matter of time after it was announced that he was brain dead.

Don't think I'll be able to watch the Mr X Gon Give It To You video memes the same ever again.

DMX had some classics during his hot period, he always seemed a volatile and unpredictable character but certainly had an aura about him.

On a side note I saw Joell Ortiz mentioned above, can't post the tracks but I really liked 'Battle Cry' and 'Captain'. He's underappreciateed as he's not as attached to Em as Royce and Crook are, but he's a proper oldschool MC.

Really bummed about DMX. Been a fan for years. Years. Soundtrack of my teen years at times

Sad to hear about the passing of DMX. I watched the Ruff Ryders documentary last year which was insightful. I had no idea DMX had been rapping since the eighties. It was interesting to see him rapping in the old school eighties style. I also had no idea he was a prolific amateur battle rapper before his recording career took off. The documentary talked about a big battle rap showdown he had with a young Jay Z.

The story of how DMX got addicted to drugs was tragic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"