The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Parts 1 & 2

One of the fears I had was him passing away due to drugs since I read he had problems and how it affected his career.

That's good to hear he was basically done with the movies.

If that week worth of filming for part 2 is too important obviously they are going to have to recast the role for the fourth film or get seriously creative. Obviously I want them to try and salvage his performance.

To be fair, there were crucial scenes left to be filmed with Oliver Reed (namely his death scene) but they managed to pull it off.

He actually wasn't going to die. He was to be the one who got the last scene at the end that eventually went to Djimon Hounsou.

So they changed it to him getting killed off and used a double and a shot from earlier in the film when he was in the tunnel of the Colosseum with Maximus.

Last edited:
If that week worth of filming for part 2 is too important obviously they are going to have to recast the role for the fourth film or get seriously creative. Obviously I want them to try and salvage his performance.

I think they will try their hardest to -- recasting is the last thing Lionsgate wants to do, since they'd have to get the new actor and reshoot all of his scenes. (Which costs more money.) Maybe Suzanne Collins will think of something if Francis Lawrence or the producers can't think of a good story idea.

For that shot all they did was get a body double and used an improvised line from Reed from another scene. That's relatively simple.

If Hoffman had a whole sequence of exchanging dialogue with another actor then that would prove itself very difficult to replicate without the actual actor.

If there's important dialoge his character has to deliver then it's going to be a nightmare. The Oliver Reed thing might not be as comparable as I thought because that shoot from what I remember was quite horrendous with the script constantly being reworked. Reed's death more or less cemented how his characters arc would conclude. This could be far trickier because it's an adaptation of an already existing story.

Is there important dialogue though? Anyone remember how important his role was in the last half of the book? If I remember, there wasn't much of him. They can always give the exposition to somebody else.

It's all going to depend on what his final scenes were, his scene may be able to be removed with no harm done to the story, or it might be vital, or somewhere in the middle. We'll find out soon enough.

I heard that he had about 7 days left of filming Part 2.

So they'll just work around the stuff that he obviously can't film. There is nothing good about this terrible, terrible situation but at least we will more or less get to see his performance.

It's a terrible situation... and it's one I don't wish on either Universal or Lionsgate for that matter.

I don't mean to sound bad, but this is one of the first things I thought about when I heard he passed. He was awesome in Catching Fire, hell all the films he's in. I'm glad to hear he basically finished his part in this film. R.I.P. PSH

His and Sutherland's scenes were so good in CF. Just watching them interact with their pure acting craft was so magnetic. Especially when you knew the real dynamic between the characters.

Very curious to see how Hoffman played Plutarch when he is no longer playing double.

That's what sold me on watching it in theaters. I was specifically looking forward to Sutherland and Hoffman interacting.

Very curious to see how Hoffman played Plutarch when he is no longer playing double.

Well we saw a glimpse of that at the end of Catching Fire.

Glad to hear Hoffman filmed enough to appear in the films. Will be great to see him.

I don't mean to sound bad, but this is one of the first things I thought about when I heard he passed. He was awesome in Catching Fire, hell all the films he's in. I'm glad to hear he basically finished his part in this film. R.I.P. PSH

Its not bad that you thought that. It means you admire his work and want to see more. It was the first thing I thought of as well. We lost an amazing actor and person, and I just didnt want anyone else playing Plutarch. Hoffman was so damn good. So glad to hear he completed 99% of his work on the film, and I cant wait to see him in Mokingjay!

Once again, RIP Mr. Hoffman. Your talent and presence is missed.:(

Last edited:
They in fact probably should have not said anything until after the movie is out & get peoples reactions

They in fact probably should have not said anything until after the movie is out & get peoples reactions
They probably fear the backlash of such a thing, which is why they want to get out in front of it.

They probably fear the backlash of such a thing, which is why they want to get out in front of it.

There shouldn't be a backlash tho. Ridley Scott did it in Gladiator and no one had a clue til he revealed it to the public. Heck I didn't even realize it until last year. With today's tech I doubt anyone could tell it was a body double, cgi , and clever cutting. And I doubt they'd care if they did realize it. The general public doesn't get up in the air about these things. It's a necessity to work around an unfortunate situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"